Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-14-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnGTO View Post
I tried to fit 235/55/17 wheels for my 69 GTO with unpleasant results: they won't fit in the front (I can't turn the wheels more than maybe 20 degrees).

The rims are YearOne Rally II 17x8 with 4 1/2 backspacing. Y1 says that 245/45/17 should fit but I'd like to have a bit higher profile because of the look. It feels weird to have smaller tire diameter (25.7" vs. 26.4") while switching from 14" rims to 17" wheels.

Has anybody been luckier than I? Has someone been able to to fit larger than 245/45/17 front tire in a 69 GTO?

Another issue: there was discussion on the thread size with the Y1 17" Rally IIs. What is the final consensus: should I change the threads for longer ones or use the ET lugs? Or just go with the lug nuts that came with the Y1 wheel set?
Ok, The manufacture spec'd one size tire and you went taller... should anyone be surprised that they rub when you turn.

I don't know why everyone is obsessed with such a tall sidewall. If you go to the length of changing wheels and tires on a car, especially a modern set of wheels on an older car you will pretty much always have to lower it to get it to look right. I have these wheels and the tires I have are 25.94" tall. They looked goofy when the car was on its stock suspension and look fine since I lowered it a bit (read: fills out the wheel well).

/End rant.

As for possible solutions to your rubbing issue:
-Different tires on the front.
-Cut/pull/roll the front fenders and inner fenders to gain clearance.
-Live with the crappy turning radius.
-Somehow raise the front of the car to provide more room for the taller tires (stupid/dangerous).
-Return to stock wheels/tire.
-Different tires on the front.

I have 255/45/17s on 9" wide YO Rally IIs and they rubbed when I dropped the front on coils 3" to see how it looked. At my current ride height of about 1.5" drop I have no rubbing issues and I will go lower when I get time to roll the fenders. I am not trying to be a dick but you may need to move some metal/ get different tires to achieve the looks you want.