Old 07-10-2014, 11:21 PM

Default Is this Endura repair possible?

Before i attempt to buy a replacement (given my location replacements are not easy to come by) , i was hoping that i may get a few opinions as to the repairabiity of my original buper is. Can i reasonably expect the 3M Flexible Filler(05895)to repair this bumper of mine?, note the larger piece missing in the pic is full thickness x about 3/4" at it maximum. Bumper has many other cracks etc, and seems to have a slight twist as well. Thanks in Advance - Dave

Old 07-10-2014, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yes its fixable with the new products they make today

its rotted because of sun exposure...you have to get it all off

ive fixed many...you mount the bumper..move it up 3/16 or so higher then the fenders and hood...break out the 36 on a DA..and take it down to the fender level..you should be down to fresh urethane..so skim it and move on...you can repair missing pieces too

if youre doing it yourself its your time..if youre paying for it..you should try to get another..the labor will eat you alive..youre just about remaking the whole thing

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 07-11-2014, 06:15 AM

So Its Good Enough To Bond And Bridge That Entire Gap/ Chunk? If So As You Say, Perhaps I Should Fill That Big Section First, Then Fit The Bumper Up And Continue Filling As Per Your Method? I Guess Doing It That Way, I May Be Able To Make Allowances For Gaps Caused By The Twist In The Bumper?

Old 07-11-2014, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

dont know where youre located...a quick google indicates caves beach in the land of mr rockatansky...if that is where you are this may be of no help.

depending on your budget, and worldwide location, this might be an option..

endurabumper.com

another member had one fixed by them and was pleased with the results. hadnt mocked it up to the car so no idea on that end up to this point. may want to PM him for more info on costs?

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=756647

Old 07-11-2014, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

you have to get the twist out...there no option there

yes you can repair missing chunks but you have to talk to the product supplier...theres procedures you have to follw

you must remove the old rotted material...you cant just smear product on top or it wont even make it to paint...and you may have to remove so much material it wont work because you never make it good solid material

if you have experience you can tackle it...if you have absolutely no experience, you should probably hand it off to a bodyman...if you abuse the product it will peal..if you dont prep it right it will peal

its not a smear and paint thing..it takes some good prep work, the only reason i ever suggested the repair is because you said hard to get in your area..you may want to consider a diff bumper...one that doesnt have so much rot...i dunno..id hate to give some advice, ya spend money and time and it doesnt work for you

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 07-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Correct, I haven't fitted the one I purchased from EnduraBumper.com yet, but, he has a '70 that he uses to mock up the bumpers and repair. He also has other years that he mocks up.

He has a walk-around of a '70 he did on YouTube, worth a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB6GwFILU5k

My purchase was an outright bumper, not a repair, which included other hardware, so it wouldn't be a good comparison. If you send yours, it would be much less I would assume.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-11-2014, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That one looks to be toast!! Won't be much left but the metal structure after you get all the dried removed.
I'd replace, but as always depends on level of restoration & wallet!!

Old 07-11-2014, 08:02 PM

The surface you see now in those pics is after sandblasting, so all the crap should be now gone, albeit it still looks like chit. As far as skill goes, i have not repaired a bumper before, but i have a go at most things. My resto thread is here http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=753467

Im not in a position to mount the bumper yet (now welding in 1/4 panel patches), but when i do i guess that will be the time to identify where the twist needs to be "untwisted", and how much more filler is required after the chunks and gouges are gone?

Seems like the jury is swaying towards replacement, not so easy though, i tried yesterday to buy one from a guy in Nebraska on flea bay, but no deal as i dont have a USA address on my PP account. (i live in Oz, though i also have an Orange, CA shipping adress for items i buy stateside). So, i'll keep looking, otherwise i'll repair it and let you guys know how it goes. Maybe Franks will list one soon (though it wont be cheap). Dave

Old 07-11-2014, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i have a good one..i will sell it to you..but you have to do all the leg work on shipping..as long as it doesnt cost me anything in materials i have no prob building a crate...i will drop it at a local shipper of your choice..on my schedule..i travel for work but am home most weekends...

i refuse to ship out of the country...but i will this time.

i have 4 68s and could spare one to someone who has no access to one..i can mount it etc to see how it fits..the ones i have are not rotted...they arent perfect but really decent used un restored

The Goat whisperer

Old 07-12-2014, 06:31 AM

Mark, Thats V Generous, Thank You. I Reckon I Will Take You Up On That. Will Send A Pm Once I Have Some Research Done On Freight.

Old 09-23-2023, 01:07 PM

Default 74 Trans Am Bumper Repair

I have a '74 front bumper which is expensive and hard to find in good shape. I want to repair it myself, I've fixed GTO endura bumpers, but never this rough. Any suggestions on how to repair the missing rubber on the bumperettes, where the rubber is off the steel how to glue it back to the steel, and how and what to use to glue the cracked rubber back together. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230919_181214.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	620414   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230919_181237.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	620415  

Old 09-25-2023, 09:42 AM

Default Endura repair

Howdy,
I recently repaired and painted the enduro bumper on my ‘70 TA. After sand
Blasting unite, apply several coats of SPI Epoxy Primer, which is flexible. Then apply the 3m filler (always apply filler over epoxy). Continue with filling and sanding until your bumper meets your approval, then apply 1-2 of SPI Epoxy primer. Barry Martin is the owner of SPI, any questions are answered with a phone call. I’ve done 3 enduras with excellent results using this product and system.
God luck
Alan

“A veteran - wether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to the (‘United States of America’, for an amount of ‘ up to and including their life.’” Unknown