WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 05-31-2004, 07:58 AM

I have wanted to buy a new GTO since it's introduction recently but could not because of several shortcomings, ones that could be readily addressed by Pontiac. To allow such a good car fail seems so unfair. I like this car, a lot, after test driving it and it's competitors, notably the Infiniti G35 coupe, BMW 3 series coupes, Mazda RX8, and viewed only the 05 Mustang GT at the NY International Auto Show.

My views about the GTO are also shared by nearly everyone that I have met at dealers with an interest in cars. Importantly, I had the opportunity to meet an owner of a GTO.........after spotting the only one seen in NJ, at a local shopping mall. I waited for the owner to return and spent the next 45 minutes listening to his praise and criticism of the car, we were of common mind about this car, and he admitted everyone else he know feels similarly ie why isn't Pontiac responding to their audience then????. Overall, this is a very comfortable, fast, and accommodating vehicle for four adults, rarely found in the competition. Unfortunately it is similarly saddled with some unacceptable qualities, causing the typical potential buyer to buy the competition in record numbers, while GTO sales will surely continue to decline.

The poor reception of the 04 GTO was very predictable, with the lack of Pontiac's initiatives to address the problems the real mystery. Given the GTO's absence for over 3 decades the back orders on such a great legacy car should have exceeded it's annual 18K projection ie 05 Mustang has projected annual sales in excess of 100K with more than 10K soft orders on the books already!! The competition has various common features or qualities, including the Holden Monaro, because it is what the typical car owner wants or expects, but not the GTO, why????. Fortunately, most of the needed changes to the GTO can be corrected with minimal capital resources, simply a recognition of the obvious by GM and then a quick commitment is required.

My simple but very telling impression about the 04 GTO began a few weeks ago, with a visit to my local Pontiac dealerships. What became immediately apparent is the 'brilliance' of Bob Lutz ie decontenting an already excellent Holden Monaro, then modifying it cosmetically to be less attractive by each and every change.

The potential of this car is great, just look at the Monaro, SEMA, and other sources whereby a few modifications resulted in a real 'looker.' The following suggested changes would reverse the all to common used sleeper expression by GTO owners and the masses of potential buyers that have rejected this car in favor of the competition. The needed transformation of this plain/dull vehicle into something that truly meets the expectations of it's audience is so obvious, yet Pontiac management sadly remains clueless.

Driving experience: Wonderful, great comfort, power, handling, room for 4 adults, and sensuous sounds to make the joy of driving real once again. Unfortunately it lacks stability control, and possesses a primative/poorly performing traction control system, the later begging for a quick replacement.With a Corvette engine and true dual exhaust system it's hard to imagine anything less than a sweet engine note, despite Pontiac's claim of laboring over the sound creation. It's emphasis of an independent rear suspension is also an overdone emphasis........no other performance or average economy family car has less, except the Mustang.

The SINGLE thing Pontiac/Lutz did do correct was the engine, it's brillant in this car. But even a simple transfer from a Corvette to the GTO could not be done without Pontiac's detracting from it, this time in the form of placing cheap silver plastic valve covers on the engine.

Interior: Overall good quality materials but with tons of feature deficiencies/omissions in a mid $30,000 automobile. Just a few examples are, no dead pedal, seat adjustments that move agonizingly slow, no heated seats (on an only leather interior) , no heated rear view mirrors, no side or head air bags, no sun roof, no single or dual climate controls, no satellite radio, fair/poorly rated audio system, steering wheel controls lack illumination, no rear seat heater ducts, no pass through or drop down rear seat, no safety/insurance collision ratings. Such massive 'oversights' ie cost containment/decontenting is just foolish in this market segment. These same features are contained in 90% of it's principal competitors for obvious reasons.........somehow GM thinks Americans want neither safety nor features, nor amenities............. not to offer the same as standard or optionally is simply ridiculous.

The trunk has been effectively half consumed by the relocation of the gas tank into the forward trunk, an unfortunate late safety recognition, reducing it to the smallest trunk in class, even the RX8 which is nearly 2 feet shorter overall!! Even a flat tire will not fit in the trunk.........be prepared to sit it on the beautiful leather interior. Why didn't GM do something as simple as recontouring the trunk floor pan to take advantage of this 18.5 gallon removal to expand the usable trunk volume?

The lack of attention to detail by Pontiac's mods are evident in EVERYTHING it changed from the Monaro as well. Plus, why not offer the very popular interior color choice tan/saddle.....or is a purple interior seemingly more popular according to Pontiac designers ie I understand purple is a Monaro chosen color, but THIS is the time Pontiac could be positively influential, for a change.

Exterior: Nearly all the mods Pontiac did make were ill conceived, transforming a stylish Monaro design into a plain unattractive GTO. A few observations:

Front-- Why do Holdens get HID (I have heard only) while US get ill adjusted halogens.............I nearly went off the road going 30 MPH at night during my test drive, running out past the low beams........and several other owners complain about the same problem, unbelievable!! Then there is the circa 1994 front grill design, no power image sculpured/bulging hood lines that such a performance car screams for. Hood scoops are passe/juvinille, desired by a small, diminishing, but vocal group of old Goat aficionados, not by mainstream potential buyers (does this mean GM is introducing them in 05??).

And what is going on with the several 'party' exterior colors available, yet few of the more popular American colors. For example medium silver gray, the #1 seller for 2003 by EVERY manufacturer and absent from the GTO palette.

Side -- Because the Monaro is a several year old design to be replaced entirely with a new one in a few years a much needed change in the sheet metal would not be feasible. However, the few changes Pontiac could have made and did were all for the worse. The very European/elegant side turn signals were replaced with stick-on GTO labels. The gorgeous Monaro 18 wheels were replaced with the most unappealing 17 wheel design imaginable. A carefully designed belt line trim strip, as seen in some SEMA magazines would add significant eye appeal for little cost. This car has tasteful lines, only requiring a few OEM add on enhancements, none of which GM did, or did well. Should nearly every buyer feel compelled to buy new wheels etc because of lack of basic design capabilities by the manufacturer? One only has to look at for example G35 and RX8 18 wheels and it's painfully obvious Pontiac is simply inept!

Rear-- Why would a standard equipment spoiler contain a second third brake light??? It's as if it were an after-market oversight.......and this was planned for 18K units by GM?...........another 'I don't believe it'!! To have a spoiler or not is debatable, by far most potential buyers preferring not to have one. Even the spoiler design is poor.........just look at the many after-market spoilers fitted on the Monaro at various websites will convince anyone of this.

And for the lack of exhaust dual splitters GM claim they didn't have the room or time to introduce it in 04 model, perhaps 05. Really?? With a car measuring nearly 73 inches wide GM couldn't figure out how to duct a 3 inch pipe into the rear of a car that had it's entire rear fuel tank removed/displaced, yet allegedly 'labored' over the exhaust sound?? The contour/skin of the rear bumper lacks any kind of design detail. I have seen several artist renderings and after-market rear bumper efforts that is truly beautiful, incorporating rear splitters etc. Just a little design inspiration and creativity could have transformed the entire rear profile into something attractive and deserving of such a performance car, instead we have the often quoted Cavalier look.

The masses of real potential buyers for this car wants something clean, stylish, a bit distinctive, not overly plain or claded/hood scooped...............just look at what the public is buying in the record selling BMW's, Infiniti's and Mazda's. Let's eliminate sleeper from the typical GTO vocabulary...........few if anyone wants to pay $34K for a plain performance/luxury vehicle.

Any competent car company could cost effectively correct these problems, and quickly. The question is whether GM will step up to the plate to preserve and expand it's historically rich market potential for a fine 4 seater performance car, or soon discount them through promotions to move the metal.

Oh yea, I would simply love to purchase one of the 'improved' GTOs, right now...........lets just hope GM is 'awake' and responsive, doing the right thing to perpetuate this car's legacy of greatness!!

Glenn Bayard
Old 05-31-2004, 07:58 AM

I have wanted to buy a new GTO since it's introduction recently but could not because of several shortcomings, ones that could be readily addressed by Pontiac. To allow such a good car fail seems so unfair. I like this car, a lot, after test driving it and it's competitors, notably the Infiniti G35 coupe, BMW 3 series coupes, Mazda RX8, and viewed only the 05 Mustang GT at the NY International Auto Show.

My views about the GTO are also shared by nearly everyone that I have met at dealers with an interest in cars. Importantly, I had the opportunity to meet an owner of a GTO.........after spotting the only one seen in NJ, at a local shopping mall. I waited for the owner to return and spent the next 45 minutes listening to his praise and criticism of the car, we were of common mind about this car, and he admitted everyone else he know feels similarly ie why isn't Pontiac responding to their audience then????. Overall, this is a very comfortable, fast, and accommodating vehicle for four adults, rarely found in the competition. Unfortunately it is similarly saddled with some unacceptable qualities, causing the typical potential buyer to buy the competition in record numbers, while GTO sales will surely continue to decline.

The poor reception of the 04 GTO was very predictable, with the lack of Pontiac's initiatives to address the problems the real mystery. Given the GTO's absence for over 3 decades the back orders on such a great legacy car should have exceeded it's annual 18K projection ie 05 Mustang has projected annual sales in excess of 100K with more than 10K soft orders on the books already!! The competition has various common features or qualities, including the Holden Monaro, because it is what the typical car owner wants or expects, but not the GTO, why????. Fortunately, most of the needed changes to the GTO can be corrected with minimal capital resources, simply a recognition of the obvious by GM and then a quick commitment is required.

My simple but very telling impression about the 04 GTO began a few weeks ago, with a visit to my local Pontiac dealerships. What became immediately apparent is the 'brilliance' of Bob Lutz ie decontenting an already excellent Holden Monaro, then modifying it cosmetically to be less attractive by each and every change.

The potential of this car is great, just look at the Monaro, SEMA, and other sources whereby a few modifications resulted in a real 'looker.' The following suggested changes would reverse the all to common used sleeper expression by GTO owners and the masses of potential buyers that have rejected this car in favor of the competition. The needed transformation of this plain/dull vehicle into something that truly meets the expectations of it's audience is so obvious, yet Pontiac management sadly remains clueless.

Driving experience: Wonderful, great comfort, power, handling, room for 4 adults, and sensuous sounds to make the joy of driving real once again. Unfortunately it lacks stability control, and possesses a primative/poorly performing traction control system, the later begging for a quick replacement.With a Corvette engine and true dual exhaust system it's hard to imagine anything less than a sweet engine note, despite Pontiac's claim of laboring over the sound creation. It's emphasis of an independent rear suspension is also an overdone emphasis........no other performance or average economy family car has less, except the Mustang.

The SINGLE thing Pontiac/Lutz did do correct was the engine, it's brillant in this car. But even a simple transfer from a Corvette to the GTO could not be done without Pontiac's detracting from it, this time in the form of placing cheap silver plastic valve covers on the engine.

Interior: Overall good quality materials but with tons of feature deficiencies/omissions in a mid $30,000 automobile. Just a few examples are, no dead pedal, seat adjustments that move agonizingly slow, no heated seats (on an only leather interior) , no heated rear view mirrors, no side or head air bags, no sun roof, no single or dual climate controls, no satellite radio, fair/poorly rated audio system, steering wheel controls lack illumination, no rear seat heater ducts, no pass through or drop down rear seat, no safety/insurance collision ratings. Such massive 'oversights' ie cost containment/decontenting is just foolish in this market segment. These same features are contained in 90% of it's principal competitors for obvious reasons.........somehow GM thinks Americans want neither safety nor features, nor amenities............. not to offer the same as standard or optionally is simply ridiculous.

The trunk has been effectively half consumed by the relocation of the gas tank into the forward trunk, an unfortunate late safety recognition, reducing it to the smallest trunk in class, even the RX8 which is nearly 2 feet shorter overall!! Even a flat tire will not fit in the trunk.........be prepared to sit it on the beautiful leather interior. Why didn't GM do something as simple as recontouring the trunk floor pan to take advantage of this 18.5 gallon removal to expand the usable trunk volume?

The lack of attention to detail by Pontiac's mods are evident in EVERYTHING it changed from the Monaro as well. Plus, why not offer the very popular interior color choice tan/saddle.....or is a purple interior seemingly more popular according to Pontiac designers ie I understand purple is a Monaro chosen color, but THIS is the time Pontiac could be positively influential, for a change.

Exterior: Nearly all the mods Pontiac did make were ill conceived, transforming a stylish Monaro design into a plain unattractive GTO. A few observations:

Front-- Why do Holdens get HID (I have heard only) while US get ill adjusted halogens.............I nearly went off the road going 30 MPH at night during my test drive, running out past the low beams........and several other owners complain about the same problem, unbelievable!! Then there is the circa 1994 front grill design, no power image sculpured/bulging hood lines that such a performance car screams for. Hood scoops are passe/juvinille, desired by a small, diminishing, but vocal group of old Goat aficionados, not by mainstream potential buyers (does this mean GM is introducing them in 05??).

And what is going on with the several 'party' exterior colors available, yet few of the more popular American colors. For example medium silver gray, the #1 seller for 2003 by EVERY manufacturer and absent from the GTO palette.

Side -- Because the Monaro is a several year old design to be replaced entirely with a new one in a few years a much needed change in the sheet metal would not be feasible. However, the few changes Pontiac could have made and did were all for the worse. The very European/elegant side turn signals were replaced with stick-on GTO labels. The gorgeous Monaro 18 wheels were replaced with the most unappealing 17 wheel design imaginable. A carefully designed belt line trim strip, as seen in some SEMA magazines would add significant eye appeal for little cost. This car has tasteful lines, only requiring a few OEM add on enhancements, none of which GM did, or did well. Should nearly every buyer feel compelled to buy new wheels etc because of lack of basic design capabilities by the manufacturer? One only has to look at for example G35 and RX8 18 wheels and it's painfully obvious Pontiac is simply inept!

Rear-- Why would a standard equipment spoiler contain a second third brake light??? It's as if it were an after-market oversight.......and this was planned for 18K units by GM?...........another 'I don't believe it'!! To have a spoiler or not is debatable, by far most potential buyers preferring not to have one. Even the spoiler design is poor.........just look at the many after-market spoilers fitted on the Monaro at various websites will convince anyone of this.

And for the lack of exhaust dual splitters GM claim they didn't have the room or time to introduce it in 04 model, perhaps 05. Really?? With a car measuring nearly 73 inches wide GM couldn't figure out how to duct a 3 inch pipe into the rear of a car that had it's entire rear fuel tank removed/displaced, yet allegedly 'labored' over the exhaust sound?? The contour/skin of the rear bumper lacks any kind of design detail. I have seen several artist renderings and after-market rear bumper efforts that is truly beautiful, incorporating rear splitters etc. Just a little design inspiration and creativity could have transformed the entire rear profile into something attractive and deserving of such a performance car, instead we have the often quoted Cavalier look.

The masses of real potential buyers for this car wants something clean, stylish, a bit distinctive, not overly plain or claded/hood scooped...............just look at what the public is buying in the record selling BMW's, Infiniti's and Mazda's. Let's eliminate sleeper from the typical GTO vocabulary...........few if anyone wants to pay $34K for a plain performance/luxury vehicle.

Any competent car company could cost effectively correct these problems, and quickly. The question is whether GM will step up to the plate to preserve and expand it's historically rich market potential for a fine 4 seater performance car, or soon discount them through promotions to move the metal.

Oh yea, I would simply love to purchase one of the 'improved' GTOs, right now...........lets just hope GM is 'awake' and responsive, doing the right thing to perpetuate this car's legacy of greatness!!

Glenn Bayard
Old 05-31-2004, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Glenn

Why don't you tell us how you really feel...

I could discuss many of your points, but I'll settle for just one.

You rant on the colors - both interior and exterior.

You want a medium silver/gray exterior color - they have a silver. Evidently you don't like purple, but Cosmos Purple is very close the the 1967 GTO color called Plum Mist.

Evidently you like a tan/saddle interior. Personally I think they're ugly. What's wrong with a purple interior in a purple car?

You have some points, but they're lost in the details.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:41 PM

Well, Mr Bayard I guess we can safely assume that you are not impressed with the new Goat!
However I do not believe that you speak for the masses as your posting would suggest.
As an owner of a red/black M6 I am more than pleased with the performance and looks of this beauty.
Every other owner and jealous on-looker that I have met has shared my enthusiasm for this remarkable car.
Only this morning I came up along side a Z06 convertible at some stop lights, he had the top down, he glanced over and gave me two thumbs up. Even Vette drivers appreciate the power and styling of the new GTO.
I guess it would be boring if we all had the same points of view so I whole heartedly disagree with every "put down" comment that you make about this fantastic addition to the Pontiac stable.
BTW I traded in a 2002 TA WS6 for my GTO. Ther goat blows it away in every aspect.

I think the question is can you be saved?
Old 05-31-2004, 04:17 PM

I actually think the GTO is a potentialy great car, with a few very serious shortcomings.........sorry but didn't want to offend anyone. However, desirability, attractiveness, competitiveness etc is ALWAYS measured in sales success. Plus, given the GTOs absence for over 3 decade the potential pent up demand SHOULD have been enormous, but recently my local Pontiac dealerships have GTOs accumulating on their lots for 4 weeks and growing, offering $1500 discounts etc........hardly a description of a desirable car.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by glenn bayard:
Given the GTO's absence for over 3 decades the back orders on such a great legacy car should have exceeded it's annual 18K projection ie 05 Mustang has projected annual sales in excess of 100K with more than 10K soft orders on the books already!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just another point here Glenn...

Ford sold over 153,000 Mustangs in 2003, so only projecting sales of over 100,000 in 2005 is potentially a drop in sales.

Of course, how many of those Mustangs have 350 HP V8's?

How many have 6 cylinder powerplants?

Betcha more 6 cylinders are built than 350 HP V8's... Who cares how many of the schoolmarm's buy a 6 banger.

We're talking V8 RWD performance cars here.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:18 AM

I'm sorry, perhaps I was ambiguous about the Mustang 05 sales projections. For 05 model year projections are 220,000 units, with over 100,000 units the first several months. I am not interested in a Mustang, really want to buy an improved 05 GTO, and certainly don't want to get into a debate about which car is better. Personally, the GTo rides, handles, and peforms wonderfully, as I cited, only wishing to make a 'blind Pontiac/GM' aware of what mainstream buyers want to see in changes. Perhaps you will be enlighted to what I have said if you read my other post 'GTO Sales Failure', by the Detroit News, May 24, 04, quoting several automotive authorities. Have a good day.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Now that I am seeing discounts, I wonder what will happen. In Michigan, dealers are taking 2 to 3 K off and even a dealer here in Columbus is discounting 3200. Mind you this is the same dealer that was trying to sell rights to buy on Ebay and then had 3K LOA and now is discounting 3K. My guess, if they would have just sold them for sticker or less from the get go we'd be in a different situation.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:15 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ozzy
Only this morning I came up along side a Z06 convertible at some stop lights, he had the top down, he glanced over and gave me two thumbs up. Even Vette drivers appreciate the power and styling of the new GTO.
Are you sure that was a Vette driver impressed with the styling. There weren't any Z06 convertibles made?
Old 06-01-2004, 06:09 PM

"Are you sure that was a Vette driver impressed with the styling. There weren't any Z06 convertibles made?"

Vette's are not my forte, but I am sure it was convertible Corvette. The model? .... I was obviously mistaken.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I went for a ride in one saturday and I will say I was VERY impressed. It was BMW like but with balls.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am seriously considering buying one. Now with the discount, I will buy an aftermarket hood to give it some added looks. I trust it will be o.k.for everyday driving. I am sick of running with the pack i.e. mustangs everywere. The GTO is different and classy at the same time. I like it.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:42 PM

Soupman,
You're right. It is different and classy at the same time. Yet at the same time it is the ultimate aftermarket car. I like the fact that it is not in your face, and I'll keep mine the way it is because that's the way I like it. It also gives you the option of adding whatever you want. It would take just a few things to make this more attention getting (ie hood scoops, dual sided back pipes) for those who want it. It has the performance to do it at the track. Just take off some weight. I used to own a Harley Road King, so I know aftermarket advantages. I also owned a Suzuki Hayabusa, so I know speed. This car gives an adult a car he can take to a black tie affair and a track. It is the best of both worlds. As for reliability, I drive mine to work everyday, 30 miles, have 5700 miles on it, and have not a single complaint. In my humble opinion, I am just happy that I was lucky to be in the market when this car came out.

Black/red 6M
Old 06-06-2004, 04:10 AM

Hi there,

I'm from Australia, and I read through your little bit, the Monaro here is a old muscle car from the 60's and 70's same as the GTO was over there, and so the new car has been designed and made to this old muscle car spec, To me the boss was probably told that and thought hey if that's the go here(Australia) then if I bring this over there(USA) this might just re-start the old GTO car thing again.

So my thinking wasn't that this isn't meant to be a top of the line all extra's added nothing left out type of car, but a pure muscle car that only provides the bits to help you get around and lay the power down when you need to and drops the rest of the crap at the crub.

To also let you know Holden does but doesn't directly make the Monaro, HSV or Holden Special Vehicles does, HSV only makes so many cars per year here they make about 5 different types of HSV car, and they also make the Monaro and the GTO for the US market.

Becuse of the above they can only provide so many units per year of any single car, HSV upgrade normal Holden cars here in Australia that is their normal market.

Also because the car is made in Australia and then shipped to the USA, we in Australia don't have all the little do-da's that you are talking about, heating ducting ever where is a bit pointless when temps can be over 40C or 80-100F not sure of the temp for there. Also most of the other little features you also talk about arn't put into cars here also. so you won't get female voices bitching about the lights being on or the door being open etc.

After reading through your post, it came across to me that you should really look at another car because it comes across to me that your really after something that will baby sit you while you turn the steering wheel around, The monaro and GTO is for speeding around the joint or for cursing around if you wish as well, I guess it's more about focusing on the car it self rather than it doing everything for you.

The looks of the GTO arn't the same as the Monaro and I have seen heaps driving around and they go quite well.

Again in reply to your requested changes etc, The car isn't made nor designed by American's Sure they would have had enough input so that the car would have passed the tests needed to get the GTO on the roads over there.

That is the reason why you don't see bonnet scoops etc, personally I don't think the bonnet scoops do all that much for the GTO, it only adds rice to the car.

If you really really wanted to change the look of the car to something else there is body kits here in Australia you can get, also HSV supply body kits and parts that would fit the Monaro/GTO, also after market companies sell parts/upgrade stages/bodykits for holden cars here.

Your statement about people buying more other cars because the GTO isn't up to spec wouldn't seem right to me, it's probably more due to the fact that they are after a car that has things like you want and when the GTO doesn't provide these things they go looking else where, not everyone is after a muscle car anymore, so they buy the car that they find better fits their needs.

This in no way means the GTO is utter crap I wouldn't say the GTO is a make or break car for GM, you'll most likly find its a car for people who would like a nice car that goes fast when you want it and that is what ALL muscle cars are about, They arn't sports cars they are play toys for the road.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:18 PM

Thank you for enlightening me about your Monaro/our GTO. I understand what you explained, and appreciate it. However, their seems to be somewhat of a conflict to what you say and what I see in the GTO. The GTO is luxurious, ride, handling, quality is right up there with BMW. Why then is the 'options' so scant, or the standard features so lacking?????? I DID read the Monaro has many of the features that are lacking in the GTO.....yet you deny this, I guess I'm confused, because if GM deleted side air bags etc for the US they are bloomy CRAZY.......... Thanks again for your input. PS I bought about 3 years ago a Fischer and Paytel washer, and it is the BEST IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!! Even our much loved and excellent Maytag doesn't compete with it, so you Aussies and New Zealanders know a lot about engineering while serving a much smaller market than here in the US. PS PS I plan to visit your country soon on vacation.......can't wait to rent a Monaro!!!! Take care. Glenn<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zagan:
Hi there,

I'm from Australia, and I read through your little bit, the Monaro here is a old muscle car from the 60's and 70's same as the GTO was over there, and so the new car has been designed and made to this old muscle car spec, To me the boss was probably told that and thought hey if that's the go here(Australia) then if I bring this over there(USA) this might just re-start the old GTO car thing again.

So my thinking wasn't that this isn't meant to be a top of the line all extra's added nothing left out type of car, but a pure muscle car that only provides the bits to help you get around and lay the power down when you need to and drops the rest of the crap at the crub.

To also let you know Holden does but doesn't directly make the Monaro, HSV or Holden Special Vehicles does, HSV only makes so many cars per year here they make about 5 different types of HSV car, and they also make the Monaro and the GTO for the US market.

Becuse of the above they can only provide so many units per year of any single car, HSV upgrade normal Holden cars here in Australia that is their normal market.

Also because the car is made in Australia and then shipped to the USA, we in Australia don't have all the little do-da's that you are talking about, heating ducting ever where is a bit pointless when temps can be over 40C or 80-100F not sure of the temp for there. Also most of the other little features you also talk about arn't put into cars here also. so you won't get female voices bitching about the lights being on or the door being open etc.

After reading through your post, it came across to me that you should really look at another car because it comes across to me that your really after something that will baby sit you while you turn the steering wheel around, The monaro and GTO is for speeding around the joint or for cursing around if you wish as well, I guess it's more about focusing on the car it self rather than it doing everything for you.

The looks of the GTO arn't the same as the Monaro and I have seen heaps driving around and they go quite well.

Again in reply to your requested changes etc, The car isn't made nor designed by American's Sure they would have had enough input so that the car would have passed the tests needed to get the GTO on the roads over there.

That is the reason why you don't see bonnet scoops etc, personally I don't think the bonnet scoops do all that much for the GTO, it only adds rice to the car.

If you really really wanted to change the look of the car to something else there is body kits here in Australia you can get, also HSV supply body kits and parts that would fit the Monaro/GTO, also after market companies sell parts/upgrade stages/bodykits for holden cars here.

Your statement about people buying more other cars because the GTO isn't up to spec wouldn't seem right to me, it's probably more due to the fact that they are after a car that has things like you want and when the GTO doesn't provide these things they go looking else where, not everyone is after a muscle car anymore, so they buy the car that they find better fits their needs.

This in no way means the GTO is utter crap I wouldn't say the GTO is a make or break car for GM, you'll most likly find its a car for people who would like a nice car that goes fast when you want it and that is what ALL muscle cars are about, They arn't sports cars they are play toys for the road. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 06-11-2004, 03:38 PM

Glenn,

I have a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. I'm looking to get rid of it in the next two or three years and have settled on the GTO as the vehicle of choice. Why? Performance and convenience. I'm 6'4 and just can't squeeze myself comfortably into BMWs.

Let me address some specific points you made about the interior:

<span class="ev_code_RED">... tons of feature deficiencies/omissions...no dead pedal</span>
(I don't think I'll miss it much as I rarely use the one in my Grand Prix)
<span class="ev_code_RED">seat adjustments that move agonizingly slow</span>
(not a problem since I'm the only one who will be driving it and I doubt I'll ever have anyone in the back seats)
<span class="ev_code_RED">no heated seats (on an only leather interior) , no heated rear view mirrors</span>
( I live in sunny California and have used my Grand Prix's seat heater exactly zero times in 5.5 years)
<span class="ev_code_RED">no side or head air bags</span>
(I'm fine without them - just more parts to break down or replace)
<span class="ev_code_RED">no sun roof</span>
(sunroofs eat into headroom, which is at a premium for a guy my size)
<span class="ev_code_RED">no single or dual climate controls</span>
(the dual zone in my Grand Prix has always been a source of consternation for the front seat passenger and its practical use is almost nil)
<span class="ev_code_RED">no satellite radio</span>
(why would I want to subscribe to the radio??? I have a huge CD collection)
<span class="ev_code_RED">fair/poorly rated audio system</span>
it sounded okay to me when I checked it out during the GM Auto Show in Motion autocross runs I did in the GTO)
<span class="ev_code_RED">steering wheel controls lack illumination</span>
(talk about picking nits! The steering wheel controls on my Grand Prix work only intermittently after 5 years, anyway, including the lighting going out on them)
<span class="ev_code_RED">no rear seat heater ducts</span>
(nobody's gonna be back there and my car won't see cold weather, anyway)
<span class="ev_code_RED">no pass through or drop down rear seat</span>
(I'll survive, as I have never had cargo that required it with the Grand Prix)
<span class="ev_code_RED">no safety/insurance collision ratings </span>
(What the heck do you mean? Doesn't every car have to pass federal crash safety standards to be sold here in the USA?)
<span class="ev_code_RED">Such massive 'oversights' ie cost containment/decontenting is just foolish in this market segment.</span>
This may be true, but it makes the car more appealing to me. If I hapen to be a smaller target market than GM had in mind, well... they'll sell less GTOs. Hopefully that will bring the price down by the time I'm ready to buy.

The only option I would add for internals to the GTO is a HUD. I love it in my Grand Prix and would hate to lose it.

Other options would be a fully-defeatable traction control (which I would leave off all the time except when driving in rainy weather) and a more advanced ABS system.

I have to admit that I am somewhat frustrated with the quality of my Grand Prix. It now has about 105,000 miles on it and I have had two power window actuators go out (was there something wrong with hand cranked windows that I missed?), the PCM burn out at 49,000 miles (caused by a failure in the emissions control equipment, so it was covered under warranty), two "premium" sound packages with CD players that don't load discs properly (you'd think AC Delco would know how to make a freakin' radio by now), a climate control unit that makes cricket chirping sounds all the time and has since it was brand new... you get the picture.

So... why would I want GM to add features that it may not be able ot pull off well?

I had been looking at a G35, but when I climbed in to check it out, I saw too many electronic gizmos that will require repair or replacement. I also didn't care for the ergonomics of the interior.

The Acura TL is a nice piece, but... it just doesn't ignite my passion like the GTO does. Maybe I like the GTO's styling because it reminds me of my current car, which I think has a subtle sportiness to it. I like the lines.

Subaru WRX? Mitsubishi Lancer? God, they're awful looking cars. Undeniable performance, though...

A nice used C5 Corvette coupe might be nice, but I really want a new car.

All this having been said, I plan on purchasing a GTO and adding an aftermarket hood with scoops (I like the MPD hood: http://www.mpd-inc.net/GTO.htm ). I am also planning on switching to a dual/dual exhaust if someone comes out with an attractive, somewhat subtle rear fascia, putting a new, grippier wheel/tire package on it and, most importantly, bolting on the Vette ZO6 LS1's heads, camshaft and whatever else needed to up the HP to the 400 range.

This'll put me up into the extra $10,000 range, but there's nothing in the 40 - 45k range that really interests me.

The GTO is the car I have been dreaming of owning for literally years, ever since I first visited a Holden website in 1999. I looked at the Monaro coupe concept then sketched a version with a 1970 GTO "bird's beak" grill.

In 2000, I sent e-mails to Pontiac and all the car magazines telling them how cool it would be to have the Monaro in the USA as a GTO. Heck, I even wrote Cadillac and urged them to build a high-performance variant of the Catera using the LS1 in hopes of seeing something like the 2004 GTO on these shores.

I visited Jim Wanger's garage a few years ago to see the Holden HSV GTS he had shipped over from down under.

I was very, very excited when Lutz made the Big Announcement. Finally, my "dream car" was actually going to be here.

I'm saying all this to let you know I am more than a little biased. Yes, the GTO could stand more features to compete with luxury cars. But I worry that there woudl be no "delete" option on all that superfluous stuff. I don't want or need a single thing that the GTO is supposedly missing in the way of refinement.

Keep your DVD navigation system; I'll check the map before I leave or pull over to look at it. Hands free bluetooth cell phone technology? I turn my phone off when driving to be a safe driver. MP3 player and satellite radio? I don't have any MP3 tehnology and anyway, I like to listen to what I want to listen to when I want to hear it.

Give me a capable chassis, a powerful engine and a comfortable seat and I don't care how bland the car looks, as long as it's not Aztek-ugly.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

well said.

And BTW the GTO DOES have rear seat heating ducts. They are mounted at the rear of the console.

www.musclecarsgalore.com
www.nikivee.com
[www.reverbnation.com/nikivee

1967 Pontiac GTO
1967 Pontiac Grand Prix
1972 Pontiac Lemans Sport Convertible
2015 Dodge Challenger ScatPack 392, 6 speed
2017 Ford Explorer AWD
Old 06-11-2004, 08:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Who Send a message via MSN to The Who

Never knew the 1998 Grand Prix had the Head-Up Display, I know my dad's 2004 Grand Prix GTP Competition Group has it(green light at the bottom of the wind shield is what I'm referring to).
Old 06-11-2004, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, it was an option on the 1998 GP.

www.musclecarsgalore.com
www.nikivee.com
[www.reverbnation.com/nikivee

1967 Pontiac GTO
1967 Pontiac Grand Prix
1972 Pontiac Lemans Sport Convertible
2015 Dodge Challenger ScatPack 392, 6 speed
2017 Ford Explorer AWD
Old 06-12-2004, 08:27 PM

Charlzm makes alot of great points about Glens complaints of lack of "creature" comforts. I thought I was the only one who frowns everytime I hear about the new added gadgets that come standard on new cars. I too wish for just manual windows, power windows are a pain in the butt and less realable than the no tech manual windows. Same with power door locks. I leave my keys in the car when its in the driveway and at work. I only remove the keys when I park in a store parking lot and very seldom do I ever lock the car up. I once had someone get something from my car and hit the door lock and close the door. My keys were in the car. Nice, $50.00 later I got the doors opened again. As far as I'm concerned they could of decontented the GTO more. I had to swallow some of my desires when I looked at the new GTO with intent on a possible purchase.

But in the end I walked away for other reasons.
1) arrogant sales force. I couldn't test drive with out buying. Since the time this happened I was informed that the reason they did not let me drive the car was it was in the showroom. Its a hassle to bring it out for a test drive. Why didn't the salesman tell me that?
2) Not enough trunk and interior room for my tastes. I use my cars for more than just hauling my butt around.

After I sat and thought about it I'm glad I passed on it. Its really not practical enough for me. If they made a station wagon version I would be much more interested. Looked at the Dodge magnum, but it is lacking my must have #1 item, a manual transmission.

Insidently the dealer I visited about 2 months ago still has the only GTO he has been alotted. He has taken it to a cruise night at the local Mickey D's when it was GTO night, has had it sitting outside where you can see it from the road and has "see the new GTO" going across his electronic marque for weeks now and its still not sold.

I would think it would of sold quicker than this. I think its lack of stand out styling has hurt its sales. Personally this would not stop me from buying. On paper its better than most cars that one would think its competing against. I think that the performace end really sells very few cars, look at mustang sales, lots of V-6 cars. Vets sell not for the performance end of it but they sell cause they are Vets. Kinda like Harleys. Lots of used vets for sale with low milage, guys buy one cause they always wanted a new vet and after they drive one for a while they realize how impractical they are. Sad to say but styling sells.

I don't understand the cry for hood scoops either. Lots of people saying I'll buy when they add hood scoops or what no hood scoops? If thats the only sticking point stopping a purchase I think those people need to reevalute what they are buying and why. seems like they are buying for styling only to me.