Old 08-08-2011, 05:04 PM

Default To add, or not to add, Air Conditioning

Are you glad you added Air Conditioning to your car, or do you wish you did?

WHY??

Old 08-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It depends on when you ask me that question.

On days that it's cooking out, it's nice to have the air chilling in there. On days that I want to change a spark plug I miss the simple uncluttered engine compartment before the air and the power disc conversion. Manual drums and no air makes for a nice clean engine bay as opposed to the ridiculous antics you go through trying to reach plugs on an AC car.

I also miss the side vents blowing under there on a fair day when I'm not using the air. Using the vent switch and having it blow through the dash isn't the same as having the kick panel vents open.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing that ruins the look of a muscle car for ME is ac. Can not stand the look of it but then again I live in Oregon and always have. Have not had a 90 degree day yet this year.

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I hate the clutter in the engine bay too, but I plan on putting the suitcase back in once I have enough miles on the engine to feel real confidence in it. I agree it really makes it a lot harder to work under there.

I purposely searched for a 'vert that came with A/C when I was looking for my car. Not so much to cool it down- it hardly gets driven with the top up anyway. But dehumidified air would be really nice when I get caught in the summer T-storms that pop up during the long summers here in the SE. No wing windows, no kick vents, and hot defrost to keep the windshield clear. Makes for a pretty miserable ride.

We've hardly seen a day that didn't reach the mid 90's since early May.

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 08-09-2011, 08:45 AM

Installed a vintage air unit in a daily driver 4 years ago, has been great. Modernizes the car, fun to drive through the friday night cruise when it's 95 degrees out with high humidity with the windows up.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Vintage air is the route to go. Then you can keep manual side vents. I had a complete stock AC system in my vert and switched it to non-ac. All the side vents were there just needed different kick panels. If I do go back to ac it will be vintage air. The new systems are smaller, more efficient and use the available R134. As long as you don't have a numbers matching show car and want all original parts the vintage air is the way to go.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If I ever get another car, it's going to be one without A/C. Too much weight and clutter in the engine compartment. My opinion might be different if I didn't live in Northern California, but even when it's hot out I tend to cruise with the windows open.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 08-09-2011, 12:47 PM

Supposed to get up to 106 today. Guess how I vote??

Old 08-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Added GM A/C to my 68 GTO. Looked nice.
Took it out for awhile, with intent to re-install some day after the Perf-stuff is fully developed. Still in the 12's.

Only big decision is cutting the firewall to accomodate the AC box outline. There is where Vintage AC has an advantage on non-AC cars.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I still run the drivers side kick panel vent on all my 68 A/C cars. I have A/C on my conv. but I rarely use it. I do love the vent windows too. I used to pull the manual kick panel vents at salvage yards years ago, but I'm sure you won't find too many anymore.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:21 AM

Thanks everybody,

All of you have given me something to think about. The bad thing is, I agree with everything you guys have said. I do like using factory parts, but I like the Vintage Air because it doesn't look much different than a smog pump, if my memory is correct. My car is a 69, so no vent windows. I like the looks of no A/C on the cars too. The car was a manual drum brake car, and I added power disc. I still haven't gotten used to the power booster.

Jim