Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 07-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Need some quiet gears

I have a Moser 12-bolt with aftermarket 3.90 gears......they are noisy as hell (or else I'm just too picky), so I'm thinking of either going to some OEM gears.....but then I'm limited to a 4 series gear ratio, or else maybe I go to a different brand of after market 3.90 that are quieter.

I spoke briefly with Cliff Ruggles and he feels like a 4.10 would be too much gear for my combo.......

Dunno what to do.......Cliff says he has had best luck with US Gear, but I don't think that brand is still made in the USA.....quality has probably degraded since then......

What brand have you guys had good luck with?

Old 07-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've got a set of 3:90's at home, still in plastic, but don't know the brand or the series they are. They are for a 12 bolt

400 .060 Eagle Rods
Old 07-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I havent had noisey Richmonds but an old "Zoom" set I had whined no matter how you set them up. Are you sure the noise isnt other differential components?

Old 07-16-2010, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyflier View Post
I've got a set of 3:90's at home, still in plastic, but don't know the brand or the series they are. They are for a 12 bolt
Why don't you get a look at them and let me know what they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWilkie View Post
I havent had noisey Richmonds but an old "Zoom" set I had whined no matter how you set them up. Are you sure the noise isnt other differential components?
I won't be "sure" until I pull it apart and look....

Old 07-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have Yukon 4.56's in my truck. Been in there 3 years & many miles. Did the 2007 Power Tour right after I installed my setup. Did 2800 miles in 8 days. Never a peep. I'm critical myself when it comes to noises, too. My GTO has plenty

Not sure what you mean by noisy. Maybe the rear diff isn't set up correctly (tolerences). Could be a bad carrier bearing or even a pinion bearing. Even an axle bearing could be noisy.

Maybe give us a little more info IE when they are noisy - off/on the throttle, cold/hot, etc.

1966 GTO Montero Red Hardtop - Holley EFI'd 462, KRE DPorts/Muncie 4spd
1990 Chevy 454SS pickup - Accel DFI/T56 6spd - Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
1996 Chevy K2500 ECSB 'Poopy'
2002 Honda VTX1800C
2016 Cadillac CTS Premium

My project thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=516826

Old 07-16-2010, 03:20 PM

Try Motive gear. They have them in 3:90 I have set up many 12 bolts with these gears & are not noisy. They are a good gear set & I think you will like them very much. They are around $210.00 for the set at Summit

Old 07-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73FIREBIRD View Post
Try Motive gear. They have them in 3:90 I have set up many 12 bolts with these gears & are not noisy. They are a good gear set & I think you will like them very much. They are around $210.00 for the set at Summit
Motive Gears are what's in there now....it must be the brand that Moser put in most all their 12-bolts.....I'm not happy with them......

Old 07-16-2010, 04:33 PM

Then you need to check the set up on them as they have been very quiet for the people I have done rearends for. Do they make more noise under load or on the coast side of the gear?

Old 07-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i have also has good luck with the motive stuff.
they have a line called "stock performance" it is made from the same material that their other gears are made from but the surface finish is much better. i don't know if they have that ratio for that series carrier but you should check them out.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Boost Engineer

Most noise or lack of it is based on how the gears are "lapped" together during the production process. Ford's Sterling Axle plant used to make very quiet 9" Ford 3.90
gears.

The GM stuff, who knows. probably if it has all of the teeth on the pinion and ring gear during the process they call it good.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Most noise or lack of it is based on how the gears are "lapped" together during the production process. Ford's Sterling Axle plant used to make very quiet 9" Ford 3.90
gears.

The GM stuff, who knows. probably if it has all of the teeth on the pinion and ring gear during the process they call it good.

Tom Vaught
Ford Engineers.......lol......should'nt you be working on a supercharger or something instead of picking on GM......Geez....

Heard alot of guys who have bought "stuff" from Moser and have complaints of this nature no matter GM derived or Ford. Had a buddy with a 9 inch in a 3rd gen camaro and that thing howled like a stuck pig from start to stop till i tore it apart and well i'll just stop there as that's enough said....

Old 07-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchief455 View Post
Ford Engineers.......lol......should'nt you be working on a supercharger or something instead of picking on GM......Geez....

Heard alot of guys who have bought "stuff" from Moser and have complaints of this nature no matter GM derived or Ford. Had a buddy with a 9 inch in a 3rd gen camaro and that thing howled like a stuck pig from start to stop till i tore it apart and well i'll just stop there as that's enough said....
I will repeat my statement for those who did not understand my statement:

"Most noise or lack of it is based on how the gears are "lapped" together during the production process. Ford's Sterling Axle plant used to make very quiet 9" Ford 3.90
gears."

That is a very TRUE statement. I said nothing about Moser gears in 9" ford rears, US Gears in 9" ford rears, Richmond gears in 9" Ford rears..

I recently bought a set of 9" FACTORY ford gears from B-Man. I questioned him about whether he actually was selling a true Ford made gear set. (HE WAS). I bought the gears.

The vast majority of the gear manufacturers do not hold the same standards for noise, strength, wear, etc as an OEM (Ford, GM, etc).

The fact that you had a 9" rear under a GM 3rd generation Camaro says a lot, LOL!

A Quote by Jimmy Keen when GM "Super Street" racers complained about him using a 2 speed Powerglide trans in his Mustang: " I will run a Ford transmission IF you put the 10 & 12 bolt GM rears back into your cars." END OF DISCUSSION.

Tom Vaught

ps The TOPIC was about QUIET GEARS and Ford does a great JOB with quiet gears in many cases.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You need to pull it apart and have a look, they might be setup wrong. Ive used summit, richmond, and motive brand gears and they all were quiet.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 bird View Post
You need to pull it apart and have a look, they might be setup wrong. Ive used summit, richmond, and motive brand gears and they all were quiet.
You aint making the power to make them noisy! (:>)

When we going to lunch again???????

Tom Vaught

Old 07-16-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
I will repeat my statement for those who did not understand my statement:

"Most noise or lack of it is based on how the gears are "lapped" together during the production process. Ford's Sterling Axle plant used to make very quiet 9" Ford 3.90
gears."

That is a very TRUE statement. I said nothing about Moser gears in 9" ford rears, US Gears in 9" ford rears, Richmond gears in 9" Ford rears..

I recently bought a set of 9" FACTORY ford gears from B-Man. I questioned him about whether he actually was selling a true Ford made gear set. (HE WAS). I bought the gears.

The vast majority of the gear manufacturers do not hold the same standards for noise, strength, wear, etc as an OEM (Ford, GM, etc).

The fact that you had a 9" rear under a GM 3rd generation Camaro says a lot, LOL!

A Quote by Jimmy Keen when GM "Super Street" racers complained about him using a 2 speed Powerglide trans in his Mustang: " I will run a Ford transmission IF you put the 10 & 12 bolt GM rears back into your cars." END OF DISCUSSION.

Tom Vaught

ps The TOPIC was about QUIET GEARS and Ford does a great JOB with quiet gears in many cases.

You are right as i did read what you posted wrong.....and one of these days i'll win a "conversation" with one of you two....lol.....but until then..... My daddy worked for Ford and my Buddy had the Ford rear in his 3rd gen so that says alot about them.... I sir like Pontiacs so that speaks volumes about me.......lol

My buddy's rear had other "issues" besides the gear set and once corrected was as quiet as a church mouse with the gears it was supplied with. I will stand by my original post as there are alot of "issues" i have heard of with rearends reagardless of make from certain compaines........

Old 07-16-2010, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 bird View Post
X2 Who installed the gearset? I would pull the cover to make sure the tooth contact pattern and backlash are correct (shimmed properly)...

I've had good luck with Richmond gears, very quite...

I just put a set of Motive gears in, they seem like good gears, I can't hear them but its a open header car...

T-400/PTC 4000/390's/30x9 Hoosier radial slicks,#3400
1.38 60' 6.32 @ 108 MPH at Northeast Dragway NC 5/23/15 (9th pass on new engine)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCu2v...ature=youtu.be

1.37 60' 6.26 @ 109 half track, 9.86 @ 136 1/4 mile, #3350 11/26/16 at Richmond Dragway (125th pass on new engine)
Old 07-16-2010, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455firebird1969 View Post
X2 Who installed the gearset? I would pull the cover to make sure the tooth contact pattern and backlash are correct (shimmed properly)...

I've had good luck with Richmond gears, very quite...

I just put a set of Motive gears in, they seem like good gears, I can't hear them but its a open header car...
Moser........

I'm thinking I'm just gonna find an OEM gearset and do it myself.......

No one is going to take more care than I will......

Will do it after I get back from the Indian Uprising......

Thanks for the responses

Old 07-16-2010, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BTW, anyone have a link to a good price for Timken bearings?

Old 07-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Boost Engineer

Any price is a GOOD price for Timkin Bearings!

Tom Vaught

Old 07-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

$61 and change for four cups and cones to my door....not bad