View Single Post
Old 07-04-2021, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Small update for the 4th of July. I received a few photos of the body from the painter. The body has been taken apart again and fully cleaned. He mentioned that they did some sort of acid wash to fully neutralize any surface rust. Once that was all cleaned up he got it sealed. Now he is moving onto leveling. This bodywork photos are older and just show the sealer primer, though. Also check out the paint sample card. Looks good to me!

I also finally received my new Holley Sniper EFI fuel tank and pump, but I'm still waiting on my exhaust system w/manifolds and engine pulleys from RARE, which have been on backorder since April. The supply chain is making life difficult right now, for sure.

On my end, I finally got the dash squared away. It's a new dash bezel, new in-dash tach (I'm excited to have that), new headlight switch, ignition switch, and cigar lighter, but original primary gauges. The dash bezel took a little but of finessing to get set up. One of the mounting posts for the gauges was about 3/16" too long, which prevented the gauges from laying flat one the bezel. Also, one of the pre-marked lines for cutting the A/C opening was a little off and needed to be opened up a bit. Both issues were easy enough to remedy. For the walnut veneer, I applied three coats of Minwax wipe-on polyurethane, which goes on very thin. It resulted in somewhat of a satin finish, which I'm happy with. I also reset the odometer to zero, since the car had been driven for decades with the speedometer and odometer wildly off due to the previous owner installing 3:91 gears without changing the speedo gear in the trans. The car is being reborn anyway, so I figure why not.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 07-04-2021 at 06:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZeGermanHam For This Useful Post: