Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-21-2008, 01:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Know why they started back, but wonder why they quit for those few years after 63?
Besides making engine swapping easier.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not sure why they quit after 63.
Maybe time consuming?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Suspended

i wanted to win the prize..what did i lose anyway?..

Old 10-21-2008, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 67 FB 400 has a 6 digit production # that matches GM's build sheet.
There is no vin stamp.
I've seen other 67-400's and 326's the same way.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 10-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Engine Unit Number may have been one reason to drop the VIN on the engine in 64.
They tracked the engine to the car/VIN with the EUN, so didn't need the VIN on the engine in 64.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The conservative enclave in a land of liberals; South Orange County, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIN TIGR View Post
i wanted to win the prize..what did i lose anyway?..
I could tell you what you DIDN'T win....but then I'd have to kill you....

Old 10-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 67 Firebird I am working on has a 67 400 2bbl as it's engine foundation. No VIN stamp on the block whatsoever. Could have been a service part but it was so complete right down to the 066 cam that I assumed it came from a Catalina, plus it is a YC stamping. Can you guess how it ran with headers, dual quads and an 066 cam?

There is a VIN stamp on the cowl under the cowl cover along with one on the firewall near the blower motor area.

2012 SRT8 Charger - 12.70 @ 111mph
Old 12-14-2008, 10:00 PM

I had this exact same question. I have a '67 Firebird 400 with the correct YT block, correct casting code of 9786133, with a casting date of A05, or January 5th. This seems to correspond to my car's build date of the 5th week of March according to the cowl tag. Correct 670 heads, etc.

However, my block has a number stamped in the VIN area near the water pump housing, but it's clearly not the car's VIN. It appears to be SR8-3841. I have no clue what these numbers are, but I do think this is the born-with engine for this car.

Does anyone have a better idea of when precisely Pontiac started stamping VINs on the blocks? I've read that it was "late in the model year," "during the middle of the '67 production run" etc, but nothing more specific than that.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhauser View Post
Does anyone have a better idea of when precisely Pontiac started stamping VINs on the blocks?
ive been told it was later on in 67

Old 12-15-2008, 12:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The conservative enclave in a land of liberals; South Orange County, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytnyt View Post
ive been told it was later on in 67
Wouldn't that make it on the 68 model year cars though?

Old 12-15-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67blackcherry View Post
Wouldn't that make it on the 68 model year cars though?
Not if they started, say, May 1st or something like that. The normal '68 production lines wouldn't have started churning out '68s until around August 1st or later, I think. That would give you 3+ months of '67s with VIN stampings on their motors.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhauser View Post
I had this exact same question. I have a '67 Firebird 400 with the correct YT block, correct casting code of 9786133, with a casting date of A05, or January 5th. This seems to correspond to my car's build date of the 5th week of March according to the cowl tag. Correct 670 heads, etc.

However, my block has a number stamped in the VIN area near the water pump housing, but it's clearly not the car's VIN. It appears to be SR8-3841. I have no clue what these numbers are, but I do think this is the born-with engine for this car.

Does anyone have a better idea of when precisely Pontiac started stamping VINs on the blocks? I've read that it was "late in the model year," "during the middle of the '67 production run" etc, but nothing more specific than that.
That is a dealer stamp, block likely replaced under warranty with a SR (service replacement) the dealer was supposed to hand stamp them with SR and the last numbers of your VIN, although some SR blocks didnt get stamped at all if the dealer forgot or didnt bother or it was independently installed.

From the factory, 63 and earlier blocks got the complete VIN, 68 and later got a partial vin. Supposedly no vin 64, 65, 66, part of 67

I think the body vin (not vin plate) is only visible when the heater airbox is removed from firewall. frames also got a vin stamp as did transmissions in certain years

Old 12-15-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVR421 View Post
That is a dealer stamp, block likely replaced under warranty with a SR (service replacement) the dealer was supposed to hand stamp them with SR and the last numbers of your VIN, although some SR blocks didnt get stamped at all if the dealer forgot or didnt bother or it was independently installed.

From the factory, 63 and earlier blocks got the complete VIN, 68 and later got a partial vin. Supposedly no vin 64, 65, 66, part of 67

I think the body vin (not vin plate) is only visible when the heater airbox is removed from firewall. frames also got a vin stamp as did transmissions in certain years
That is what I concluded also after doing more research after making my last post. A restoration site I found indicated that sometimes SR blocks had stamps on them, and sometimes they didn't.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm pretty sure the engine unit # was also stamped on my trans(4-spd) case along one edge by the bell housing.
Maybe your trans is too.
Course both could have been changed together.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100