THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-10-2023, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Jiffy Lube...

I was doing some maintenance on my mother in law's 2000 Explorer with a 4.0 V6 this weekend and was confused over the size of the filter on the car vs. what I picked up at the store.

Like a lot of folks, she last had her oil changed at Jiffy Lube. Back tracing the part number, the filter they put on is absolutely wrong for her application. One would think that if you're business is oil changes, you'd at least get the filter right.

I'm surprised they don't have more lawsuits and failures.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1268.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	610538  

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
The Following User Says Thank You to Verdoro 68 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2023, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I still change my own oil. Don't trust oil change places at all. They recently left my daughter's plug loose and it leaked all over the place. Also overfilled it. Luckily the plug didn't fall out before she caught it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2023, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those places are bad.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 04-10-2023, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The hires dont care. Ok its rare some do. If they are out of certain filter I think supervisor would change to a filter they have. My tire dealer changes my oil when I'm lazy on my truck. He gets deliveries from NAPA daily. I change my cars. Shame you cant rely on some.

Old 04-10-2023, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a really nice, loaded, '96 Caprice years ago. It was a poor mans Impala SS. Had an LT1, trailer package, etc. It had about 50k on it. It had a brand new long block with only 5k on it. The little old lady took it to the Chevy dealer for all recommended service. She had a stack of receipts! During one oil change, they didn't put oil back in it. She left and the engine seized right down the road.

Old 04-10-2023, 02:35 PM
Senior Chief

Unfortunately I have to use these kinds of places for the company vehicle that I drive and I can tell you that they are all terrible, even the dealership!

Do my own maintenance on everything I own as I don't trust any of these places...

Old 04-10-2023, 02:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My brother used one of these places for oil changes. He wanted me to fix a leaky valve cover. Turns out the filter was loose. I went to the place and told them how incompetent their are. They threatened to call the police and I responded that the BBB was going to get a call. Checked all their cars and all the other filters were loose.

Old 04-10-2023, 02:58 PM
Senior Chief

Been changing oil since I was 13 and never once let anyone change oil on any of my vehicles, that includes free oil changes from the dealer on my new cars.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 59safaricat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2023, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It appears that oil filter is for an Explorer, but one with the 2 liter 4 cylinder engine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2023, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
It appears that oil filter is for an Explorer, but one with the 2 liter 4 cylinder engine.
A much later model than her '00 as far as I could tell.

Old 04-10-2023, 06:37 PM
Senior Chief

I went to an “Iffy Lube” once when I had just relocated from GA to CA. Didn’t have any tools unpacked yet and I knew my car was in desperate need of an oil change, plus I had a tire that the TPMS indicated was a few psi low. So I figured I’d spoil myself and have Iffy Lube handle it. Besides the oil change, a nice enough young kid informed me that they also do something like an 18 point inspection of other filters, fluids, wiper blades and tire pressure. “Fine, because the right rear tire is about 4 psi low”. “We’ll take care of it!” he said with confidence. 25 minutes later the car was ready, he tried to sell me every imaginable product and service they had, which of course I declined because it was a virtually a brand new car hardly a year old. I paid and drove away. A minute later the TPMS was indicating that the exact same same tire was still 4 lbs low! Pulled into a nearby gas station, for 4 quarters used their compressor and inflated the tire myself. The next morning I popped open the hood and checked the dipstick. The oil in the pan was so low it barely registered on the end of the stick! Is that how these places squeeze out their profits, by skimping on a quart of oil per oil change?! Never again will I set foot in one of those places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-10-2023, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can't make this stuff up. My sister had her first oil change done in San Diego on a new Mini Cooper S when they first came out. A quick change place, not sure if it was branded Jiffy Lube. They left the plug loose. Before she got home on the highway, all the oil was out of it and it seized. The quick change place agreed to pay for a new engine. It had to be towed to a BMW dealer near LA where she bought it new. The dealer installed a new engine in it. She picked it up at the dealer and hit the freeway back home to San Diego. Heavy traffic on the freeway, stop and go. She looks at the temp gauge, it's pegged on "H". She has it towed back to the dealer. Engine is melted down. Technician forgot to plug in the electric fan module when they put the new engine in! Dealer ordered her a new car. She refused to have a third engine put in a car with 5000 miles on it. New car was fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2023, 12:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dang. Sounds like we got off easy with the wrong filter. I told her I'd do her oil from now on.

Old 04-11-2023, 04:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

NEVER use any of those places they don't give a chit about doing a good job or using the correct parts.

My son-in-law took his Audi Q5 to one of those places. Up until that time I had been doing all the oil changes for him. The next oil change it cam back here. On the Q5 there are about a dozen torx head screws than need to be removed to drop a large flat cover under the engine to access the oil pan drain plug. The cover goes from one side of the undercarraige to the other so pretty good idea to have quite a few screws to hold it in place.

When I went to remove the pan there were only three screws holding it in place and one end of it was shoved in and wedged in place kind of cock-eyed. The screws they did put back in were cross threaded and just spun so I couldn't get them out....LOVELY!

So my daughter had taken here Nissan to the same place a few months earlier so I had her drive it up here on the next visit and low and behold they had the WRONG oil filter on it and stripped out the two bolts that hold the access cover to the oil filter in place. They just turned and would not back out.....LOVELY!

If my math is good that's a 100 percent failure rate. This day and age I wouldn't trust anyone to do anything to my vehicles and why I have a lift in the shop and full service capabilities......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2023, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The quick lube shops have one goal, and anyone who goes to one needs to know what that is. That goal is 10 minutes. In that 10 minutes, the secondary goal is to make at least 1 add on sale. So at least 5 of the 10 minutes is tearing off covers, opening lids and caps trying to make some type of add on sale. Even with all my parts discounts, I can not buy 5 quarts of quality oil and a nice correct oil filter for what they charge to do the entire job. It also takes me 1/2 hour on average to perform a proper oil change and look things over on a car. Not to be harsh but you get your 10 minutes worth and your $29.99 worth at the quick lubes. Only way I would use one would be a lease vehicle or one I didn't care about at all.

Old 04-11-2023, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check your local shops. My tire shop where I hang out does mine. If I supply the oil and filter it's about $20.00! Yes that's it. Last time he rotated my tires(I bought there 2 years ago) and oil change for $20.00. He is young has a family,treats his customers fairly is busy.My 2cts.

Old 04-11-2023, 09:42 AM

When I was about 18-19 and didn't know any better, I took my Fiero (my first car) to a Jiffy Lube and when I drove over the pit ramp, my catalytic converter ripped off. They told me it was my fault because my car was low to the ground (it was stock). They told me I needed to leave because I was causing a disruption. I called the police, and when the police came, they agreed to pay for a new catalytic converter to be installed. I took it to another shop (because the oil hadn't been changed), and the other shop (some Goodyear Tire and Oil) used a floor jack to raise up the side of my car to get to the oil filter. The Fiero has cooling tubes that run the length of both sides of the car because it's mid-engine... and the cooling pipes run under the door thresholds. This idiot used the floor jack on one of the cooling pipes, and it collapsed while the car was jacked up, causing the pipe to bend and the jack to impact my suspension. They bent the pipe back enough so coolant could get through it again... but I was furious. I was also a fool because I should have forced them to replace it. They told me the car was rare and no one had those parts (it was 1997, the car was only 10 years old).

It was literally at that point where I told myself that from here on out, I would do literally everything myself. Since that point, I've only taken one of my cars in if it's under warranty, or I needed something done in an emergency. Every brake job, suspension rebuild... heck, welding patch panels... fuel pumps, basically everything, I do myself now. I just do not trust repair shops. It also goes the same for homes. Half the time when I'd call someone to do work on my home, they'd do a s**t job, because they just don't care. So I've taught myself to do all the electrical per NERC standards, all plumping (sweating pipes or PVC), cut and lay tile, drywall... you name it. Everything except the roof... (fear of falling from high places).

Old 04-11-2023, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had an '85 Toronado back in the day. Just moved so I wasn't set up to do my oil change yet. Went to a local place for an oil change. They have a checklist they use for their multipoint inspection. i was watching them work and afterwareds, the differential oil level box was checked, but i know they didn't check it. When questioned, they said it was front wheel drive. I answered that yes, it is, but there is a differential under there.

They finally checked it but it's amazing to me they had no idea nor even questioned what was clearly obvious.

George

Old 04-11-2023, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I got robbed by a local Jiffy Lube last year. I always thought the reason to go to those places is they are affordable. I took my Ram in for an oil change, declined other services and still got charged $120. They didn't tell me beforehand either, just sprung it on me at the end. The base synthetic oil change is like $75, which is already high but I was willing to pay that. But then because my truck takes 7 quarts and the oil change apparently only covers 5 they charged me something like $15.99 a quart for the extra two.

For reference, the dealership only charged like $65. A way better deal.

I do the oil myself in that sometimes, but its a pain. There is just no easy way to change the filter without making a mess.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 04-11-2023, 12:58 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
NEVER use any of those places they don't give a chit about doing a good job or using the correct parts.

My son-in-law took his Audi Q5 to one of those places. Up until that time I had been doing all the oil changes for him. The next oil change it cam back here. On the Q5 there are about a dozen torx head screws than need to be removed to drop a large flat cover under the engine to access the oil pan drain plug. The cover goes from one side of the undercarraige to the other so pretty good idea to have quite a few screws to hold it in place.

When I went to remove the pan there were only three screws holding it in place and one end of it was shoved in and wedged in place kind of cock-eyed. The screws they did put back in were cross threaded and just spun so I couldn't get them out....LOVELY!

So my daughter had taken here Nissan to the same place a few months earlier so I had her drive it up here on the next visit and low and behold they had the WRONG oil filter on it and stripped out the two bolts that hold the access cover to the oil filter in place. They just turned and would not back out.....LOVELY!

If my math is good that's a 100 percent failure rate. This day and age I wouldn't trust anyone to do anything to my vehicles and why I have a lift in the shop and full service capabilities......
Here is a true story about a Jiffy Lube location in the Chicago area I heard from a regional manager of that company. Years back, a high-end Mercedes drove into one of those locations because the driver heard a rattling noise coming from under the hood. When the car drove in, unbeknownst to the driver, a worker in the pit below pulled the oil drain plug believing it was an oil change job. When the driver drove off after the rattle issue was corrected, he had no oil in the engine and it eventually seized up. Jiffy Lube was on the hook for several thousand dollars to replace the engine. I've told this story to many people echoing what you said, avoid these places if you can!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Ram Air IV Jack For This Useful Post: