Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 08-16-2020, 07:13 PM

Default Pontiac GP -77 HD Front Springs too stiff?

So i was sold set of HD frontsprings, they didnt have regulars and i thought why not give it a try then.

I just got my engine back from dyno, and upon setting it on the frame the springs didnt give an inch. Nada. Still locked up at the top.

I dont think this is normal ay? I cant install the top rubber stops to the control arms because of this. Im afraid they have sold me way too stiff springs now. :/

Old 08-16-2020, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cross the part number, it should give you the interchange. You should also be able to look up the spring rate.
They could be trimmed...

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 08-18-2020, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Heads-up all: I don't recommend clicking the link in post #3 above. It's a spam/phishing attempt, and I reported the post to admin. Didn't click it myself - just looking out for y'all...

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 08-20-2020, 08:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Even with a HD spring, it's odd it didn't move. Assume you've left the upper & lower control arm bushings loose and the spring is seated at the top and not binding on the upper frame.

Old 08-21-2020, 10:03 AM

I have torqued the control arms to specs, but spring is seated. I did jump on the fron and it does move a little. But i still cant get the top fram stops to upper controlarm or the stabilation bar linkage installed because it sits way too high.

Old 08-21-2020, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

what is the part number of the springs they sold you? Are they Moog springs?

Old 08-22-2020, 07:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In a couple of my cars, it always seemed that the recommended moog spring was too heavy for my particular combination.

Keep in mind that by the time you put your hood back on, battery, radiator and all fluids, etc, that will add a fair amount of weight. Also, any light parts you may have added such as aluminum intake or heads will make an impact. In addition, an HD spring would be assuming a fully installed AC, possibly a luggage rack full of gear, a family of 5 in the car, etc

An example was my 73 GTO. I ordered the standard non-AC springs from Moog, which acted like yours when I first dropped the engine in. After adding hood, etc it helped, but still too stiff. In this case I had aluminum intake and heads, and a low option car with no AC, center console, manual steering and brakes.

I ended up buying the moog part# for a 6cyl option car and those springs were about perfect!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

68 Firebird-- Street/Strip - 400/461 Eagle Forged Bottom End & Ross Flat top pistons. KRE 325 CFM D port, Ultradyne 263/271 @.050, .4267 lift. Crower Solid roller lifters and 1.65 stainless rockers. Quickfuel 1000 on Torker2 intake and 2" open spacer. Hedman 1.75" headers. TH400 w/brake. Ford 9" w/3.80 gears & 28x9 Hoosier pro bracket drag radial. Best ET: 1.35 60ft, 6.29 @ 107.20 mph, 9.99 @132.33 mph. 3,300 race weight
Old 08-22-2020, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeklm View Post
I ended up buying the moog part# for a 6cyl option car and those springs were about perfect!
It really seems to be hit or miss with off the shelf springs.

I put what Moog called for in my 77 Lemans. Rear was perfect but front WAY too high and stiff, could hardly bounce the front end. So out they came and after combing over Moog's spring charts showing rate, IH, FH, wire diameter etc, I ended up with 78 Trans Am front springs.
Brought it down to where it should be and rides nice.