View Single Post
Old 02-20-2023, 11:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Afternoon of tinkering told me I have the right idea, but my execution needs some refinement.

I tried the traditional application method with a squeegee, blotting with a high density sponge, dry brushing the paint on and using it as a mask with spray paint. They all gave pretty much the same result which was blurry and globby text. One time I got a half way acceptable AC logo, but overall what I was doing clearly wasn't working. The good news is the screens are totally resuable and wash off easily with some brake cleaner.

After about 20 attempts, I gave up trying to get a clean pull and did some more research. It turns out I'm using the wrong screen mesh. I'm using screens made for t-shirt printing which are pretty coarse (140). I need a finer screen for the detail and the smooth metal surface - roughly double what I was using (305). I may also need a thicker solvent-based silkscreen ink to prevent bleeding ( I was using Rustoleum enamel), but I think the screen mesh is a bulk of the problem. I now know twice as much about screen printing as I did yesterday.

Back to the drawing board...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0542.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	607616   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0540 (1).jpg
Views:	393
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	607617  

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)