THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default First time I've found this on eBay...

Browsing eBay tonight, I found someone selling refrigerator magnets with pictures of old cars on them. One of the magnets this pinhead is selling is a picture of my car, in a photograph I took myself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AA0331-1961-...item3373d0b566

Not much I can do about it (as soon as photos are posted online they're fair game) but I still sent him a nasty email. It doesn't take a lot of skill to simply copy pictures off the Web and resell them.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yea it sucks, but just think how many guy's are eat their Cheerios looking at your car.

TOM
Old 07-15-2013, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For $4.00 you should get one of your own car. That is still cheaper than the button salespeople at the car shows.

Technically you are the copyright owner of that photo regardless of how they obtained it.

Email jbr69gto@gmail.com

My Website www.minnesota-muscle.com

Old 07-15-2013, 10:56 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Browsing eBay tonight, I found someone selling refrigerator magnets with pictures of old cars on them. One of the magnets this pinhead is selling is a picture of my car, in a photograph I took myself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AA0331-1961-...item3373d0b566

Not much I can do about it (as soon as photos are posted online they're fair game) but I still sent him a nasty email. It doesn't take a lot of skill to simply copy pictures off the Web and resell them.
Nice car and pic. Maybe he'll give you free shipping!

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 07-16-2013, 12:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, that is a beautiful car!

Old 07-16-2013, 12:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool

You should feel good about it IMO.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
Well, that is a beautiful car!
Chris- What are your ins going to do about fixing your car? Also where did your thread go to, That was in the lobby?

Old 07-17-2013, 02:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

This isn't necessarily true - it depends on the terms / conditions of the website on which you posted. Plenty of sites show copyrighted pics. If he's infringing your copyright, you could sue him for past due licensing fees :-)

I'm an IP lawyer - but don't rely on this advice.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

People that post a pic online risk it being captured and used.

Do a Google search for 61 Bonneville and open Image at top of screen.

Majority of those pics are from owners posting on the internet.

GETMYGOAT....are those images protected when an autobot captures the image and posts on search engine site?

One guy on a firearms site I visit thought he was communicating with a group of friends when he posted his Sons medical school acceptance and financial award letter...

Had his social nu on it, full name and dorm address....more.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Senior Chief

His idea... his win. Not sure why you are upset? Do you feel like you should get some royalties?

I would be stoked if that was my car.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In a nutshell...
Copyright is with the photographer unless he has given up that right. If the photographer was employed by someone, then the copyright belongs to the employer. As getmygoat said, some website terms/conditions have you forfeit rights to anything you publish on their site. This can be contested with the proper application of lawyers, time and money.

Standard practice is to have a lawyer send him a "cease and desist" letter with a threat of further legal action, the requirement that he recall every magnet sold, and class action is he is using other photos without permission. This puts you in a position to negotiate terms. Is it worth pursuing this way? Probably not.

Maybe you can tell him he can use your picture for this purpose only if he sends you 10 free magnets.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not particularly upset, just a little annoyed and puzzled by it all. That picture is out there on the web and I know anyone can see it, but having some stranger put it on a tacky refrigerator magnet and sell it for personal profit seems weird to me.

Maybe if he had taken the photo it would be different; I've come across pictures of my car online that other people have taken at car shows and didn't mind that, but they weren't doing it to make money. I even found the same picture posted on another web board by someone who said it was his favorite car, which I found flattering.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I'm not particularly upset, just a little annoyed and puzzled by it all. That picture is out there on the web and I know anyone can see it, but having some stranger put it on a tacky refrigerator magnet and sell it for personal profit seems weird to me.

Maybe if he had taken the photo it would be different; I've come across pictures of my car online that other people have taken at car shows and didn't mind that, but they weren't doing it to make money. I even found the same picture posted on another web board by someone who said it was his favorite car, which I found flattering.
It is weird/surreal to find yourself popping up in places you didn't know about.

My experience is with magazine articles and calendars; it seems once that information is out there then the publishers re-use and re-cycle it, perhaps to parlay their initial effort and investment.

More than once I've had a buddy call and say "Seymore, is that your car in this month's such and such magazine?"

Me - "no, I don't think so".

Them - "Seymore - you idiot. Flip to page 88..."

Me - "I'll be dipped".

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 07-17-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Had something similar happen to me. I took some pictures of Adult Film actress Christy Canyon posing (fully clothed ) in and around my '69 GTO and posted them to the Usenet group dedicated to her. Well some shots ended up all over eBay as 8x10s, fridge magnets, even pillow cases. Made me mad I didn't think of it!

Old 07-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtos4ever View Post
Had something similar happen to me. I took some pictures of Adult Film actress Christy Canyon posing (fully clothed ) in and around my '69 GTO and posted them to the Usenet group dedicated to her. Well some shots ended up all over eBay as 8x10s, fridge magnets, even pillow cases. Made me mad I didn't think of it!
Hmmm....Christy Canyon

My Garage
Tarheel Tigers Pontiac Club of Raleigh, NC
Old 07-17-2013, 01:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A friend and I were at E-Town in NJ showing our cars at one of the swap meets. He walked around, found an ink drawing of a '67 GTO and bought it. As we were looking at it closer, we saw that it HAD to be his exact car as it had exact details of his car, too coincidental; '67 with Rally I's, vinyl top, Royal Bobcat stickers in the exact spots and front plate. And the guy who was selling then had to be working off a photo of his car that someone took because this was the early 90's and the web wasn't what it is today.

Just sorta gets your goat, ya know? Sorry

My Garage
Tarheel Tigers Pontiac Club of Raleigh, NC
Old 07-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz68 View Post
Chris- What are your ins going to do about fixing your car? Also where did your thread go to, That was in the lobby?
Some members suggested that I should get the thread deleted, so I did. I'm moving forward with getting the car fixed. Hopefully as soon as possible. I feel like a kid who just broke his arm in July - the summer is ruined!

Old 07-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GOOGLE Images has Stuarts car shown twice before I stopped looking....

Look down about seven lines for the "Bonny in front of building" picture.

http://www.google.com/search?q=ponti...w=1600&bih=802

Google Images (I read) said no copyright protection, but original copyright may apply.

Since they just link to the original pictures, sort of a index for pic searching on the net, many don't read the fine print and copy the Google Image picture.

What is the "planation" when someone does that....copies Google Image pic...not original pic, possibly two different servers?