Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 09-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to *67firebird*
Default converting from a 4 piston caliper to a single piston caliper

I made up my mind and now i just want to get rid of the 4 piston calipers on my 67 bird. mainly because its about $150 per caliper and maybe a little lighter?

So i did some research and i found a set of singler piston calipers from Napa. Only thing is that it is for a 69 firebird and not a 67 firebird, so my concearns are these: Do 67-69 bird share the same size rotor?
do I need to get a new backing plate to bolt on the calipers? or is there an adapter plate i can get that will allow me to bolt the calipers to the same plate?

Thanks guys, Oh and just to let you guys in on something im getting me rear end set up this morning.

Osvaldo

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind
Old 09-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Suspended

rotor sizes are given in chilton, or motor, service manual or in parts store catalogs to verify that the size is the same. take measurements of the distance between the two mounting bolts on your 4 piston caliber and post that here. I can measure what the single piston distance is to compare to.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Osvaldo,

Good meeting you this morning. I always enjoy watching Jerry work. After 40 years of being a Pontiac mechanic, he knows all the tricks to getting things done correctly and quickly.

I checked the 4 piston caliper at the house and the mounting bolt holes are 6-7/8" spacing. I know for sure that you will have to also replace the mounting plate since the 4-piston calipers are solid mounted while the 69 and later calipers were a floating design with totally different mounts. What I don't know is if the spindles were changed. The 4-pistons were only used on the 67-68 GTO and Firebirds, and everything after that were the single piston design.

Mick

Old 09-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If Firebirds are the same as A-bodies, you can use your existing rotors and spindles with the '69 calipers. You'll need to swap out the brake hoses, hose brackets on the frame, caliper brackets and backing plates. The good news is all of those are available in reproduction with the exception of the frame brackets which you may be able to modify so they'll work with the new hoses. You won't regret this swap, I wish I did it sooner instead of futzing with the 4 piston calipers for so long.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 09-08-2006, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You need calipers,mounting brackets and splash shields
If you want to sell those 67s Ill take them off your hands

Old 09-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since the 67/68 rotors are two piece and are supposedly not interchangable with the later rotors, are you sure that a rotor change isn't also necessary? I always figured that a rotor change would also be part of the swap, but just don't know.

Old 09-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to *67firebird*

Mick, nice meeting you too. Thanks for the help today. I hope the rear end works great on my car.

I think im just going to keep the 4 piston calipers mainly because you said they work much better that the single piston caliper. I know i would prob regret it in the future when they go for like 200 a piece. Ive been getting messages about selling these things. Ill be better off with the lifetime warranty anyways.

Im thinking about getting me a 2500 stall converter a good street converter.

Osvaldo.

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind
Old 09-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed
Since the 67/68 rotors are two piece and are supposedly not interchangable with the later rotors, are you sure that a rotor change isn't also necessary? I always figured that a rotor change would also be part of the swap, but just don't know.
If I remember right, they used the two piece rotor on some cars up through early '70. As far as I know, you can use the two piece rotor with the 4 piston or the single piston calipers but you can't use the '69-up one piece rotor with the '67-'68 4 piston calipers.

As a matter of fact, when I started doing the brakes on my car I originally set out to use the 4 piston calipers with new one piece rotors (repro two piece '67-'68 units weren't out yet) but the caliper hit the hub of the one piece rotor. They probably could have been turned down a smidge by a machine shop, but I just went for the whole swap instead.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 09-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, the two-piece rotor is forwards compatible and were used into '69 and I think, '70. I have a bunch of info on these brakes on my website: http://www.my67.net/john/Disc%20Brakes.htm

Right Stuff Detailing: http://www.rightstuffdetailing.com/ is reproducing the calipers and they will also rebuild yours. Note that the FB calipers have much larger pistons than the Camaro calipers although they look quite similar externally.

John

Old 09-11-2006, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Done this a few times.
Most companies sell as a high $ kit.

All you need is 69-73 A body caliper mntg brkts, hoses, rotors and shields.
If you dont drive on gravel roads, dont need shields, and will help reduce heat.

One company sells the mntg brkts seperately for about $25. Have to find the name.
Can get the rest at any auto parts store.
Calipers about $12-15 ea plus core.
Rotors about $12-25 ea.
Hose's about $10 ea.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100