Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 08-19-2013, 09:54 PM
Senior Chief

Default new exhaust options, 73 Firebird. Pypes? Thrush?

Looking at putting a new exhaust system on the '73. Want to set the rear of the car lower than it is now but the mufflers under the floor pan will likely not allow it. Thinking about putting the muffler back in the stock location which leads to a couple of options. The car currently has headers, I'd like to go with an x-pipe, not looking for something really loud as I like to take the car on long trips. That said, I don't want to lose any performance and gains are always greatly appreciated. Current system is 2.5" pipes to aerochambers, 2.5" over the axles and out back.

How are the various pypes offerings? Reading that the race pro's are quieter than the street pros but they are an extra $115. How about the Thrush header back systems? Any others I may be missing or input on any? Car probably makes about 390 or so at the wheels currently, may give it a bit of extra oomph here in a bit. The 2.5" going to cut it?

Went 12's in pure daily driver trim! A/C, leather power seats, power
steering, full stereo, sound deadening, power windows, full suspension,
true street tires, power 4 wheel discs, and 25MPG!
Old 08-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I personally think any Pypes system sounds the best on a Pontiac engine. I have the 2.5" Pypes all stainless steel Street Pro system with "X" pipe on my old beater. It sounds awesome and whgen I finally get around to restore the car, I can reuse the stainless steel exhaust system.

Click here to listen what my Pypes Street Pro system with "X" pipe sounds like

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:03 PM
Senior Chief

Any drone?

Went 12's in pure daily driver trim! A/C, leather power seats, power
steering, full stereo, sound deadening, power windows, full suspension,
true street tires, power 4 wheel discs, and 25MPG!
Old 08-22-2013, 06:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

to me, nothing beats a good custom made setup, provided you can find someone locally skilled at that with the right equipment

i know you're looking for the stock type location, but if your plans change, take a look at torque tech, their kits are amazing

Old 08-22-2013, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNLOW View Post
Any drone?
I never noticed any drone.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Get a set of 2.5 Pypes head pipes. A Walker/DynoMax/Thrush header back transverse system, WLK89021 .http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-89021. A set of stock tips and you have one GREAT system.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a pair of Cherry Bombs on my 66 and they sound very good. Not overly oppressive as some I've heard... Pypes mufflers included. Sorry, but I'm only stating what I've personally heard on a few cars and one I've ridden in.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNLOW View Post
Looking at putting a new exhaust system on the '73. Want to set the rear of the car lower than it is now but the mufflers under the floor pan will likely not allow it. Thinking about putting the muffler back in the stock location which leads to a couple of options. The car currently has headers, I'd like to go with an x-pipe, not looking for something really loud as I like to take the car on long trips. That said, I don't want to lose any performance and gains are always greatly appreciated. Current system is 2.5" pipes to aerochambers, 2.5" over the axles and out back.

How are the various pypes offerings? Reading that the race pro's are quieter than the street pros but they are an extra $115. How about the Thrush header back systems? Any others I may be missing or input on any? Car probably makes about 390 or so at the wheels currently, may give it a bit of extra oomph here in a bit. The 2.5" going to cut it?
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...BIRD&year=1973

Karl

Old 09-12-2013, 10:28 AM
PY Staff -Tech

Pypes SGF70 is a match for what you are doing.
It is only made with the Race Pro muffler.
It puts the muffler behind the axle so ground clearance and weight distribution is improved.
It has an x and the muffler has a common chamber to reduce drone.
Easily handles 400 hp with no lose and actually should improve low/mid torque/hp a bit.

78 Olds Cutlass Drag car PONTIAC powered with 440 (destroked 455), th400, 12bolt with spool 4.10z
Best to date 10.00@130.92 mph at 3250#

79 Grand Prix, will be new home for the 440
Goal 9.75z@135mph at 2900#

83 Malibu Wagon UUV Crate 350, Custom T5, 8.5 with Auburn posi 3.73z
Making it the Ultimate Utility Vehicle
Go, tow and show (not so much show, yet)
The Following User Says Thank You to shotgun For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Exhaust Guru

Plus the crossflow setup fits pretty darn well!

Old 10-04-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don 79 TA View Post
to me, nothing beats a good custom made setup, provided you can find someone locally skilled at that with the right equipment

i know you're looking for the stock type location, but if your plans change, take a look at torque tech, their kits are amazing
I'll second that motion.

Got Torque Tech on the bird. 2.5 in, x-pipe, and dyno max ultra flows. Don't know how much noise you want. They aren't too loud to me, but then again I'm not carrying on many conversations in the car or taking extended road trips. When I romp on it I want people to notice. Boy do they notice.

69 Bird w/1970 400 block(409 cubes) and #64 heads, Dude spec'd hyd. roller, Q-Jet, full original interior, ps, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, d.o.t. tire, street driven muscle. 3800 lbs. race weight. Best, 11.39 @118+ so far, but always looking for a little more.....
Old 10-04-2013, 05:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Listen to Shotgun and Tom Hand.

I'm going to that system on my 77 when its back on the street.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Administrator

The Pypes SGF70 stainless transverse system is the perfect answer to a lowered vehicle. Unlike the others, it's the only system that remains a 'true dual' system. The others have the exhaust dumping into the transverse muffler and leaving the muffler by pressure. Look carefully at pictures of all the systems available, the Pypes system is the only one that keeps two completely separate flow paths. The only thing the two sides of the exhaust share is the muffler case. Inside, they operate independently.

This system was designed by member (and exhaust guru) Tom Hand and put into production by Pypes more than 10 years ago now and is a proven winner for F-body cars especially when your already 'low' F-body is lowered further.