Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-21-2021, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, guess my dyslexia kicked in again, I do see now that it's PST that makes those, thanks for the clarification!

So I went back and looked at two of the cars here, both are energy bushings, none have grease fittings, and none squeak. But, I did prep the bars, and lubed the crap out of them when assembled. The 442 has like 33k miles, and the gto about 1500, neither have ever squeaked.

Interestingly enough, when I did a search on impregnated bushings, there were a number of others offering them, ones I've never heard of.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
The Following User Says Thank You to HWYSTR455 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OP, could the rubber you mentioned on the bottom of the springs be causing the noise? maybe they are rubbing or binding on the spring or CA somehwere? sounds like you greased everything well enough & installed them all the right way that they should not be making the noise. it sounds like a rubber to metal squeak coming from somewhere. let us know what you find under the car.

You can isolate it by removing the end links or dropping the bar.

Hey thanks 78w72 & Hwystr455, gonna tackle those two things tomorrow..........was at a car show today and was showing one of my buddies the noise, of course it doesnt sound bad outside, you can hear it, but noting like in the vid.

Im wondering about the rubber part on the umi lower arms, i thought with that in there it wouldnt squeek at all......who knows,

Another thing i noticed today my buddy has a 67 gto, i said, can i bounce your fender up and down awhile...........noticed on his car it was much harder to push up and down, but i could still do it with one hand pretty easy........starting to wonder about my spring, my wife can move it up and down pretty easy. lol

i"ll let you guys know what i find........

Rich

Old 08-22-2021, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
Yeah, those poly sway bar bushings are squeakers, I usually use the energy suspension ones. As I recall no matter how much lube you throw at those they always squeak, especially in the winter.

I recall having to sand the bar smooth once where the bushing rides, the paint I used made it very tight.

You can isolate it by removing the end links or dropping the bar.

Ok, you guys were right..........i had my wife under the car today , and the noise is comming from the sway bar bushing, also from the sway bar end links............so i guess im gonna have to remove the bar and grease it up also grease up the end links..........although today, i used about a can of silicone spray on the end links, not

much difference.............wondering if i should get rid of the brackets i have on now for the sway bar.............thinking they are engery suspension pars............

Will mess with this tomorrow.

Rich

Old 08-22-2021, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Use a strip of sand paper and polish the bar where the bushing rides, and use a synthetic paste on the bar. The red chassis stuff works well.

Also, make sure the bushings you use are the correct size. I've seen folks use a 3/4 bushing on a 7/8 bar and have issues. Not sure, but there may be other odd sizes, like 13/16, I can't recall, but same issue.

Never heard of end links squeaking, but do remember back in the day H-O made teflon bushings, but think that was because the only other thing available was rubber. The white teflon ones they had were hard, and helped make the bar 'respond' faster without deflection. They wore fast though.

You can lube the end link bushings too. Make sure the end links are the correct length, many listings are generic, and not the correct length, which can load the bushings incorrectly. The ends of the bar, at ride height, should be parallel to the ground for proper length.

EDIT: Silicone spray isn't a good lubricant for bushings.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-22-2021, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The WS6 T/A's came with I believe nylon bushings on the links, I've worked on a bunch of them, and also substituted them for rubber bushings as an upgrade. I've never had one squeak in my experience.

The nylon may be a better substitute for whatever you have now, just spit balling that material over what you may currently have. You used to be able to buy just the bushings, not sure if the bushings are still available separately, but you could certainly check.

Come to think of it 93 K3500 dually has the nylon bushings on the links too.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 08-23-2021, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just to let you guys know...........no squeeks, took everything apart sanded the bar some where the bushing go.............good to go baby.

One thing for sure, i have the 1 1/4 sway bar and the brackets they supply from energy suspension , you shouldnt have to grind them to death just to get the holes lined up in the frame.

Was wondering are there any stock 1 1/4 stock brackets that would fit on a 66, i see on some stock ones they have a round hole and the other side a slot, that would have been a lot better than what i have.

Thanks again guys

Rich

Old 08-24-2021, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
Just to let you guys know...........no squeeks, took everything apart sanded the bar some where the bushing go.............good to go baby.

One thing for sure, i have the 1 1/4 sway bar and the brackets they supply from energy suspension , you shouldnt have to grind them to death just to get the holes lined up in the frame.

Was wondering are there any stock 1 1/4 stock brackets that would fit on a 66, i see on some stock ones they have a round hole and the other side a slot, that would have been a lot better than what i have.

Thanks again guys

Rich
glad you figured it out. i have some 2nd gen trans ams with the 1.25" front bar & the energy brackets fit & function great & are thicker metal than stock ones.

maybe older cars have different spaced holes? if you can measure center to center of the holes in the frame i can compare to the stock brackets i have & if they are the same you are welcome to them.