EFI Tech All things EFI and making classics modern!

Old 09-05-2019, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default EFI controller

What are you guys with efi doing with the controller once you have the tune dialed in? I watched the Sniper install video today and it said once it’s tuned you can unplug the controller and throw it in the glove box or you can mount it in the cabin for on the fly changes. I like the idea of not having the screen in the car messing up the aesthetic but at the same time I can see the benefit of monitoring engine vitals. I personally think once it’s set it should be forgot but I just wonder what other people are doing and am I missing any benefits

Old 09-05-2019, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I was running my FiTech I monitored the engine for the first few months while getting everything dialed in. Once the engine ran the way I wanted and I was happy I unplugged it and left the controller in the glovebox. Didn’t touch it after that.

1967 GTO, 432 (428+.030), 4-bolt mains, factory Nodular crank, scat rods, icon dished pistons, Lunati HR 243/251@.050, .618/.622 lift, Edelbrock 72cc round port heads, 10.5:1, offy 2-4 intake, Edelbrock 650cfm carbs, Super T10 trans (2.64 first), BOP 10 bolt w/ Eaton posi and 3.36 gears
Old 09-05-2019, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I like to watch parameters on the large gauge display that I don't have gauges for. Vaccum, AFR, stuff like that. You don't have to though. Once it's up and running well put it in the glove box in case you need it.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:41 PM

On my car the dashboard has a convenient trim that holds the controller nicely. Since it does a lot of gage monitoring, I removed some of my gages. Once I dial the car it, I will probably just disconnect and put it in the glove box.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:16 AM

I changed my dash temp gauge to the transmission and I use the efi to keep a eye on temp and everything else. I will soon make a mount or bracket for it. I just like being able to see all the engine vital and to see if any error code pop up on the screen. Fast easy efi 1.0 with updates color screen

Old 09-06-2019, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have both my fans controlled by the computer so I like to keep track of the temp since heat is always a concern. I think it gives a more accurate reading than the stock gauge. Then the other day I went for a drive and the readout for the battery voltage was weird. It was flashing yello and would go red sometimes and the voltage was reading low. Turned out my safety switch was out of adjustment and wasn't closing all the way. Nice to get that warning. I wouldn't have known till the battery went dead from not charging.

69 Firebird-462/Edel round ports/currently running the Holley Sniper/4sp/3.23posi/Deluxe Int/pwr st/vintage air/4wl disc( a work in progress-always )

http://youtu.be/eaWBd3M9MN4

Last edited by Firebob; 09-06-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:34 PM

So far I have been happy with the sniper gage display. It can change colors if you exceed limits that are set.

I like to see the water temp and the voltage too.. I also find it useful to see the other things like throttle position. For example is the is your throttle position going back to zero when you take your foot off the throttle. Are you reaching throttle position of 100 when WOT (I am at 85% but at least I know).

Old 09-10-2019, 12:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah watching the display was how I found out he TPS had gone to ****. I'll leave mine hooked up where I can keep track of everything. I like having all the information at my fingertips.

69 Firebird-462/Edel round ports/currently running the Holley Sniper/4sp/3.23posi/Deluxe Int/pwr st/vintage air/4wl disc( a work in progress-always )

http://youtu.be/eaWBd3M9MN4
Old 09-10-2019, 01:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If it fits, a good re-purpose for an "ash tray"!
Quick access and stowage.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:19 AM
Senior Chief

Astro Vent install with a dollar store cell phone clip on mount, hide the cable, no one ever notices it.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:27 AM
Senior Chief

BTW, Old looking radio is a modern bluetooth design with the mic hidden for phone calls, one gauge needed for oil Fitech covers the rest, dont even need a tach unless you want it as Fitech covers that also. MSD box is located under the glove box and with the glove box door back on no one notices it is there. Hidden antenna on right side windshield. IMO you can clean up the interior with the Fitech display as you dont need temp, voltage, tach, etc. No comments on steering wheel, I plan on improving that....but when your deluxe wheel is cracked to badly to use you need something.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1funride View Post
BTW, Old looking radio is a modern bluetooth design with the mic hidden for phone calls, one gauge needed for oil Fitech covers the rest, dont even need a tach unless you want it as Fitech covers that also. MSD box is located under the glove box and with the glove box door back on no one notices it is there. Hidden antenna on right side windshield. IMO you can clean up the interior with the Fitech display as you dont need temp, voltage, tach, etc. No comments on steering wheel, I plan on improving that....but when your deluxe wheel is cracked to badly to use you need something.
What is the antenna and how well does it work? I have one that doesn't work well at all.

I like what you did. My tach is mounted on the steering wheel column. I am considering having that go away too. I got a microphone to install to on my bluetooth radio but wonder how well it might work given how loud my car is despste all of the sound proofing material I put in.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In the 442, which has a Terminator system, I trimmed a small U out of the glovebox liner edge, and I leave it in the glovebox. I can pull it out any time, and if I want, it reaches the ashtray, can prop it up and use it.

The ashtray in the 442 is a little diff than other similar models, but you get the idea.

You do have to occasionally check TPS and trim if needed. I usually would just check it at oil change intervals.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-10-2019, 02:21 PM
Senior Chief

It is retro sound amplified antenna. It works good, but still needs to be in the open to work. Can't stick it in a metal dash and expect it to work. I believe the model number is HPA-1.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1funride View Post
It is retro sound amplified antenna. It works good, but still needs to be in the open to work. Can't stick it in a metal dash and expect it to work. I believe the model number is HPA-1.
Yep that is the one I have. I need to work on getting best location. back window wasn't working out!