Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-22-2017, 07:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default HELP! I'm out of cooling ideas.......

1800 miles on the new build in the '67 Bird and I still can't get it to run cool.

During the day (75*-80*) the car will be pushing 210* - 215* (sometimes higher) after 15 miles at 55mph (<2500rpm) and a stop light or three.
At night (60*-70*) it will run anywhere from 190* to 205*.
Idling it usually stays around 190*.

So far I've tried 2 different radiators; a 4 row Champion & a 2 row, 3 pass, radiator.
I have 2 electric fans (Spal 11" & 12") with a shroud. (2300 cfm +/-)
High flow 180* thermostat.
FlowKooler pump that the divider plate has been clearanced on.
Total system capacity is about 3 gallons +/-. (Bottom filled 469cid with E-Heads @ 10.25:1)
2 quarts antifreeze
1 bottle "Water Wetter" & the rest distilled water.

I have an inline coolant filter and can see that the thermostat is opening when it should & the flow looks good.
There is an AC condenser a couple of inches in front of the radiator, but I can feel the fans pulling air through it pretty good. (AC is not hooked up yet.)

I did the divider plate today & was hoping that would cure my problem, but it didn't.

The only other thing I can think of right now is to step up to the better Spal fans which should give me around 3200 cfm, but will cost $370!!!

Anyone have any suggestions?

There is no try. - Yoda

1967 Firebird Restoration 2005 - 1/25/2017