Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-25-2016, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default "Start Up Carb" rental

Being the anal, worrisome, nervous and insecure person that I am ... I'm already fretting about when I start my engine for the first time about 1 year after assembly ...

So ... I'll probably end up installing an FI system as the only non-stock component on this entire 68 GTO ... however ... I'd feel better starting it with a carb since an already properly setup carb is something I understand, although I don't know much about setting up a Q-jet.

Anyway ... it kind of begs the question ... does anyone ever "rent" carbs, already setup with a generic, ball park setup for a particular engine? That way a person could install it, hook up the lines, fire it up for break-in without the worry of sorting a newly rebuilt carb, or newly installed FI system.

Break-in is not the time you want to be screwing around trying to get a carb to work properly.

If I had any local "Pontiac Friends" I could probably just borrow one, but A: I don't have many friends B: None of the ones I do have own Pontiacs

Not that I'm asking for this service right now .... just wondering if anyone ever does it ... seems like it would come in handy. Pay a deposit, ship the carb, do the break-in, ship it back and hopefully get the deposit back.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smart man...last thing you want to mess with during a break in.
Varify timing & GO!
Send me a PM and be glad to help you out.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks! Hopefully you will still be here about a year from now

Yep, NH isn't that far, shipping would be easy.

Not mention it would save me from spending $400 on a Q-jet, then pay to have it setup, only to remove it and install the FI later.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I will be in the same spot with my Lemans. Will be doing the efi, but I don't want the computer to be learning while my engine is breaking in.

I have a $5 Qjet from a swap meet pile that I rebuilt, and it works nicely. I found that it emptied the fuel too quickly at WOT down the 1/4 mile. But for street cruising it was a peach. I will use that for break in.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If I had a second car I'd buy a beater Qjet, get it sorted on the other car and then use that.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
If I had a second car I'd buy a beater Qjet, get it sorted on the other car and then use that.
But the downside is less space and less money!

Instead of renting a carb, maybe you could rent someone to run your carb on a similar displacement engine and get the basics worked out. You will only be using the primaries for break in, so it just needs the idle speed and mixture screws tweaked in.

I really don't see it any other way: Make friends, or get a 2nd car!

Old 05-26-2016, 02:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Borrowing a carb is like borrowing someones girl...who knows what you put in her or did to her lol Just kidding!

Old 05-26-2016, 06:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got 3 carbs on the shelf for such purposes. Never hurts to have a backup.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As soon as the carb is shipped, all bets are off in terms of it still working properly.

Buy a core, fix it up, run it on a known-good engine to sort it out. Then you have a known-good carb to use on your "new" engine.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:32 PM
Senior Chief

PM me I have a couple that worked well. one of them was set up for 041 cam with iron heads the other was from a 400 with a mild roller cam

Last edited by 70f400; 05-26-2016 at 09:39 PM. Reason: 400
Old 05-26-2016, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I keep a known QJ,AFB and 2 diff dist,one pertronix and one points in my cabinet just for dyno work and break in work.Tom

Old 05-27-2016, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Learning on an EFI setup is basically just AFR, and the learning happens under different load conditions, based on vacuum, water & air temps, etc. So that isn't the concern on a car sitting still and varying RPM/throttle. And I don't think it goes into closed loop until a number of conditions are met. (most are like that)

The concern would be if everything is installed correctly, and there are no DOA components.

All other considerations are basically the same, be it carb or EFI. Like properly timed, fuel delivery, etc.

You can make some initial checks without actual startup that can verify if the EFI setup is healthy enough to run the engine. Considering FI Tech has great support, I would suggest calling them and ask them.

Since it's on the base fuel map at startup, really the only concern is no fuel leaks, and the ignition is operating properly. But again, calling support would be prudent, and provide an added level of confidence.

My suggestion: Prior to startup, turn the key in the run position, wait until you hear the pump stop, turn the key off for a few seconds, and repeat. Do that several times until you feel confident the system is primed. Check for leaks. Make sure your initial timing is set correctly, and if using the ECU for ignition, make sure it's configured properly for the type of trigger you are using.

I say don't over complicate it, and you will be fine with the EFI setup for initial startup, as long as you take the appropriate precautions. The base fuel maps are considered 'safe', so there is no worry of running lean, and certainly no worry of flooding.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be