Thread: 1967 GTO HO
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2021, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post
Notice that the brake lines running down the frame and to the rear drums do not have these cooling coils.
It's kinda hard to see in the photos above, but the spiral shielding was used on the fuel & brake lines near the rear of the car where they pass through and over the driver side mounting bracket for the lower control arm. If you go to the original Bring A Trailer listing and look at the higher resolution photos, you can see it (also see attached photo from the BaT listing).

My '66 had them in that rearward location from factory, as did all A-bodies I would assume. So to say the spiral shielding was used exclusively for heat protection is not entirely accurate. In the forward location on this H.O., they helped protect from heat. In the rearward section, they helped protect from abrasion.

Edit: I just had a thought... Could the spiral coils have been used in the rearward section to protect from heat generated by the muffler rather than for protection from abrasion? Maybe it serves both purposes?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67HO.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	574504  

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 10-05-2021 at 01:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZeGermanHam For This Useful Post: