Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2019, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Guys, what Marv is talking about when he means dead head is that the return doesn't go from the rail back to the regulator, then back to the tank. He means the pump still goes into a regulator, then the other end of the regulator goes to a "dead headed" fuel rail, but the fuel return at the reg is still going back into the tank - this is how new cars work, they have internal regulators inside the fuel tank.

I personally run this GM type setup with pump/reg/bucket in the tank to dead head rails, my street car ran a fraction off 120mph @ 3850lbs weight (only a 400 remember...) so it works.

I'm now redesigning the fuel system to go back to a fuel cell but the regulator will be in the trunk with the single line going up to the rails, pump #1 will be controlled by a Jaguar (basically a ford) FPDM and pump #2 will be staged @ 100% duty if it's ever needed. This is basically to get around the delivery woes of E85 and longevity on the street.

No way would I ever "dead head" a "pump" like you guys are mentioning. Always use a regulator even with PWM controllers for safety, just set your regulator pressure at about 70psi and have your ECU command about 60-65psi. Lower the pressure from the controller at idle and cruise areas if you run BIG injectors on the street.

Last edited by krisr; 09-09-2019 at 09:42 PM.