Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 10-29-2014, 03:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just paid rambow in this thread to put my covers and ACI cushions on buckets.

He did a fantastic job and I can guarantee he spent more than 8 hours, starting from cleaned up and repaired cores.

His price was low considering the time and quality of his work. As 2manyponchos said, there are a lot of special materials, tools, and tricks... not a simple process for even someone with a lot of experience.

Once I had paid for covers, foam, plastics, chrome parts, bumpers, etc., it is clear paying somebody that knew what they were doing was the best decision I made this year.

I am pretty stingy with my car money, but $400 is a bargain to get the install done right.

Last edited by Shiny; 10-29-2014 at 03:18 AM. Reason: spell
Old 11-03-2014, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Subscribed. 64 GP getting done this winter

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
I just paid rambow in this thread to put my covers and ACI cushions on buckets.

He did a fantastic job and I can guarantee he spent more than 8 hours, starting from cleaned up and repaired cores.

His price was low considering the time and quality of his work. As 2manyponchos said, there are a lot of special materials, tools, and tricks... not a simple process for even someone with a lot of experience.

Once I had paid for covers, foam, plastics, chrome parts, bumpers, etc., it is clear paying somebody that knew what they were doing was the best decision I made this year.

I am pretty stingy with my car money, but $400 is a bargain to get the install done right.
heh... yeah and can't forget to include the hours spent helping customers decide what they want do!

Thanks for the kind words, it was cool to be a part of your project Mike.

For the guy who asked about the OPG foam buns for his 63.... RUN don't walk from that stuff. Calling it garbage would be too nice.
American Cushion makes a bun for the 63, that is the only choice IMO.

When ordering Buns from Ames, be sure you specifically ASK for the American Cushion buns- Ames also sells an "economy" seat bun which is the Made in China PUI buns. They are not as bad as the OPG stuff, but still a far cry from the good American Cushion (ACI) ones. Well worth the extra $$

-Ben

Old 11-12-2014, 01:07 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambow View Post
For the guy who asked about the OPG foam buns for his 63.... RUN don't walk from that stuff. Calling it garbage would be too nice.
American Cushion makes a bun for the 63, that is the only choice IMO.

When ordering Buns from Ames, be sure you specifically ASK for the American Cushion buns- Ames also sells an "economy" seat bun which is the Made in China PUI buns. They are not as bad as the OPG stuff, but still a far cry from the good American Cushion (ACI) ones. Well worth the extra $$

-Ben
Thanks for the good info Ben.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
heh... yeah and can't forget to include the hours spent helping customers decide what they want do!
Hey, I resemble that...

Yes, agree completely that getting help making decisions about colors, options on parts and suppliers is worth a lot. Somebody like Ben that has done a pile of these is a goldmine. He recommended a design for me... 4 hours of online catalog shopping for every possible option later, I came to the same conclusion..

Installation is the service, experience and support is the value.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Subscribing...

Yeah, I will be doing a set, possibly two sets over this winter.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-23-2014, 11:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had a local automotive upholsterer do my buckets for my 67 gto and paid a little over 200 a seat. He tore them down, I blasted and painted the frames and provided the foams and covers. He built them and complained that he had to modify the PUI foams a great deal to make them work. I will try the ACI foams next time. The PUI covers seem to be good quality. Irgoatmike

Old 11-23-2014, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can get ACI in Windsor so lucked out there. 64 impala must be same as 64 pontiac fullsize

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.