Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-02-2020, 08:41 PM

Default 17x9 Honeycomb wheels which brand?

So I see there are 3 different brands and prices vary. Year One , US Wheel, and OER.
What’s the deal are there 3 manufacturers or just different vendors same manufacturer. Any difference between them?

Old 10-03-2020, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

quick search on all 3 show the year one & us wheel are 5.125" back space. the oer shows 5" b/s. prices vary a little depending on where they are sold.

usually, & i cant confirm this, but places like year one dont actually make the wheel or part they sell, they are made by another company (china in this case) & the initial company that had them made usually get the rights to sell them at fist but after that expires, other companies that can sell the same part under their name. just like the first 17" snowflakes, they were year one only, but now a few other companies sell them too. probably the same deal with the honeycombs & other 17" modern versions of factory cast wheels.

Old 10-03-2020, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 17" snowflakes different versions took different lugnuts I think. First version factory style but were not Hubcentric and needed hub centric rings, the later versions I believe had conical seats.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 10-03-2020, 04:36 PM

So few replies. You would think they sold a bunch with. 3 vendors now. But you hardly see any posts on the quality in any search. I want to know if there’s any difference in quality because I want the best one of the three.

Old 10-03-2020, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyVi View Post
So few replies. You would think they sold a bunch with. 3 vendors now. But you hardly see any posts on the quality in any search. I want to know if there’s any difference in quality because I want the best one of the three.
they are all about the same price ~$250ea & made in china, chances are the quality is about the same on all 3. there are lots of threads & reviews ou there on the year one wheels from when they came out many years ago, most all ive seen are positive.

unless you find someone on here that has owned or compared all 3 your questions may not get fully answered. most of these aftermarket companies dont make their own parts, they are made for them by numerous unknown suppliers.. (in china) good chance they are made from the same place.

Old 10-03-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
they are all about the same price ~$250ea & made in china, chances are the quality is about the same on all 3. there are lots of threads & reviews ou there on the year one wheels from when they came out many years ago, most all ive seen are positive.

unless you find someone on here that has owned or compared all 3 your questions may not get fully answered. most of these aftermarket companies dont make their own parts, they are made for them by numerous unknown suppliers.. (in china) good chance they are made from the same place.
Yes you right and i know this but i am hoping someone has first hand experience and tells us but i guess if no one says anything negative than its a good sign. Curious.

Old 10-03-2020, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

At least for the Rally IIs, I can confirm the US Wheel ones are the same as Year One. I ordered the US Wheel p/n from Jegs (saved me about $150!) and they came drop shipped from Georgia in Year One boxes. I would assume the snowflakes are the same.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 10-03-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
At least for the Rally IIs, I can confirm the US Wheel ones are the same as Year One. I ordered the US Wheel p/n from Jegs (saved me about $150!) and they came drop shipped from Georgia in Year One boxes. I would assume the snowflakes are the same.
Yeah that helps since i use Summit and they have free shipping