PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-73 Firebird & TA TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Trunk support rod replacement (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643774)

S Courter 09-05-2010 08:51 PM

Trunk support rod replacement

What does it take to replace the trunk lid support rods in a 71 Firebird? Mine must be broken because trunk lid won't stay up. :(

2manyT/A'S 09-05-2010 09:35 PM

Pull your rear window trim to access the three screws underneath that hold the filler panel on.

The other three are accessable when trunk is open.

Remove trunk lid & (rear window glass) to be safe.

Cars with rear spoilers have a fatter rod.

Be carefull as those torsion bars have ALOT of SNAP to them.

A couple of pry bars & friends make the job easier & SAFER.

lniemeyer2 09-05-2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2manyT/A'S (Post 4091281)
Pull your rear window trim to access the three screws underneath that hold the filler panel on.

The other three are accessable when trunk is open.

Remove trunk lid & (rear window glass) to be safe.

Cars with rear spoilers have a fatter rod.

Be carefull as those torsion bars have ALOT of SNAP to them.

A couple of pry bars & friends make the job easier & SAFER.

X2 on what 2many said.

I would definately remove the rear glass or one slip and it will be history. I had mine slip a few times before I got it in place and was very glad I had took the time to remove it.

x-bird2 09-05-2010 11:49 PM

before removing what you have, check to see if there is still an adjustment slot left to move the rod end into. And yes, even after three decades, those rods still have a lot of snap to them. I use a 3/8 or 7/16 deep socket on a ratchet to release or move them. Slip it over the bar end with the ratchet handle vertical and move it to where it needs to go. Always did it with the glass in, just put a wool blanket folded up several times on the glass as a backup.

beltrunner 09-06-2010 05:22 PM

Just to share my recent experience with these trunk rods...recently replaced them on my '71 Formula with spoiler. Ordered them from Classic Industries. 3 times they sent me the wrong one for the RH side (Heavy Duty one). I finally got the correct one and installed them (didn't remove glass, but padded the heck out of it). The new rods worked great for about a month. Then the trunk started to close by itself again ( on stiffest adjustment notch). So now I'm back to using a broomstick. Good thing I seldom open the trunk, as the fewer things in life that raise my blood pressure at my age the better...

2manyT/A'S 09-06-2010 07:01 PM

That's SO typical of alot of reproduction parts. (they look great,but don't work well/last for very long)

I'll go out of my way to hunt down good ORIGINALS.