Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2022, 04:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Need advice from someone who has experience with both 68 / 69 GTO bucket seats

My wagon has parchment color 68 GTO bucket seats in it. Since they were recovered about 17 years ago, the drivers side bucket seat cover has become cracked and the seat now sits a bit uneven. I'm assuming it's from worn springs / and or a warped frame. Meanwhile, the top part of the rear seat cover has a bunch of nicks in it that make it a candidate for recovering as well.

My front bucket seats do not have head rests and I absolutely want them, so I'm pondering my options. First off, my car is a clone wagon, so there is nothing purist about it. I like the look of 69 seats much better than 68, so I'm thinking the thing for me to do may be to just buy a pair of the brand new complete 69 bucket seats with the headrests from PUI. My concern is that I've heard the Legendary covers are much better made and I haven't seen complete seats being sold from Legendary. I suppose I could buy a used set of 69 core seats or buy all new 69 frames, cushions and covers and then assemble them myself. I've recovered Firebird seats, so not out of the question.

Then again, my understanding is that the 68 and 69 seat frames are the same with the exception of the latching mechanism and how the headrests insert. Only one of my seats is bad mechanically, so could I convert the good 68 seat to being a 69 seat?

Of course, last but not least, I could just repair my 68 seats, recover them with Legendary 68 seat covers and add a set of 68 headrests (if they can be found). Wow, lot's of options here, but I'm stumped as to what should be done. I appreciate your opinions.

Old Joe

68 GTO Clone (Tempest) Wagon