The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2018, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Floor/torque box/frame rail

So I have searched and am surprised there's not clear info on the torque box and frame rail repair that is so so common for the firebirds.

So i'm learning it mostly on my own, finished welding in the passenger side torque box today yeha! gotta do both sides.

I'm doing it laying on my back, no fancy stuff here. this is a do yourself thing not professional here likely better ways but sharing what I'm doing. that said i'm not a newbie and know what i'm doing.

what iv'e learned: remove the floor pan/torque box/frame rail portion as one piece. that is if like mine, you only need front frame rail repair. the torque box is spot welded to the floor pan to difficult and not worth the expensive bits to try and remove all the spot welds. of course its spot welded to the rocker and the frame rail to the torque box as well.

use a small drill bit and drill from the bottom along the torque box. make your line inside and using a cutting wheel cut thru the floor along the torque box fwd/inboard/aft areas then I used an air chisel from top along the rocker and broke those spot welds loose. out it comes.

I ordered the under seat pan and rear floorboard and cut to use only what I needed to replace the floor above the torque box first. then welded in the torque box after adjusting for best fitment. next is my short frame rail repair splice. I ordered full frame rails because it was cheaper than just repair pieces. i'll cut em where I need to.

made some measurements as well as checking level from one side to the other. do one side at a time of course. lotta labor but sure feels good to have that strong new metal in there! I overkill the welds. twice as many welds as the factory did. I use por 15 everywhere I can as I go.

not after pretty just strong and straight. non visable stuff is fun! my cars a driver/race so no concerns there. but I dpnt want ugly either. ha. anyway just sharin maybe help someone else.