THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-27-2023, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Another block ruined by Chevy guy

They put thrust brg on #1 main.

Spun bearings and cracked block 455

Bought used engine , someone didn't know what they were doing on Pontiac.

Make sure your engine builder knows Pontiac.

We learned square and round pegs in kindergarten. Only one place made for thrust bearing. How can someone get it wrong.

#2 main cracked in block

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
The Following User Says Thank You to thepontiacman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2023, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Im not a motor guy, know very little about anything mechanical, BUT I have always been under the impression and told that a Pontiac guy needs to build a Pontiac motor. Not the same as building a chevy. When I was looking for someone that was the first question I asked. I went through about 4 guys. The guy that I settled on answered with 'I have blown up more pontiac motors than most guys have ever seen'. That suited me just fine. He went on to elaborate that starting when he was a teenager, he would get a Pontiac motor from the junkyard, build it, race it until it blew then build another. He can do them in his sleep now.

Old 09-27-2023, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
I have always been under the impression and told that a Pontiac guy needs to build a Pontiac motor.
It's a pushrod V8 designed in the 50s. As long as you have a competent engine builder, the make of the engine doesn't matter. Clearly in this case, somebody didn't know wtf they were doing, and chances are whatever they built would've blown up.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2023, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I don't work on other brands of engines, unless I take it apart. Who knows on this one....

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 09-27-2023, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are 5 main bearing in a Pontiac V8. 3 of the bearing look alike(1,2,3, )then the thrust bearing is different and rear main is different.
Thrust bearing goes on #4 main. It's made to go there. The rear main can only go in the rear.
This is why I say a kid can be given 5 bearings and could figure out which mains they go in.

See how the #4 main is machined different to fit the thrust bearing.

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thepontiacman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2023, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepontiacman View Post
They put thrust brg on #1 main.

Spun bearings and cracked block 455

Bought used engine , someone didn't know what they were doing on Pontiac.

Make sure your engine builder knows Pontiac.

We learned square and round pegs in kindergarten. Only one place made for thrust bearing. How can someone get it wrong.

#2 main cracked in block

Criminal stupidity, Preston. Whoever did this needs to stick to coloring books and crayons. Geez, that main saddle got hot.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2023, 08:07 PM
Boost Engineer

You do not need glasses to see the Block is cracked at the oil hole.

What a butcher job.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2023, 08:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Im not a motor guy, know very little about anything mechanical, BUT I have always been under the impression and told that a Pontiac guy needs to build a Pontiac motor. Not the same as building a chevy. When I was looking for someone that was the first question I asked. I went through about 4 guys. The guy that I settled on answered with 'I have blown up more pontiac motors than most guys have ever seen'. That suited me just fine. He went on to elaborate that starting when he was a teenager, he would get a Pontiac motor from the junkyard, build it, race it until it blew then build another. He can do them in his sleep now.
Who are you talking about?

Old 09-28-2023, 08:47 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
It's a pushrod V8 designed in the 50s. As long as you have a competent engine builder, the make of the engine doesn't matter. Clearly in this case, somebody didn't know wtf they were doing, and chances are whatever they built would've blown up.
THIS!^^^^

I have built LOTS of Chevy engines & a handful of Pontiac's...The damage done here is just stupidity! Like what was also mentioned, certain pieces only go in certain places

My Butler Stroker Kit engine that was done recently is the 1st engine that was not built by myself or with my Dad. I trusted the machine shop that has been doing my boring, balancing, head work, etc for decades to assemble it as I just don't have the time anymore.

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Bills' Auto Works Est 1983 & still going strong!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Ambassador Custom Lemans
1957 Chieftan 2dr HT
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421
1966 Ambassador DPL 2dr HT
1966 Ambassador Cust. 2 DR HT
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe
2007 Cad XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
The Following User Says Thank You to Bills Auto Works For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2023, 09:50 AM
Senior Chief

Truly an epic fail. I feel for you. Not to mention one less good block when they’re already so hard to find.

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/60/00/80FD744C-58E1-4DFC-BB99-1BFBBCA846E2/tmp.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to Vid For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2023, 10:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Was there an additional thrust bearing in the #4 position?

Old 09-28-2023, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No thrust on 4. Thrust on 1 and #1 brg on 4

Old 09-28-2023, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You don't have to be a Pontiac guy to know that the thrust bearing doesn't go on #1. Is there any engine where the thrust goes on #1? If you're paying attention, the machining on the block tells you where these things go. Crazy.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Verdoro 68 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2023, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepontiacman View Post
No thrust on 4. Thrust on 1

That's not correct for a Chevy either.

Thrust bearing goes on #5 (rear) for a Chevy.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2023, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Only second time I have seen this in all my years.
Both have been 455's.

Just someone who didn't know what they were doing.

Old 09-28-2023, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With trouble many people have with Pontiac thrust bearings I would have put three of them on there at 2, 3, and 4 Then you could inflate your torque converter like the Goodyear blimp.

Old 09-28-2023, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
That's not correct for a Chevy either.

Thrust bearing goes on #5 (rear) for a Chevy.

K
This. A competent engine builder is one who doesn't pretend to know everything and consults an assemble manual and torque spec table even if he thinks he knows the engine by heart. I never had built a Pontiac when I tackled my first one 20 years ago (it's still running) and had only built a Chevy and an FE plus assorted motorcycles and snowmobiles. It's not that difficult when you don't think you're a know-it-all and let your ego get in the way of good sense and using a manual.

Old 09-28-2023, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In our engine building class, 16 engines. 13 different types. 1 Honda K24, 1 Honda B16, 2 SBC, 1 tall deck BBC, I old Hemi, 1 Mopar 400, 1 Mopar 360, 1 AMC 401, 2 SBF, 2 5.3 LS GM, 1 Studebaker 289. Quite a mix. I have personally never been inside an AMC 401, or a Honda K24. So I insist the students take lots and lots of pictures coming apart. I insist they each buy a book that is specific to their engine family. SA design and Car Tech have one or more books for each of these engines including the Stude. Then use the AERA information for more help. As has been said, you must do your homework, use common sense, and not be a know it all. Going from memory, I think the Studebaker V-8 does take the thrust on the #1 main. A bad attitude toward Pontiac engines is a contributor to some of the failures. Pontiac V-8 is a simple engine. They have 1/2 the fasteners of a SBC. They do have some particular little details that can improve the outcome such as sealing techniques. Every engine has little details that can improve them. That 455 block is a giant mistake. Unfortunately, they can happen

Worst in my career at the school was a student 20+ years ago building a Buick 455 stage 1 engine. He put the cap halves of the main bearings in the block, all 5 of them. Engine started, ran about 30 seconds and screeched to a stop. We had to have the crank re-ground, re-line hone it, new bearings and it was fine. Got lucky sort of.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2023, 01:52 PM

The AMC 401 should be fun, Good engines afaik all came stock with forged cranks and Rods. They like to starve the rear main on start up at least my Honcho did there is a mod to run a line under the intake to help feed the rear main.

Those 401's will rev as well. .. They also use a tapered design on the cam bearings as they progress to the rear of the engine and have large .903 diameter lifters.

67 White/Gold GTO 4 speed sold, 1968 GTO 4 speed sold, 1969 GTO auto sold, 68 Firebird 400 4 speed (455) sold, 65 GTO Night Watch Blue 4 speed sold, 64 GTO Nocturne Blue 4 speed sold, 71 GTO Gold auto sold. 1975 Formula 400 auto sold.
Hopefully to be restored, H-"O" Racing 73 Trans Am SD 4 speed,
Sons 70 Formula 400 auto, and wife's 1974 AMX 360 auto, 1975 Jeep Honcho 4x4, 1965 Buick Special post
Old 09-28-2023, 02:12 PM
Pontiac Performance Author

Wouldn't that thrust have to be hammered in place 'cause there's no receiver cut in the block?