View Single Post
Old 08-14-2016, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry for slow posting, though I have been knocking some stuff out. With the heat index in the 105-115 range, it's tough to be motivated into going out in the garage.

Some have probably seen my rear deck and how I originally mounted a air of 6x9s and a pair of 10" subs. I did that in like the mid-90s, and always wanted to clean it up some, and build boxes for the subs, and not run them free-air. So I did...

Here's a shot of the original deck, was 1" solid pine, splitting from moisture, heat, and age.

Then some shots of me mocking, measuring, and creating the new rear deck. I used the original pieces and made some cardboard cutouts, held it up to the deck, and made it a little cleaner.

You can see I created 2 centerlines, one from front to rear, and one from side to side of the car. I then measured, and spaced where the speakers would go, and used the supplied templates with the speakers to make the holes.

I created 2 separate sides, for two reasons, one, the rear deck in my car isn't completely flat, had a slight arch to it, and to take some of that out, I even beat the forward portion down a bit. Second reason is that with the sub boxes, as one piece, it would be big, and difficult to manage/install.

So the spec for the subs is .65, I used .67 cubic feet (internal), since that's just the way it worked out. I had to use the area I had to work with, but feel it's close enough. Built the box, cut the deck, and glued/screwed the box to the bottom of the deck. (all 3/4" MDF). Then covered it with sub box carpet. I have some PV stack corner protectors that I will put on the bottom corners so they don't get beat up in the trunk.

On the bottom of the deck, I sprayed it with bed liner, so in case someone DOES stick their' head up there and look, it won't be raw MDF, and not look too bad. The bed liner should help keep the MDF from absorbing moisture too. It looks good, has a slight texture, is dry to the touch, and has a matt finish.

Once in the car, I will cover the top and down the back seat area with Dynamat, and then the deck insert will go over top, will look great.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RearDeck01.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	434666   Click image for larger version

Name:	SpeakerPlacement01.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	434667   Click image for larger version

Name:	RearDeck03.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	434668   Click image for larger version

Name:	RearDeck09.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	434669   Click image for larger version

Name:	RearDeck10.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	434670  

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be