Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 09:01 PM
Senior Chief

Default Engine removal with hood on

This is possible, correct? I would think remove the intake and keep the chain between intake bolts as taught as possible and the chain as short as possible on the cherry picker. How have people done this? Thank you

Old 12-21-2017, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default really ??

are you kidding ??

why not take it off is it welded on ?

Old 12-21-2017, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

never need to take the hood off...even with the intake on...take the intake off and you have even more room...go for it

Old 12-21-2017, 09:27 PM
Senior Chief

Thank you; so a lift plate works? For what it's worth it's a mostly original paint car and I don't really have the room to leave the hood off, so installing and removing again just leaves that much opportunity for damage.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:31 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by younggto View Post
Thank you; so a lift plate works? For what it's worth it's a mostly original paint car and I don't really have the room to leave the hood off, so installing and removing again just leaves that much opportunity for damage.
Since the dawning of the automobile men have put a moving pad or blanket on the roof of cars, removed the hood and set it on the roof. You are begging for problems leaving it on. Alas, you wanted to hear from 1 person what you wanted to hear. I wish you luck.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never used a lift plate...just a chain at opposite corners of the heads...gives a little more clearance to lift and has always cleared the hood easily.... actually had to pull the engine on my very recently painted '67 GTO about 2 years ago...I was more concerned about the fenders and header panel

Old 12-21-2017, 11:18 PM

A pencil outline of the hinge bracket to hood preserves alignment, with two people you can have it off in 5 minutes flat. Why would you NOT pull and set it aside?!? Corvette guys would love that kind of ease and accessibility.

Old 12-22-2017, 05:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, easy to do, have done it a few times with intake on!

Old 12-22-2017, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is like pulling the oil pan in chassis on a Pontiac, yes it can be done, and I have done it, but why would you? It makes the whole job a bunch harder.

By doing it both ways you may save 10 minutes, but it complicates the rest of the entire operation, not to mention making you contort your body working around the hood. One of the, "juice ain't worth the squeeze" instances. It's like pulling an engine out of a van, but during a van engine R&R you don't have a choice but to wiggle the engine out the front.

Agree with leaving the hood on the roof after removal, nice safe place to rest the hood during engine removal. Old piece of carpet, shipping pad, etc.

After working many years as a flat rate mechanic in dealerships the flat rate mechanics are masters at cutting time and work on each job, by finding the most efficient ways to get a job done quicker. That said, I have never seen any flat rate mechanic, myself included, leave a hood on a RWD car while swapping an engine. If flat rate mechanics pull the hood chances are great that it's already been tried and disqualified as not saving any time, or labor to put up with the added aggravation.

Obviously there are people on PY that will disagree with leaving the hood in place, and many times there is more than one way to do a job and end up with same end product. If it makes your life easier then leave the hood on, I wouldn't, but that's my take on it.

Anyone know if an 64-72 A body that you can pull the engine from the bottom?............................

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 12-22-2017, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Always pulled engines by myself..thus leave the hood on...way easier than wrestling with the hood by yourself and risk causing damage...and I worked in a dealership where I WAS the "engine guy" for all kinds of cars, front wheel drive and rwd, never took the hood off any of them.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:04 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post
Always pulled engines by myself..thus leave the hood on...way easier than wrestling with the hood by yourself and risk causing damage...and I worked in a dealership where I WAS the "engine guy" for all kinds of cars, front wheel drive and rwd, never took the hood off any of them.
Almost every FWD car's hood can be locked in the straight-up position or the engine comes out the bottom.

My wife helps me take the hood off if no one else is around to help.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:42 PM

If you're leaving the transmission, you'll be glad you removed the hood to get at those top tunnel bolts in the back. I know i was glad i took mine off.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post
Do you pull a Pontiac oil pan off in chassis too? It can be done, but it's far from the most efficient way to do the job.

I always worked by myself too for 45 years, and I can take a hood off of a RWD car in minutes by myself without any damage, done it way more times than I have fingers and toes. Without an engine crane your kind of out of luck pulling the engine with the hood on, yes? People haven't always had readily available access to engine cranes. Chain falls, come alongs are cheap and easy to store out of the way. I actually have only needed an engine crane a few times in my life, pulling van engines, borrowed or rented one on those rare occasions.

FWD cars I never take a hood off, then again the bellhousing bolts are simple to get to and the hood can be stood up at a 90 degree angle and it's out of the way. No reason to take a FWD hood off when pulling an engine.

You do it your way, and I'll do it mine, I'm not going to argue about which way makes more sense.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 12-22-2017, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just take the hood off and place it on the roof on top of a packing blanket like the rest of the world. Leaving the hood on is asking for trouble where none should be.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 12-22-2017, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As a teenager I was pulling my GTO hood by myself and putting it back on by myself. We had some sturdy hedges I would lay it on while working on the engine.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:24 PM
Senior Chief

Thank you all for the replies. I'm no novice at pulling engines; I always pull the hood off of my other 67, just was curious. Preliminary cardboard mockup looks possible but certainly close; I'll probably just pull the hood. And no, getting a few other sets of hands was not the reason.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jesse, let me know if you need another set of hands.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:04 PM
Senior Chief

Will do, thanks Mitch!

Old 12-24-2017, 04:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Removing the hood risks scratching/damaging it & surrounding panels. Don't know why you would risk it when it does not need to removed to remove the engine.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by younggto View Post
Thank you all for the replies. I'm no novice at pulling engines; I always pull the hood off of my other 67, just was curious. Preliminary cardboard mockup looks possible but certainly close; I'll probably just pull the hood. And no, getting a few other sets of hands was not the reason.
I would not even consider leaving the hood on lifting the engine out.

Leave the hood on to start with, then youŽll know for sure.

JMHO

http://gtoaa.org/
Closed Thread