View Single Post
Old 06-02-2021, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Excellent work on the console. I bought one from the classifieds here. I had high hopes for it but it turned out to be, l think, an absolutely useless piece of crap. Seems way more pitted than what you started with there.. l mean as in cheese grater rough...but after seeing yours I may have to take another look at it.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk
Thanks, Greg. Yeah, I was kinda disappointed when my console top arrived in the mail, too. What I learned in the process of cleaning mine up is that many of the pits in-between the ribs can be sanded down and somewhat concealed under paint. That helps the overall appearance a good amount. There isn't anything that can be done about pits on the unpainted chrome parts of course, but smoothing out the parts that get painted goes a long way. Might be worth a try with your console.

I figure I'll just use this console top for a little while, get some miles on the car and shake out any bugs, etc., then go back on the hunt for a console top in better shape, or have mine professionally restored.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild