PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   61-63 Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=427)
-   -   What tempest projects are you working on (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632461)

c5farmer 05-03-2010 10:02 PM

What tempest projects are you working on

4 Attachment(s)
Here is one of my Pontiac projects. It is a Montana car that is faded, but virtually rust free. It came from a Craigslist ad and we traveled 1800 miles round trip to get it. Being from Iowa, there is no such thing as a rust free car over 10 years of age! Plans are to convert it to a solid rear axle (already have an A body Mopar 8 3/4 rear end), put in a 400 ci engine, 400 turbo trans and leave the body as is and redo the interior to near stock. Going for the nostalgic drag car look. Not restored to new, but new "barn find" condition. Plan is to rebuild the front end and add disk brakes.

What is everyone else working on this summer?

c5farmer 05-04-2010 09:04 AM

I would like to hear from others who have converted a tempest to a solid rear axle. I know it has been on this forum many times about how to do it and what parts to use, but the question is: "for a street car, what conversion gives the best/safest ride?"

Thanks for any input.

tom s 05-04-2010 09:26 AM

you should be able to do a search,it has been covered many times.I have done 3 of them and found coilovers and ladder bars to be easy and has a good ride.Tom

beemergary 05-04-2010 09:50 AM

I 've did two. A 63 coupe and a 61 wagon. Coil overs and ladder bars. Both cars ride as good as my 67 GTO. Doing the rear end in a 63 is not bad. I could unbolt it and put the transaxle back in it. I made my own brackets and have the wilwood brakes. Little Pricey but easily done. The only real work was enlarging the bellhousing area. But I am a sheetmetal worker so just did it at work. Enlarging and centering the drive shaft tunnel is also an easy job. If its a v8 car that helps. Hooker 68 gto headers fit great. Need help give my a hollar.

spartazoo 05-04-2010 10:01 AM

I did my '63 Tempest myself and I had never done anything like it before. It is actually easier than you might think. The rear uni-body frame rails are setup well to convert to ladder bars and coil overs. My 63 rides as well as my 66 GTO and while racing it is smooth enough to drive with one hand and eat a cheeseburger with the other. :D

I have a spreadsheet of everything that went into my build. If you would like a copy email me at kip@kalblue.com.

Good luck and have fun, I know I did and am.

grparen 05-04-2010 01:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm restoring an old '63 Tempest race car built probably 30 years ago into a Super Duty reproduction. Got the car out of Arizona. Has homemade ladder bars and big Pontiac posi rear (4.10 or maybe 4.30). Putting a rebuilt '65 421 in it with solid lifter cam with dual 400 CFM carters on an offenhauser intake. Running 3 tube headers with a turbo 400. Will be painted Cameo Ivory.

tom s 05-04-2010 02:01 PM

do you have pics of the old suspension?Might be my old race car.Lemans or tempest?Tom

grparen 05-04-2010 03:10 PM

4 Attachment(s)
It is a Lemans. I am keeping the old suspension. just detailing it. It is bulletproof. See pictures. Added picture of car when I bought it. Previous owner must have gotten sideways and car got away from him and hit pole.

mechanickeith 05-04-2010 03:10 PM

Still working on one of my 62's. Its about ready to go to paint. Starting to collect parts for my 61 wagon's resto project & getting the body work done on the backend of my 61 that got rearended a couple of weeks ago! Other than that, not a thing going on!!!

GaryK 05-04-2010 04:46 PM

Summer Projects

4 Attachment(s)
Nice Project 63 Tempest you picked up! I am in the process of wrapping up one long project on my 62 Lemans I have had for almost 30 years. Soon to be starting on another I just aquired to use as a daily driver. This one I am keeping all original, for now.
Gary

mjm421 05-04-2010 10:16 PM

Here is mine

5 Attachment(s)
Here is a few pics of my 63 project. Hopefully someday..............Mike

grparen 05-05-2010 09:40 AM

Very nice.

twooldgoats 05-05-2010 10:26 AM

Just trying to get my '63 Tempest race car back on the track in time for the GTOAA race in Wichita July 3rd. Right now I'm pulling the engine and we plan to check it out, probably upgrade to .904 lifter bore and lifter set and install a new cam to replace the one the broken lifter took out at Pontiac Heaven. Sometimes it seems like it's run a few passes....re-do the engine...run a few passes.....re-do the engine.

Jim

mlund12 05-05-2010 12:27 PM

Project

I have a 63, with QA1 ladder bar coil-overs, 9 inch rear from 70 Cougar fits perfect, 389 .030 over, Ross pistons, Lunati cam, Edlebrock intake with Edlebrock 750cfm, Muncie 4 speed, power steering, disc brakes, Keisler hydraulic MC, Hedman headers.....every one had input at some point along the way....some great people in this forum. Tom S had some great pics of his conversion. Mine is in final stages of block sanding now after epoxy coat etc. will be painted with in the next week or so. All chrome work done at Nu Chrome, interior will be next winter.

Best of luck with your car!!!!

fasteddy 05-06-2010 11:47 AM

My 63 Tempest is nearing completion. I am waiting on the package tray from the upholsterer. It is Cameo on blue with a 3 speed manual and the 4 cyl 4 bbl. All original. My 63 Lemans is in progress. Cameo on buckskin, 400 2bbl with AC, PS and PB--stock 2 speed transaxle. This one is going to be my daily. I am going with a different color than Cameo since I do not want two the same.

Hooter 05-07-2010 02:51 PM

My 63 Lemans is nearing completion too. It's painted finally and getting the tin work and lexan done next. Will post up some pics when it's done.

63 tempest 05-07-2010 05:25 PM

hey hooter what did you used for door handles.

'62pest 05-07-2010 07:57 PM

I am getting my 1962 4 door tempest back together after not wanting to tear it down as far as I did because I never wanted to go this far. When funds are available I am buying all new rubber for all the windows and I need my interior redone. Pictures to follow once the engine is back in so it sits a little closer to earth. I am keeping the 4 cyl 1 barrel carb set up. My vision for this car is more of a factory custom. I have a new paint job and a set of aftermarket wheels from back in the day. If anyone has a really good '62 grill that they might want to let go of, please let me know. I will trade you mine, which is the best looking one I have ever come accross, and a little cash to sweeten the deal.

Hooter 05-07-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 63 tempest (Post 3984788)
hey hooter what did you used for door handles.

I compared them to the ones on my 65 Lemans and they look identical. Wound up buying a new set for a 65. Haven't tried putting them on yet since the cars back at the chassis shop, but pretty sure they will work just fine.

'62pest 05-09-2010 07:57 PM

i finally got to a computer where i can see what i am doing instead of using my phone. so after the long awaited unveiling here is my '62 tempest that i have been working on restoring with a touch of my own personal taste. i still have a lot of putting back together to do as well as blacking out wheelwells and the front grill area and interior is the next big expense.

http://gi96.photobucket.com/groups/l...escoupe194.jpg