View Single Post
Old 07-22-2020, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With electric fan(s) installed and the belt-driven fan removed, the shroud does not have a useful purpose any longer, since it is designed to establish a "seal" with the belt-driven fan and pull air through the entire surface area of the radiator. Does the shroud need to be removed when using electric fans? If it still fits with the electric fans installed, not necessarily, but I would remove it. It's possible that the shroud would act as an obstruction for the air being pushed out by the electric fans.

Honestly, I frequently see a lot of bad "engineering" when people install electric fans on their cars, and they often don't help the engine run any cooler. If you install an electric fan directly on the fin surface of your radiator, it's only pulling air through the part of the radiator where the fan is mounted, not the entire surface area. This is the most common folly I see. If you want to use an electric fan correctly, it needs to be installed in conjunction with its own shroud (not the original) so that it can pull air through the entire radiator. Also needs to have flaps to allow for air passage at higher speeds. Very unlikely that an electric fan with its own shroud will fit underneath the OEM shroud. You can see where this is going...

Personally, I just stick with a belt-driven fan and OEM shroud. Works in my GTO. Works in my BMW track car that lives at WOT for extended periods of time on the road course. Unless you're going for every tenth at the drag strip, I don't see the point.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 07-22-2020 at 04:36 PM.