Old 01-09-2018, 12:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Gary, you are likely right regarding the adhesive. Although not particularly relevant to old cars such as our GTOs, I've heard others criticize Safelite because they (reportedly) do not always use OEM adhesive when installing front & rear glass in modern cars. This is a major problem since the front & rear windows are integral parts of the car's roll structure. When I bought my BMW (used), it had a Safelite windshield in it. I had to replace it after cracking it, and I elected to take it to a local shop since (among other reasons) they use OEM adhesives during installation. The first thing I noticed when getting the car back was that the rubber window trim surrounding the windshield was much nicer than what Safelite had previously used, by a great magnitude. They also said that Safelite had done a sloppy job when installing the previous windshield. So my take on Safelite is that they are fine, but not great, and I've seen firsthand the difference in quality of materials that they use compared to someone else.

For a GM A-body, the glass isn't really part of the roll structure like it is in newer cars, so the type of adhesive that's used is probably of lower importance. Given the choice, I'd probably rather use modern adhesive which is likely better at preventing leaks in addition to being more secure.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 01-09-2018, 01:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was always told not to use modern urethane adhesives on vintage car windshields since they do not have the black primer strip that allows the urethane to bite into like modern cars. Older cars did not have this and urethane will actually break free of the glass and leak.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:17 AM

GT182,
I don't know about 66, but the 67 Fisher body service manual shows urethane adhesive for installing all stationary glass not strip type butyl. As for piano wire for removal it cuts right through the urethane with the right tool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fisher.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	472035   Click image for larger version

Name:	fisher1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	472036   Click image for larger version

Name:	extrabilder104796_large.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	472037  

Old 01-09-2018, 01:27 AM

SR-71,
I install windshields for Mercedes. There is no such thing as a primer strip. You put the primer on the pinch weld so any car (other than rubber gasket installed)can be installed with modern urethane. Unless it is not install correctly it will not come out of the car or leak. Now if the body flexes a lot it can crack the glass

Old 01-09-2018, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not positive on this but, I don't think that the factory ever used the butyl tape, ie. the 3m stuff you get off the shelf at the parts store. They used something other than urethane but I don't think it was actually that cheap butyl tape.
I've used it many times myself just for ease of use and it serves the purpose pretty well but it's nowhere near as good as the urethane, in my non-expert opinion.
As for Pilkington, that name is as familiar to me as the 'LOF' logo on glass.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry but I wasn't sure what the OEM adhesive is called. All I know is that Safelight said it is now illegal to use, hence they will only use the urethane in the tube for safety reasons. And that is for any and all Classic cars, as well s today's modern cars. The same was used on our 2014 Focus when the windshield had to be replaced due to being cracked.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know what you mean Gary. You are right that they did use something other than urethane back then and I always thought it was butyl until I learned somewhere that it was something else.
I believe it was in the early '70s that urethane was required by all U.S. manufacturers for safety reasons.
I wish I knew everything I could remember and remember everything I knew...

Old 01-11-2018, 06:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So what is the strip type used for other than windshield and rear window installation? At the parts store I go to they have two boxes on the wall. Each are 15' long for 19.00 each.... Butyl Adhesive. I've seen it advertised in parts catalogs for use to install windshields or back glass.

Found. PY had it in their 1964 50 Year catalog on Page 119.

Quote:
RFF43 1964-74 Windshield Seal... Ribbon sealer for windshield.
3/8" wide. sticky, pliable butyl tape used to seal and bond windshield or back glass to the body. Used instead of adhesive caulk bond method used at the factory. Sold in 15' roll, enough to do one windshield or back glass.
As did Ames on Page 119 of G27 and Page 130 of their new G34 catalog. Yeah, I save old catalogs partly for this reason, and if there are any price increases.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 01-12-2018, 05:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not arguing that the butyl tape is not made for windshield sealant/adhesive....I'm just saying that I ran across some info...somewhere....that it was not what was used at the factory. I guess it's just for home fixit type jobs. I use it myself in fact.
I can't swear to the accuracy of the info because I can't even remember where I read it.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No I'm not saying you're arguing Greg. LOL I just posted that as it's in the parts catalogs and shouldn't really be in them. If someone uses it and gets into an accident there could possibly be a lawsuit against someone if a person was seriously injured because of the way glass was installed. Get my drift?

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 01-13-2018, 12:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry Gary...I've been talking to your buddy in La. He's the one that's got me thinking that about you...lol

Old 01-13-2018, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LMAO.... watch out Greg. He does tend to get the fires going.

CHARLES, I talk nice about you.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 01-13-2018, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post

CHARLES, I talk nice about you.
Don't you believe it Charlie..

Old 01-13-2018, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you try this place. http://www.autocityclassic.com/1966-...ndshield-w670/

Old 01-16-2018, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah Hobby, Auto City has the best prices around. It's where I'm going to get the rear window I need... someday.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"