THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Suspended

It's a state law. Can't have the mags in CA either. NJ is another anti-state. I think they get around it by having them in pieces and not assembled in CA. You can get 5-10 rnd mags for the M1 Carbine or get 15 rnders permanently blocked for 10 rnd max.
If you're interested in a barrel for your Carbine, you can buy a new Criterion barrel for under $180-190. a good used barrel is only $125-250. A used barrel with import mark that's been removed by a collector can be as little as $50-75. I just bought a Rock-ola barrel for $50 with small import mark. Ebay and Gunbroker. If you're interested in selling the receiver or parts, I'm interested. I collect those. An original barrel is what most buyers/collectors want--without import stamp.

BTW, they're blocking the repatriation of 750,000 M1 Carbines back to the USA from South Korea because they have a detachable magazine. The M1 Garand is not blocked for shipment back.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
Oh forgot the M1 carbine-if I could find an extra upper/barrel I could put a second one together.

But the ban at least Federal is off so still can't have a mag over 10?
My AK clone was post ban but takes a 30 round also. I actually like the wood thumbhole stock over a pistol grip the true AKs have.
Yeah, like Doug said, state law. They also made it so that if you buy an Evil Black Rifle it can only have so many of the evil features, if you have a pistol grip and detachable mag, you can't have a collapsible stock, no bayonet lug or flash suppressor. The laws here really are goofy.

A government is a body of people, usually, notably ungoverned-shepherd brook in firefly

join the PY group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8742503&ref=ts

become a fan of PY on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9458653?ref=ts
Old 05-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierced mikey View Post
Yeah, like Doug said, state law. They also made it so that if you buy an Evil Black Rifle it can only have so many of the evil features, if you have a pistol grip and detachable mag, you can't have a collapsible stock, no bayonet lug or flash suppressor. The laws here really are goofy.
No collapsible stock as in a 6 position stock?
Can you have a short barreled rifle with a tax stamp anywhere in Mass?

Old 05-18-2012, 01:02 PM

Has to be a fixed stock(although if it's a collapsible and it's been pinned I think it's ok)

Short Barrel Rifles

The Federal definition of a Short Barrel Rifle (26 USC 5845(a)(3) and (4) and 26 USC 5845(c):

(3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length

(4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length

(c) The term “rifle” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire a fixed cartridge.
Can I own an SBR in MA?

Yes, you can! No special license is required to own a short barrel rifle in MA. You need only an FID or LTC, and your approved tax document, to possess one. If the rifle in question meets the MA definition of a low capacity rifle, an FID is all that's required. High capacity rifles will require an LTC-B or better.

A government is a body of people, usually, notably ungoverned-shepherd brook in firefly

join the PY group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8742503&ref=ts

become a fan of PY on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9458653?ref=ts
Old 05-18-2012, 01:06 PM

MA Assault Weapons Ban "AWB" FAQ

Background:
What is the MA AWB?

The "Assault Weapons" ban in MA is almost a verbatim version of the Federal AWB that existed from 1994 - 2004.

This is how it is currently encoded in MA law:
http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/Ge...140/Section121

The "Assault Weapons" ban in MA did not expire in 2004, and a "cosmetic" bill was filed, passed, and then signed into law by romney (although it is arguable that such an extension was unecessary anyways, as the MA AWB had no sunset clause written into it to begin with. ).

How so called "Assault Weapons" are defined by the law:

Rifles:
(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher;

NOTE WELL: Given (B), this means that things like PUMP and BOLT ACTION rifles are EXEMPT from the AWB.

Handguns/Pistols:
(C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and

Shotguns:
(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.'.

NOTE: Given (D) this means that break open, pump, bolt action shotguns are exempt from the AWB.

How the AWB applies to Magazines (eg, so called "Large Capacity Feeding Devices" under MGL):

The federal ban stipulated a ban on "Large Capacity Feeding Devices", and this is the MGL version:
“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.
What this means in english is that within the borders of MA, you cannot legally own/possess a magazine that meets the description above (unless the magazine was made on or before 9/13/94). You're probably wondering what an attached tubular device is"- think feeding tube on a tube fed .22 LR rifle like a Marlin or some of the old Winchesters. This carve out was stuck in the law to keep the fudds from getting upset when it got passed.

It should also be noted that the MA version of this law does not include the extra definition in Federal Law (reference to be added later) that used to define a standard of evidence for what constituted a "Large Capacity Feeding Device". Therefore, the means of prosecution with regards to magazines is not laid out in state law like it used to be on the Federal side. This means that how someone would be prosecuted for violating the mag ban is anyone's guess. Federal law rather FIRMLY put the burden of proof on the part of the state, even going so far as to stipulate that an unmarked mag that was claimed to be preban was to be taken at face value. This is not the case under MGL and enforcement is very unclear.

Exemptions: (This is important!)

The MA AWB does not apply in the following scenarios:

-The Rifle/Shotgun/Pistol was an "Assault Weapon" or in the case of a magazine holding more than 10 rounds, a "Large Capacity feeding device" manufactured on or before 9/13/94. Note: In order to qualify for this exemption, the device must have existed "in AW configuration" the date the law was enacted. This caveat, of course, is rarely proveable one way or the other.

-The device in question is possessed by an MA FFL or a LEO (for use in performance of their duties)

Note: This exemption is "murky" at best. The "commonly accepted" interpretation is the dealers are AWB exempt because they supposedly are able to sell AWs and the like to Law Enforcement, and the LE exemption is doubly murky, depending on who you talk to.

-The device in question is possessed by someone in US Military service under orders, or someone employed in a Federal law enforcement job as issued duty gear- issued gear is immune due to an overriding federal law more than likely. The protections ascribed to here likely do not apply beyond the scope of whatever the job you have is or whatever gear
you are issued.

-The device in question is not an "assault weapon" as described above or a large capacity feeding device. EG, a 10 round cripple mag is obviously not covered/governed by the AWB.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I need the barrel and receiver, I can add the bolt etc. I have extra trigger housing and stock for one.

I actually like shooting the M1 Carbine better than my "black guns". It was a import. I almost got the barrel/rec. from Iver Johnson before they closed in the late 80s but was too late.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 05-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Suspended

Location: The Palomino Ranch in Tucson-where the real horsepower lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
I need the barrel and receiver, I can add the bolt etc. I have extra trigger housing and stock for one.

I actually like shooting the M1 Carbine better than my "black guns". It was a import. I almost got the barrel/rec. from Iver Johnson before they closed in the late 80s but was too late.
I'm going to a gun show tomorrow.If i come up with any M-1 leads,i'll get them to you.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to 1-GTO

So far I only have a 22LR Ruger Mark III pistol,use it for plinking and closer quarters if I'm Coyote Hunting,thinking about getting a Hi-Point 9mm or .45 claiber for Concealed Carry since they are cheap and have a life-time warranty.After that I'm more of a Gun Nut when it comes to Rifles for Deer Hunting and now hot and heavy into the Predator/Coyote type Hunting of calling them in with various calls and decoys...no bigger rush than going out and trying to call in Coytes or Bobcats and Foxes when in Season!

Remington 30-06 Semi-Automatic Model 742 probably around 40 years old but in great shape.

Remington 30-06 Bolt-action Rifle using Remington 125 grain managed recoil shells.

Browning A-Bolt Hunter wood stock,blued barrel in .243 Caliber using a Leupold 3X9X40mm Rifleman matte-black scope with Millet Rings and bases!Great Deer or Coyote Rifle using Hornady 100 grain Custom bullets.

Savage 7mm-08 Model 11 Hunter in wood stock with Accu-Trigger,blued barrel,3X9X40mm Leupold QDM (Rifleman) matte-black scope,Millet rings using 140 grain Winchester bullets.Tagged me a Beautiful 11-Point Buck this past Nov Rifle Deer Season.

Browning Medallion .270 WSM (Winchester Short Mag) wood stock,BSA Scope,using 130 grain Winchester Ballistic-tip bullets.Reaches out and touches Deer/Coyotes at long ranges.

CZ-USA Model 527 .204 "Varmint" 24" heavy barrel,wood stock,blued barrel using CZ rings and bases with Leupold 3x9x40mm matte-black scope,shooting Federal V-Shok loaded Sierra Blitz King 39 grain bullets.This is my Go-To Coyote/Predator Rifle for Hunting Coyotes and other Predator.It a great little flat shooting Rifle that pushes a small ballistic-tip bullet from any where to 3650 to 4000 feet per second.

Got a few other Rifles locked away in the Safe but these are pretty well my Favorite Firearms to Hunt with.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

EDC's are a Glock G30 in an OWB paddle and a Ruger SP101 357 Magnum.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob67firebird428 View Post
I live in Mass and im sure its too big of a hassle to even apply for a permit ...
Letting the Liberals win without a fight is unAmerican

Old 05-19-2012, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierced mikey View Post
Only time we can have a large clip in Mass is if it's pre-ban. Anything newer than that "high capacity" is 10 rounds
Magazine

Old 05-19-2012, 08:01 PM

I know, I know. Look at the time, it was 5:22 I had just woken up. And that goes back to before I knew the difference

Old 05-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	285174  

Old 05-27-2012, 10:02 AM

Got my first pistol yesterday. I got a Gen 3 Glock 27, came with a CTC lasergrip on it too! Now to get to a range...

Old 05-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mikey,

Good deal!! I SHOULD have my CT non-resident permit by the end of the summer. I just LOVE red tape!!!

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 05-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nixon View Post
I prefer revolvers and would highly reccomend a Ruger. That being said, a buddy bought a lightweight Taurus composite frame in a .357. I'd seriously consider one of these. Small frame, nice grips, smooth action. I've not shot it yet...
Mike
Looked at a .357 Ruger Revolver with the long barrel (bullish), smooth grips, holster, and a bunch of ammo boxes. Liked, and is in consideration.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Suspended

Location: The Palomino Ranch in Tucson-where the real horsepower lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Mikey,

Good deal!! I SHOULD have my CT non-resident permit by the end of the summer. I just LOVE red tape!!!
You had to go to Meriden-didn't you?

Old 05-28-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Mikey,

Yeah I'm pretty happy. It has less than 500 rounds. PLus, I think I said it before in here, but 3rd and 4th Gen Glocks are hard to get in Mass. You have to have moved here with it, or buy it from a cop to get one. Can't buy one new unless you're a cop. Man I hope we get rid of this AG(Marsha[Martha] Coakley) soon...

Old 05-28-2012, 09:55 AM

My current carry piece is this guy, a Para C6.45 LDA. In essence, a scaled down 1911 with a very sweet, very light, DAO trigger. Love the thing, and my coworker who sold it to me asks me constantly if I want to sell it back to him.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supe View Post
My current carry piece is this guy, a Para C6.45 LDA. In essence, a scaled down 1911 with a very sweet, very light, DAO trigger. Love the thing, and my coworker who sold it to me asks me constantly if I want to sell it back to him.
So tha Para's are good? I've heard conflicting views on them, seems like they're one of those things people really love or really hate lol.