Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-25-2019, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '71 Firebird 535 IA2 Pro-Touring Build Thread

Figured I'd start a build thread for a revival build that's been on the back burner for a while, had changed directions a couple times over the years, as I was distracted with other builds and lack of funds/time to continue.

A little history, bought the car in spring of 1981, I am the 3rd owner, second owner butchered it somewhat, and after totaling my bought-new 1979 Formula WS6 (403 car), was on a firebird kick, and found this car.

Car was an original '71 formula 400 4-speed 10-bolt, Tropical Lime, not sure what the original color interior was, would have to look it up. But 2nd owner changed it to a black interior, cut the original hood for a shaker (yuck), and painted it gold which looked like he did it in his back yard.

Original 400 was gone, 2nd owner put a junkyard 350 2bbl in it to be able to drive it, and not sure of what his long term plans were, but I'm sure it would have not been acceptable even in the days where I was still getting my car-chi going.

I went into the Navy in @Oct 80, sent just about all my money home, while I was in boot camp, I had searched for the car, finished boot camp, got stationed to my training command, went home one weekend and purchased the car, and my dad took the car to local shops to have work done to it by my direction, went home on weekends, and was able to get the car in running condition as-is, but it was rough.

I was able to get the engine somewhat running reliably, and drove it back & forth to training in Millington, TN (from VA, 16-18 hours each way) during the summer of '81. Worked on it at the base 'garage' tuning, fixing items, etc while I was there. I beat that car, off road, field parties, down by the river camping, through major flooded roads during spring rains, you can only imagine...

Decided I was going to go through it before I was deployed (med cruise, Libya, Israel, Egypt, etc, USS Nimitz, fall of '81), pulled it into my parent's garage, and proceeded to gut it. I came back on weekends until I actually deployed.

Here's a pic of once I had got it going, one coat of crappy paint, and some mechanical work done, and how I drove it back & forth to training in TN. This was after training, was stationed in Oceana, VA, and had brought shipmates back with me and we did some DC sight seeing and bar hopping. This was along the river by the national mall, with the 14th street bridge in the background. (I changed the hood to a flat hood, and the body shop without my permission molded a hood 'bubble' on it)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DC-Bird1 - Copy.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	527421  

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be