Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2019, 07:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Overheating issue (filled block)

I've got a 488 filled to under freeze plugs (no crud in system was all cleaned out and have already drained coolant clean a few times)
11:1 kauffman d ports with a torker 2
New cardone water pump with divider plate
Champion 3 core radiator with volvo electric fans that pull a ton of air
Running vr1 racing oil
Timing is not retarded at all and heater core is not connected

Weather here in Canada right now is like a cool new York summer day. Breezy and not humid at all
Car is getting up to 200 water real fast. The fans have a switch installed to come on at 180 (switch is on the rad itself). Seems the fans don't kick on until my gauge reads about 220 and then drops only a little 'til they cut out at about 200. Temps keep yo-yoing. Oil temps hover at 200 then climb up to 240..this is after a 20 minute drive in low traffic stop and go driving. I put the electric fans because I was having the same issue with my factory fan setup. Driving and getting airflow vs dead stop idling doesn't seem to help lower temps. I know synthetic oil will help with the oil temps but the water is definitely nerve wracking here.

With an IR thermometer I read about 30 degrees cooler at the rad than at the thermostat. Temp sensor is on the crossover at the front of the intake. The car does not boil over. The coolant is 50/50 mix.. I've tried a 180 thermostat with a small by pass hole and a 195 with just a dimple and both do the same.

I'm out of ideas. The only thing I'm wondering is since my torker 2 has no water flow at the back of the heads (they're just plugged) is if sending the water from the back of the heads to the front of the intake will help with cooling somehow.

I'm going to put some pictures up if I can figure out how.. You guys with filled blocks that aren't having these issues baffle me!

Please help