PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Race (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=419)
-   -   Edelbrock 11 Deg Pro Port (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678896)

Jim Robertson 10-14-2011 12:25 AM

Edelbrock 11 Deg Pro Port

4 Attachment(s)
Four heads (part no. 77849) arrived a few days ago. We have been looking them over and measuring a few things:

The casting quality appears similar to other Edelbrock products - Excellent

The machining appears of very good quality and is consistent over these four heads with very nice surface finishes

I have not had a 12.6 degree head in my hand yet so I cannot provide any feedback on the similarities or differences.

Seats and guides were in a bag in the box.

Seat outside diameters were much larger than the opening in the head...and thus heads will require machining just to attempt installation of seats. Depth of intake pocket is shown on the pics.

Intake ports as cast at the intake flange are .832” x 1.605”

Exhaust port as cast at the flange are 1.478” x 1.10”

Spring seat diameter is 1.742”

Guide length in the head as cast is 2.100”

Straw is inserted into the oil return passage. Oil return passages are not straight through; some of the passage is drilled from the top and the intersecting passage is drilled at a different angle from the deck side to complete the path.

These bolted very nicely an a block that is here. Location of intake valve opening in relation to bore wall looks very promising.

Intake port outline is a quick scribe from a Butler wideport gasket. Note the outer bolt hole location and the water crossover location compared to the gasket. ???

To me these have great potential…but the bar has been placed very high already with the excellent crop of heads that are out. Time will tell if these are worth the extra effort.

Jim Robertson 10-14-2011 12:28 AM

4 Attachment(s)
More pics

Jim Robertson 10-14-2011 12:36 AM

4 Attachment(s)
More pics

Bolted on a Victor intake and carb flange will be positioned .875" higher than the KRE Hi Ports.

Jim Robertson 10-14-2011 01:01 AM

4 Attachment(s)
More pics

R 70 Judge 10-14-2011 02:22 AM

Wow that is one cool looking head! I can't believe it's that much taller than the Highport heads. Very cool :cool2:

bryansMtngto 10-14-2011 05:41 AM

pro ports

well definitly looks like a nice piece to play with.. Keep us informed on work done.

Chris Petersen 10-14-2011 09:28 AM

Thanks for the pictures. Can you get a few more of where the water would enter/exit in the middle of the head?

BrandX 10-14-2011 10:26 AM

Are you planning to work one port and when you get it where you want it, having the CNC program done for it, or hand porting

dci 10-14-2011 11:24 AM

Jim that head looks exactly like the casting I have except mine has the 12.5 or.6 degree angle. I have my measurements around here somewhere, but I cannot find them currently. If memory serves me right they are pretty close to what yours are except it looks like the intake port on the 11 degree is raised a little more. Like your self, I laid the port out up higher initially, but unfortunately the casting I have does not have enough material on the port roof to get a good shot at the valve and not break through. We cut the casting I have in half, and you can see inside the water jackets and something I see that I don't like Is the valve spring pockets are very thin. It looks like you could cut them maybe .050 if you needed to. Something else that does not make sense on this head, is why did they put the intake pushrod holes in. Those should be left out. Don't you think???? Nice pic's and good info.

Don Johnston
DCI MOTORSPORTS INC.
330-628-3354 cell
330-850-5050 shop
Designer of the Tiger Heads and the NEW DCI Ram Air V heads !!

cgeise 10-14-2011 01:44 PM

Its my understanding you can get them with ou the push rod holes -- I am surprised the intake flange does not go up clear to the v/c rail - hmmm

455-4+1 10-14-2011 03:09 PM

Great Jim, thanks for the pics

So will the extra 1.035" on the intake flange add to an already fairly long intake tract with a std victor bolted up ?

Do you see this as an issue in some combo's ?

LMSRACER 10-14-2011 04:19 PM

Comedy Interjection !!!

Everyone,
I don't know about anyone else that ports heads and intakes, but my hands/joints and wrists are beginning to ache just looking at those heads. Jim R., don't forget to stock up on the pain reliever of your choosing before getting started.:pound:

Larry S. :usflag:

Jim Robertson 10-14-2011 06:56 PM

BrandX,
I plan to port one of each and send to CNC...but that might change depending on tracing and machining costs.

Don J,
I am a bit concerned with the available bowl depth. Would like a peek at that cut up head you have. :-)

Don W,
Yes the intake length will be a bit longer in these compared to others. Trend seems to be higher RPM and shorter overall intake runners.

Larry,
I will be stocking up on aggressive grinding burrs to assist in relieving these heads of lots of aluminum.

Jim Robertson 10-15-2011 03:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Forgot to mention these are intake pushrod delete. They do not have pushrod "holes" for either, instead they have pushrod slots. A machining pass has been made through the slot for both intake and exhaust.

Water hole pic is attached also.

mgarblik 10-15-2011 06:36 PM

Don, on the head that you cut open, is there any water near that push rod slot? On the Old Edelbrocks, we broke through numerous times trying to make room for some decent sized push rods. They were very difficult to repair in there too. With the center water passage, I was concerned in that area.

dci 10-17-2011 11:11 AM

mgarblik, we cut the head in half and I cannot really tell. Looking up through the water holes in the deck, it appears there is water there.

Jim after looking more closely at your pic's and comparing measurements. It appears that the only thing different about the intake side is that Edelbrock drilled the intake manifold bolt holes up higher. If that is the case, when you start porting you may blow through the roof.
I just got a new computer and I have not figured out how to load photo's yet or I would have already posted pic's myself.

Don Johnston
DCI MOTORSPORTS INC.
330-628-3354 cell
330-850-5050 shop
Designer of the Tiger Heads and the NEW DCI Ram Air V heads !!

Jim Robertson 10-25-2011 12:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Port mold of the as-cast intake port. The diameter under the seat is 1.75"

JKrull66 10-26-2011 01:12 PM

Kool Stuff...

Jim Robertson 11-05-2011 08:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some progress on roughing these in.

T Syron 11-05-2011 08:19 PM

Jim,
Are you going to keep it an oval port or is that just the way your roughing it in.

Keep up the hard work, you're an asset to the Pontiac performance community.

Tom