WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:29 PM

Default About to pull the trigger, someone talk me out of it

Ive been looking for a low mileage 06 GTO in either Black, Spice Red or Cyclone Grey with black interior and 18s. Just cant seem to find one nearby, until now. A Spice Red with A4 and 15k. My only problem is Im afraid I will want a M6. I sold my 02 WS6 TA M6 that was the first new car I have ever bought in 05 to go to back to school and have been sick about it ever since. So, naturally, an owner of a 67 GTO w/ 4sp, Ive been liking these new goats. Drove a couple and love the ride and power. Just cant find a low mileage M6 and not sure I want the A4. It will be a daily driver in the summer and dont plan on modding it too much. Maybe the auto will be better in a large city like KC... I dont know. AHHHH, this is killing me!
Old 01-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Senior Chief

IMO....let price, and condition of the car dictate which way you go. Easy for me to say I have an M6 I ordered. My dilemma was similar as I searched for my classic, I wanted a manual, I found an automatic for a nice price and did not hesitate. I have one of each, M6 05' and Auto 70'.
I don't think you'll go wrong with an A4 we almost purchased a SRM A4 last summer at the East Coast Regional in N.J. That would have been the wife's being it was automatic and she refuses to learn stick. After debating it, she decided against it. Now shes itching to drive the 70' once the weather breaks and its ready for the road.

Good Luck in your decision.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Senior Chief

FOR THE NOT SO EDUCATED POSSIBLE GTO BUYER ...........WHATS THE DIFFERANCE?

BOB SLUSSER
937-286-4343
Old 01-05-2009, 06:27 PM

A4 = Auto
M6 = Manual

Thanks judge. My wife will likely get plenty of time behind the wheel and she doesn't do so good with a manual.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

DD + wife doesn't do well = A4. I had to get an A4 for those reasons and enjoyed the car for what it was. If I'm ever able to get another though I'll def. get an M6 as it won't be a DD!
Old 01-05-2009, 10:20 PM

I agree 100%. I think the only reason I may can pull this over with the wife is to say "hey! its an automatic... you can drive too.... maybe"

Like I said, I have a 67 GTO 4sp and there is nothing like slamming the gears. I drive 50+ miles a day and it would be nice to have something to enjoy the ride with. I will still keep my current POS Dodge Durango (wife hand-me-down since I had to get rid of the TA) for winters and nasty weather.

OK, you guys talked me into it. It may be a couple weeks before I can get to the bank, but if its still there...
Old 01-06-2009, 01:49 AM

There`s a gold 06 m6 with 20k miles on it at Crow-Modde Ford in Burlington Ks. $22,900 and it`s been there a month.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:04 AM

Is the red one over in Peculiar Mo?
Old 01-06-2009, 09:25 PM

Its up at Tiffany Springs
Old 01-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Plus, the auto is a tad faster in 1/4.

(you probably know this)

but just in case and FYI:
You might ask the seller if he has had any ingition lock service, replacement or problems.
I dont recall if this problem was limited to certain year(s) or all had problems.

There is a thread in here on this issue, and at the other site. Some have been left stranded when it sticks.

My 05 was dealer replaced after the warranty ran out (bummer...$) and its sticking again (started yesterday)...which is bad news.

Good Luck on buying! You will love driving this car.
Jeff

Last edited by JLHarper; 01-09-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just do it and don't look back or second guess yourself. The mod bug will pop up and as stated the A4's are easier to go fast in. Not that the M6's are bad (I have one). Either way you will love the car. I love driving mine. There is always a bit of disappointment upon arrival at my destination.
Sign up on some of the sites that cater to the newer ones and you will find a wealth of info on how to take care of the issues that some folks have had.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:18 PM

If I can get out of work tomorrow in time, Im going to test drive and talk numbers. Wish me luck.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:39 AM
Senior Chief

No matter which way you go, get as much information on that particular car as you can. Get a GMVIS from Pontiac, don't just rely on a CarFax. Check to see if the car was tuned. If you find it has, make sure the PCM was NOT passworded and cannot be accessed. Some have run into a situation where they purchased a tuned car and developed problems and the previous owner, and or tune place could not be located to unlock the PCM.

You should get Key Codes too. Many don't know this including dealers. Each car had its own set of Key Codes. If you don't have these and in the future you need new keyfobs or to reprogram the radio, or have to access the BCM, you'll need these. Only a Pontiac dealer can get them. They'll need the VIN and proof of ownership of the car in order for them to get them.

Each car came with 2 keyfobs, if the car only has one, request another, they are not cheap. Before taking the car stand outside the car and using the key fob, lock and unlock the car numerous times. (this is checking to make sure there are no problems with the door actuators). Also insert the keyfob into the ignition and turn the key to the on position turn off and remove the key. Do this numerous times to make sure there is no catching of the key in the cylinder.

Check the inside of the tires for excessive tread wear, especially the rear tires. Excessive tread wear could indicate weak springs.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:47 PM

thanks for the information? Definitely good questions to check out.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:41 PM

Went and checked her out. Nice car. Clean carfax. Salesman said he would get info from GM for any past warranty work. My main concern is an "AEM" aftermarket intake. This in itself isn't an issue, but raises concern for possible other non-visible mods like ecu tunning. Definitely drove nice and smooth. Also has a viper alarm.

How can I make sure the ecu is accessible and not password protected as mentioned by judge earlier?
Old 01-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
Went and checked her out. Nice car. Clean carfax. Salesman said he would get info from GM for any past warranty work. My main concern is an "AEM" aftermarket intake. This in itself isn't an issue, but raises concern for possible other non-visible mods like ecu tunning. Definitely drove nice and smooth. Also has a viper alarm.

How can I make sure the ecu is accessible and not password protected as mentioned by judge earlier?

Have the dealer check the diagnostics with a scanner if the settings have been changed it may tell them.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:11 PM

well. They sold it this morning. Back to the drawing board.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:11 AM
Senior Chief

These things have fallen so fast in value that any New GTO over 21k is too much. you can find 04's for 10-12k

05-06 I have seen for anywhere from 14k on up I have seen them with 25k or less miles for in the teens

I like the four seat thing but like the C5 vetttes too those are coming down to 12-16k now too with medium miles.

Its a buyers market out there and will only get better to buy later in 09.

Horrible for sellers. Just plain horrible...

Heck C6 corvettes are already in the high high 20k to very low 30k's

Love these LSx motors unbelievable stuff.

CURRENT CARS
68 Firbird 400ci convertible
Old 01-14-2009, 07:54 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
well. They sold it this morning. Back to the drawing board.
Don't know where your located but here is one nearly identical to mine.. The SAP parts are going for big $$ if they can be found... This car has it. This car is advertised at 17,995 but the advertised price is always open for negotiation...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=
Old 01-16-2009, 01:36 PM

new on here, but an 04 GTO m6 gto owner. love the m6 along with the gas milage that goes along with it. driving forty miles a day i will pull high 20's, spirited mid 20's.
gto65lvr is right the prices on these are dropping hard. you should be able to find an 04 for low teens and 05-06 for mid teens. fun DD.