Old 01-25-2011, 10:56 PM

Default build sheet found in parts book

I came across this build sheet in a parts book, and I am pretty sure it was for a 67 GTO that my Dad sold years ago. If anyone has the matching VIN, they can have it. I think the car was in New England last I knew a few years ago.

Our car was Blue with Blue interior. Automatic, 400 4 barrel, non-a/c GTO.
hopefully the codes match this. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	build sheet.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	232177  

Old 01-26-2011, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mark, I'd love to get this manifest. PM me.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2002 View Post
Our car was Blue with Blue interior. Automatic, 400 4 barrel, non-a/c GTO.
hopefully the codes match this. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Mark, the information encoded on this broadcast sheet matches the description you posted. Fathom Blue hardtop, YS - 400, PS - TH400, WG - 3.36:1 gears, very early build - Sept 12, 1966. 479th V8 Pontiac built in that plant; first week of production.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:29 PM

Amazingly, I was able to locate the owner of the GTO, who is very interested in the build sheet. If it weren't for a very difficult financial time for me right now I would have simply sent it to him. However, I need to get the general opinions on what the sheet may be worth to a guy who has the car now.....any opinions or comments are welcomed. What would you guys pay for it if it was your 67 GTO? Thanks

Old 05-10-2011, 10:37 PM

Nice to know the car is still in one piece. Needless to say, original documentation such as a broadcast sheet is desirable, especially when i's in nice shape as is yours. Why don't you put it in the owner's court, tell him you have no idea what it's worth and see what he says. Let him set the baseline and negotiate from there. Wish it were for one of my GTOs! Good luck.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mark I will provide my opinion since opinions were solicited...

I would not consider charging for this page were it in my possession. To me, this feels wrong. It has value only to one person and the reason it was not included originally at no cost is because it was likely misplaced. If you remain steadfast in your desire to charge someone for this document, I would not ever charge them more than what PHS charges for an information packet. This is not about ransoming a document, but getting something of value to its rightful owner. Possession is 9/10 of the law, but that does not make it right.

Good luck with your decision.

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 05-10-2011, 11:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's not like you can auction it off. You have a market of one, and while desirable, he definitely doesn't NEED the documentation.
Attempt to ransom it, and you risk losing your only customer. Just send it to him, and see where it goes from there...

Old 05-11-2011, 06:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree. I would be delighted to locate the original owner and provide something of value to them (owner of the car), not looking to make money off the deal. I think it is very nice that you took the time to do the research to get it to the current owner, if they (current car owner) offers to buy you and yours dinner I think that would be a very nice gesture.

Tim john---

Old 05-11-2011, 06:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i will give you $10 to give it to him. it was stated in the first post the rightful owner could HAVE it.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:49 AM

Your original post said that if they have the car, they can have it. You should give it to him.
He should be willing to pay for postage, and give you a few bucks for your time and effort.
Postage + $5 or $10 would be fair.
I would send it to him for the price of the postage and be happy that I could help out a fellow Pontiac Guy. The smallest things can be repaid in many ways. You might end up with a new friend that will do something nice for you some day.
Bob c.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2002 View Post
Amazingly, I was able to locate the owner of the GTO, who is very interested in the build sheet. If it weren't for a very difficult financial time for me right now I would have simply sent it to him. However, I need to get the general opinions on what the sheet may be worth to a guy who has the car now.....any opinions or comments are welcomed. What would you guys pay for it if it was your 67 GTO? Thanks
If the car was a Chevy like an SS, Z28 or LS6 Big Block that needed documentation, the Build Sheet would be worth a LOT of money to the car owner. Fortunately, in the Pontiac world we have PHS so we can document our cars that way. The 67 PHS often has the Engine Unit Number (EUN) that would also document the original engine if the car has it. 66 and earlier does not show the EUN on the PHS. so you need the Build Sheet or Protect-O-Plate to document the original engine.

With that in mind, I think we would all really like to have the Build Sheet for our cars, but it would not be that valuable. I would not venture to tell you how to handle this situation as you said you are in some financial difficulty, but don't expect to get a lot of money for it.

JMHO.... Jim

Old 05-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree, do the right thing. Give it to him. Larry B.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would just send it to him....It's the right thing to do. Besides it has no real value.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Hold him hostage. He'll pay whatever you want."

NO,NO,NO, send it to him and both of you will feel better.

Last edited by arbys; 05-11-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Senior Chief

Agree because of PHS not worth a whole lot but would be nice to have.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with the previous posts. The good feeling you'll get from giving it to the owner will last a heck of a lot longer than the money you might be able to squeeze out of him. Let me share with you the rationale behind this opinion. I was driving home from college one day back in the early 80s, and stopped at a yard sale, and ended up buying a box of guitar magazines and sheet music for like $3. When I later inventoried the box, I found a couple old wedding photos, a wedding card, and a $100 bill. I could have really used the $100 at the time, for I was working two jobs putting myself through school. It took me a couple days to decide what to do, and I really struggled with the decision, but I ended up driving back to return the items I found. The elderly women who opened the door, told me that the wedding was hers and that her husband of 40 years had died recently. The card was from her grandmother who had raised her, and who was gravely ill at the time of the wedding. She was so thrilled about getting the items back that she offered me the money, and when I refused, she offered me her husband's guitar, a beautiful higher end Guild. As difficult as it was to do, I turned this down as well. Taking something so expensive from somebody who obviously was not well-off, and who had children she could pass it on to, would have felt wrong. I received nothing in exchange for my act, except for a bad tasting deviled ham sandwich, some cookies, and a warm glass of Tang. Yet, to this day, the memory of her happiness leaves me with a very warm feeling inside. I doubt the owner of the car will feel as indebted to you as this women did to me, but take this as an opportunity to do something that will benefit you intrinsically.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeff, Why am I not suprised of your actions. We could use a whole lot more of "your kind" in todays world of self serving people. What a wonderful story and thank you for being you.

On another note...Did you make the move to Arizona and if so are you settled in yet ? Did you ship the convertible out there or drive it ? You can PM a response if you want to keep it private. Hope all is well with you and the family Jeff.

Tim john---

Old 05-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the kind words Tim.

We have a bit of time left her in FL. I'm seriously considering driving the car to AZ. I'll email you with details (along with a photo of your old Tiger Gold GTO and it's happy new owner).

Old 05-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would certainly GIVE him the sheet and feel real good about it.

And to Gator67, very nice story!! I believe you're a good man.....and were a fine young man!!!

"Its never too late to have a happy childhood"!

I told my dad I was going to stop raising hell, and he called me a quitter!
Old 05-13-2011, 01:58 PM

Default build sheet

I thought that you said in your original post that they could have it? A persons word is a persons word. Think about it.