PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-73 Firebird & TA TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Where to find a 70 T/A Tail panel filler (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848829)

bober 03-05-2021 09:39 PM

Where to find a 70 T/A Tail panel filler

I'm trying to help a friend restore a 70 TA and he cannot find a tail panel filler replacement for it . AMD makes 1 for a 74-78 but no listing for the 70 . Any one know of a place to get this ? Thanks

keith k 03-05-2021 11:09 PM

You could post in the Parts Wanted section on this site.

Or they show up on ebay occasionally, such as this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-1973-F...wAAOSwzQxgOx3a

The Parts Place sells a repro, but I don't know how good it is.

lfdsteve 03-06-2021 12:15 PM

I believe there is one posted here as of today?
Parts for sale. Seller grtd777?

Pepper Judge 03-06-2021 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lfdsteve (Post 6231523)
I believe there is one posted here as of today?
Parts for sale. Seller grtd777?

Not certain this what you're looking for but I believe the link Ifdsteve was referring to from grd777 was:
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=839519

googled it and located these two from Firebird Central

Rear Body Tail Light Finish Filler Panel

https://www.firebirdcentral.com/1970...p/she-2523.htm

Rear Body Tail Light Metal Panel

https://www.firebirdcentral.com/1970.../she-2522c.htm

No knowledge of the fit or quality though

Formulabruce 03-06-2021 04:17 PM

The parts place unit has ZERO radius on the top that curves to trunk, the mounting carriage bolts are wobbly and not in correct locations for exact fit. The "P O N T I A C " letter holes are not consistent at best. Lots of work to get this part to work. Figure a full 8 hours anyway and multiple on and off testing on a straight car

78w72 03-06-2021 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formulabruce (Post 6231563)
The parts place unit has ZERO radius on the top that curves to trunk, the mounting carriage bolts are wobbly and not in correct locations for exact fit. The "P O N T I A C " letter holes are not consistent at best. Lots of work to get this part to work. Figure a full 8 hours anyway and multiple on and off testing on a straight car

isnt that the case with the majority of parts from PP??

Formulabruce 03-06-2021 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78w72 (Post 6231569)
isnt that the case with the majority of parts from PP??

While probably true, I decided to comment on this subject part and thread based on my own experience with these tail panels.

FASTASSBIRD 03-07-2021 05:56 PM

I got a real nice one, but shipping typically makes it cost prohibitive

bober 03-07-2021 10:01 PM

Possible to see a picture ?

FASTASSBIRD 03-07-2021 10:31 PM

sure, but the last time i tried and ship one to MI it was like 225 bucks due to length

bober 03-07-2021 10:37 PM

Ok , hold on until I get some more info from him . I don't think this is the same part he needs by your description .

FASTASSBIRD 03-07-2021 10:42 PM

Everyone is describing the fiberglass tail panel that the lock passes through and the PONTIAC letters attach to. its about 5 foot long (width of the car)

bober 03-07-2021 10:48 PM

HE's replacing inner outer Q/panel and there's a smaller piece he wasn't aware of needing also to go along with that or he found more rust but he showed me a pic of a part that looked like a rather small part . He found one for a 74 -78 but he needs a 70 . Thanks for you help .

Formulabruce 03-08-2021 10:44 AM

This part you refer to goes between the metal tail panel and the tail light area to rear quarter. Its about 10 " long and 4-5" wide. It is NOT available for 70-73 Firebirds. Many places sell it as such, but it is, in fact , a Camaro part. Better to make one than try to use it.

sd7369 03-08-2021 12:22 PM

When I was working with Goodmark on the quarterpanels back in 2013, I pleaded with the community for a pair of used filler in any condition (even one side would ahve been sufficient) in an effort to make this package complete with the trunk extensions, quarters and tailpanel. Alas I did not receive a single response. Consequently, these are not made by any company as of today that I am aware of.

Baron Von Zeppelin 03-08-2021 01:55 PM

Quote:

Alas I did not receive a single response. Consequently, these are not made by any company as of today that I am aware of.
Tremendous thanks again for your dedication on getting the rear sheetmetal produced for these cars.
Never saw the request for the filler pieces - but i don't have a 70-73 parts car anyway.

However there is a clapped out-parted out-bone skeleton of a 70 Bird about 20 miles away from me in a Jyard, if they are still on it they would be the last pieces left of any use at all.
Will check in the upcoming weeks/month.

NOT A TA 03-08-2021 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formulabruce (Post 6231895)
This part you refer to goes between the metal tail panel and the tail light area to rear quarter. Its about 10 " long and 4-5" wide. It is NOT available for 70-73 Firebirds. Many places sell it as such, but it is, in fact , a Camaro part. Better to make one than try to use it.

Went out and looked at the ones in my car. If it's the curved piece I think is what's being discussed they'd be a pain to make without having one out of a car to use as a pattern. Even with ones as patterns trying to make them without a press would be time consuming.

Formulabruce 03-08-2021 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOT A TA (Post 6232069)
Went out and looked at the ones in my car. If it's the curved piece I think is what's being discussed they'd be a pain to make without having one out of a car to use as a pattern. Even with ones as patterns trying to make them without a press would be time consuming.

X2 on ALL he said ^^^^. I did cut out a pair for Gregggg for one of his cars. I cut way around them.
Since I need to replace one coming up this summer, I may try to get one out in one piece for a pattern, make it a printable template or something.

Tellyshavilli 03-09-2021 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOT A TA (Post 6232069)

Yes the curved piece that fills in between the quarter and the metal tail panel ,bought several pairs of these back in the early 80s when replacing 1/4s on early tas .never heard of now and very difficult to get off

Tellyshavilli 03-09-2021 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd7369 (Post 6231913)
When I was working with Goodmark on the quarterpanels back in 2013, I pleaded with the community for a pair of used filler in any condition (even one side would ahve been sufficient) in an effort to make this package complete with the trunk extensions, quarters and tailpanel. Alas I did not receive a single response. Consequently, these are not made by any company as of today that I am aware of.

Did anyone ever reproduce lower inner tail panel that goes from the trunk floor to the bottom of outer tail panel for 70 to 73?