Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2021, 03:33 PM

Default New spal fans blowing fuse at initial start

I have had 2 generic 12" 80W "china" fans that has been on the car for the last 4-5 years, they are fed by 2x 20 AMP relays, and each fan has a 15 AMP fuse.

These fans draw about 6-7 amps each , but on a really hot day stuck in traffic the temp wil start to very slowly creep.

I have just gotten 2x spal VA10-AP50/C-61A - 1221 cfm
According to the data sheet they draw maximum 14,5 AMP each.

Now i installed them and ran the car up to temp, while i watched the holley efi handheld to se when the ecu triggerd the realy for each fan: Fan 1 on i hear nothing go to check and it is not spinning, wait for fan 2 .. and not spinning.
I check the fuses and both are blown, so i change to 20 AMP fuses letting the car cool completley down. same story when i bring it up to temp, both fuses blow,
now i shut the car off and reinstall fuses do a hot restart and both fans Work!

Next day after it is completley cooled down same story again both fuses blow on intitial startup, change fuses and both fans work on a hot restart.

The fans probably has a lot of inrush current on intial startup

I find this strange as it is my understanding that as a wire or component gets hotter resistance increases, i find it odd that the fuses blow when cold, and not hot..

Per now i have tested with 25 AMP fuses and it seems to hold for now (2 hours of driving) but i dont want to overburden the realys , so this is not a permanent solution.

-469 ,Butler 310+ Eheads, Hurricane intake portmatched by butler, Butler roller 230/236 @0.50 112 LSA, Johnson lifters, pypes 2 1/2" exhaust, 3.42 yukon duragrip lsd, holley sniper efi, hyperfuel efi tank +++