THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:00 PM

kirban 2 cents worth

Pictured here from my collection is the original artwork for the 2 prong spinner that Hurst considered using or making for the optional center cap on the Hurst wheel. Various times this style or a similar style may have been used in actual ads but to my knowledge never saw production.

Below it is an actual spinner that they used for the drawing or vice versa.
I have no idea what this spinner was used originally on. Spinners were popular on foreign car spoke wheels back then so it is possible it is from a foreign car. Again just taking a guess on my part.

If you have my book on Hurst wheels they do show up in there also.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

2005 GTO Quick Silver/Red
Fayetteville, NC
Do It Right or Don't Do It All
Old 01-10-2010, 07:33 PM

kirban 2 cents worth

Pictured here is the Hurst Heritage Book published in 1983. They had two different color covers as you can see here. Actually another version exists as well which we will post later. No matter what version you have or seen they all suffer from loose binding and are prone to fall apart.

This book came out just prior to Hurst moving and being owned by Mr Gasket in the mid to late 1980s time frame. The one copy I have has been signed by Linda Vaughn, Bill Campbell, Bob Held Don Lane and few others back in the day.

Even with the poor binding these books bring $100 or better. To my knowledge this is the only book that was ever done covering the Hurst story.

enjoy

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Fayetteville, NC
Old 01-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamcguy View Post
kirban 2 cents worth

Check this out....probably a mid 1980s PR thing that Hurst did. Happened to think of this the other day when Tiger's troubles started to surface.

Notice the Hurst logo, it is the later version. Soon after this Hurst moved to Mr Gasket in Ohio and new ownership.

I have them also in a 4 pack sealed.

Never seen any of these anywhere for sale.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

A couple years ago while washing the 32,000 balls in our driving range ball inventory I plucked one of these out of the mix. Have it sitting on my desk. my thought at the time of finding it was "what knuckle head would hit this out here???"

Are you kidding on the price of the Hurst books? I have a yellow cover one, and yes, the binding glue must've been really poor stuff. I've made sure that I've kept all the pages over the years. Didn't even realize I was sitting on a few collectible items ...

Are the '98 Ligenfelter/Hurst media kits worth anything?

Old 01-11-2010, 12:02 AM
PY VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird2 View Post
A couple years ago while washing the 32,000 balls in our driving range ball inventory I plucked one of these out of the mix. Have it sitting on my desk. my thought at the time of finding it was "what knuckle head would hit this out here???"

Are you kidding on the price of the Hurst books? I have a yellow cover one, and yes, the binding glue must've been really poor stuff. I've made sure that I've kept all the pages over the years. Didn't even realize I was sitting on a few collectible items ...

Are the '98 Ligenfelter/Hurst media kits worth anything?
kirban 2 cents worth

Out of 32,000 golf balls you found one...wow probably better chance than hitting a state lottery. What state are you in that you found one?

I have never seen one of the Hurst books that have not had weak binding....must have been a poor batch of glue or something since the books really are not that old.

I know I paid $75 for one of the ones probably 5-6 years ago at Carlisle.

That golf ball is rare......even though it is the newer Hurst logo its a safe guess not many exist. On the Lingenfelter car yes anything associated with that car is rare. I have the display board from Lingenfelter and a few emblems and center caps for the wheels.

Outside of Hurst circles since so very very few Lingenfelter cars where produced not many people are aware of them.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 01-11-2010, 12:23 AM

Ligenfelter used to test run those cars down to Portland and back to Decatur when they were building them.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-11-2010, 12:32 AM
PY VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nixon View Post
Ligenfelter used to test run those cars down to Portland and back to Decatur when they were building them.

Mike
kirban 2 cents worth

I was out at Lingenfelters few years back....farm country..

I think fewer than a dozen of them Hurst cars got produced...if that being the case makes them pretty rare even when they were new......

I used to sell Lingenfelter a fair number of C5 6-speed shifters....that we had designed and made.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

When I was there I got to drive their modified yellow 2004 Pontiac GTO they had it for sale. I think the price tag was 40 grand or 30 grand.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi dennis;
We've spoken a few times over the years--likely most recently in 2001-02 when i was with Hemmings. The golf ball came from our range in Easton, Pa. You're in Dublin, correct? Sure you didn't sneak one out of a pack to see how far it'd fly? ))

Old 01-11-2010, 02:06 PM
PY VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird2 View Post
Hi dennis;
We've spoken a few times over the years--likely most recently in 2001-02 when i was with Hemmings. The golf ball came from our range in Easton, Pa. You're in Dublin, correct? Sure you didn't sneak one out of a pack to see how far it'd fly? ))
kirban 2 cents worth

actually I live closer to you..in kintnersville..office is in plumsteadville...not one of my golf balls....

hard to believe you found one...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 01-11-2010, 11:16 PM

kirban 2 cents worth

Here is the 3rd version of the same Hurst book. This was an entirely different looking cover from the previous two versions we posted earlier. Content is identical to the others. It also suffers from poor binding. I have no idea why 3 different covers exist for the same book. Appears to be from the same print date. Coypright reads 1983 on all of them.

Overall size is identical. I can't even say for sure if these are the only 3 cover versions that were printed.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Fayetteville, NC
Old 01-11-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis kirban View Post
kirban 2 cents worth

I was out at Lingenfelters few years back....farm country..

I think fewer than a dozen of them Hurst cars got produced...if that being the case makes them pretty rare even when they were new......

I used to sell Lingenfelter a fair number of C5 6-speed shifters....that we had designed and made.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

When I was there I got to drive their modified yellow 2004 Pontiac GTO they had it for sale. I think the price tag was 40 grand or 30 grand.
Farm country is right, That and the plates they run on their demos / Test Mules / Current
Project is why they stick out so much to those who're into that stuff.

Back in the 80's when there was a strong street racing scene in this area his workers had some quick stuff on the streets. I used to buy W-30 Olds parts from them.

Mike

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-12-2010, 12:13 AM
PY VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nixon View Post
Farm country is right, That and the plates they run on their demos / Test Mules / Current
Project is why they stick out so much to those who're into that stuff.

Back in the 80's when there was a strong street racing scene in this area his workers had some quick stuff on the streets. I used to buy W-30 Olds parts from them.

Mike
kirban 2 cent worth

You mention Olds....did you know that the 1969-70 GTO ram air lid the black lid is the exact same size lid that Olds used...think it was in the W-30 or one of those models as I used to sell them to a company years ago.....On the Olds you don't see the lid as some sort of ram air system sits above it.

Again can't remember exactly what year or model.......

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 01-12-2010, 04:16 PM

kirban 2 cents worth

This photo shows the various packaging Hurst used with their T handles. We will have another photo at some point showing still other packaging. Also some subtle changes as some will read Hurst-Campbell later ones will simply read Hurst. So you can see that Hurst used different packaging throughout the run of T handles back in the day. These would be late 1960s early 1970s.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Fayetteville, NC
Old 01-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wonderful history found in this thread. THANKS~!

mike

Old 01-13-2010, 04:46 PM

kirban 2 cents worth

This is an interesting piece you can tell by the format it is a very late Hurst ad. By late, I mean 1980s time frame. Late being for the Warminster location prior to Mr Gasket moving operation to Ohio.

This never saw completion as you can tell. Different ad approach for Hurst.

enjoy

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Fayetteville, NC
Old 01-14-2010, 03:11 PM

kirban 2 cents worth

Here are two small famous decals Hurst made. You seldom see the 3 speed version. To my knowledge originals came only in this color. I have seen some white ones but I don;t think they are originals from back in the 1960s as these 2 are.

Whatever the case.....just memories now

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Fayetteville, NC
Old 01-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Senior Chief

Hey I know you with all the hurst stuff from another thread, I told the story about my brothers judge with the t-handle with black felt on it and peeling it off hen I was little. LOL one of these day I will go out to the old bard where it is still sitting and look at it and maybe snap a pic.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:20 PM

kirban 2 cents worth

This decal was used for the club that Hurst had back in the day mid to late 1960s time frame. They also had a credit card style membership card and a thicker style decal. I will post them eventually when I can find them.

This paper thick style is hard to find not used.

Hurst in its day ran a lot of different promotions....and PR was a key function with the company.

A good bit of their customer base were guys my age....and with Vietnam being the conflict (war) at the time most of us were not able to spend the money on things car related.....

enjoy

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Fayetteville, NC
Old 01-17-2010, 09:43 AM

kirban 2 cents worth

Here are two more Hurst original decals. Again early sixties vintage. Note the one concerning the dual gate this I would say is quite rare as I have never seen anyone run a photo of it.

I know we covered this earlier the first style automatic dual gates had a actual key to lock out that feature. This decal seems to be related to that early style dual gate. If that is he case that puts it around 1961-63 time frame.

enjoy

more to come just got to keep taking photos and forwarding them to MR AMC to post.

Fayetteville, NC
Old 01-17-2010, 10:18 PM

kirban 2 cents worth

Here you see pictured an actual Hurst Lingenfelter emblem and decal from the short lived Hurst Trans Am project Lingenfelter did a few years back.
From what I understand for whatever reason only a handful of the cars actually got built.

Now you see that Hurst in conjunction with Dodge is doing a Challenger/Hurst. Not sure what number they are seeking to produce. I believe they also made one Viper Hurst as well.

The Hurst connection still brings the magic even 40 plus years later.

Enjoy

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Fayetteville, NC
Old 01-17-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis kirban View Post
kirban 2 cent worth

You mention Olds....did you know that the 1969-70 GTO ram air lid the black lid is the exact same size lid that Olds used...think it was in the W-30 or one of those models as I used to sell them to a company years ago.....On the Olds you don't see the lid as some sort of ram air system sits above it.

Again can't remember exactly what year or model.......

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Learned something today.

Mike

- Winston Churchill