Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 10-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default rusty pypes

my pypes are about 5 years old and have never seen rain and have been kept garaged every night.
tailpipes have begun to rust.

I remember posting when they arrived that I thought the quality had gone down somewhat since the last set that I had purchased.
(that post got a bunch of members panties bunched up and eventually got deleted.)
well the first set still looks nice and has been stored outside.
just sayin.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by F ROCK View Post
my pypes are about 5 years old and have never seen rain and have been kept garaged every night.
tailpipes have begun to rust.

I remember posting when they arrived that I thought the quality had gone down somewhat since the last set that I had purchased.
(that post got a bunch of members panties bunched up and eventually got deleted.)
well the first set still looks nice and has been stored outside.
just sayin.
Were they stainless steel?

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

they were supposed to be.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Senior Chief

Not all 'stainless' steels are created equal. 409 is the material most OEM exhaust systems are made from now. It just barely meets the definition of stainless steel, and will rust, just more slowly than regular steel. I don't know what Pypes uses, but if you want something that will stay shiny, you need 300 series stainless (like 304). But it's much more expensive because it contains twice the chrome of 409, plus nickel. Polished exhaust tips are usually 304.

John

Old 10-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yes I have noticed that. i'm not an expert. I just thought stainless is stainless.
yes I've noticed, lately, that my supposedly stainless barbeque grill is magnetic and has a small amount of rust; also some of my silverware is showing stains where the stainless stuff that was my parents is still holding up fine.

its still a nice exhaust; and I will buy another for my 66.
just venting.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is good to know. I did notice pypes gives the option for grade of stainless steel so I will keep this in mind when I order.

1967 GTO, 432 (428+.030), 4-bolt mains, factory Nodular crank, scat rods, icon dished pistons, Lunati HR 243/251@.050, .618/.622 lift, Edelbrock 72cc round port heads, 10.5:1, offy 2-4 intake, Edelbrock 650cfm carbs, Super T10 trans (2.64 first), BOP 10 bolt w/ Eaton posi and 3.36 gears
Old 10-28-2013, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the Pypes 2 1/2" stainless steel system and actually polished it before installing it. It still looks great with no rust issues and this car sits outside every day.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002Z4CSS View Post
I have the Pypes 2 1/2" stainless steel system and actually polished it before installing it. It still looks great with no rust issues and this car sits outside every day.
what'd you polish it with?

Old 10-31-2013, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS66GTO View Post
Not all 'stainless' steels are created equal.

John
Just a bit OT but still relates to John's statement.......

Remember back in the 80's when Cadillac came out with the Biarritz and it's stainless steel roof panel. Everyone thought that was great and they'd have no rust issues. Well it wasn't but a few years and everyone that owned one found out the SS roof panel would rust. Especially if they lived up in the north and dealt with road salt.

Unless the ones selling something made out of SS won't rust, and say it's 304 it's fine. Anything else is going to be a problem down the road. The Biarritz's roof panel wasn't made using 304 SS. I've seen a few that were rusting and the owners were supper pizzed off about it. It's one reason Cadillac quit doing stainless steel parts.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
what'd you polish it with?
A buffing wheel that sits on a pedistal and stainless steel polish. It looks great! I even polished the supplied stainless steel band clamps.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The cheap stainless crap should be advertised as this will rust , as it seems to be a selling ploy . After sold , big letdown when it looks like crap / or turns into a brown rusty pipe . Then you are told oh it is the cheap stainless crap . I have had aluminized pipe on cars for over 20 years and still looks nice .

Old 11-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wonder if the rusty systems are not run enough.If a car is driven and the exhaust temps are hot enough to burn out the water then it should be fine.to me.but if the water isnt burned out by operating temps i could see premature rust issues.any idea's?

Old 12-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you go to the FAQ section on the Pypes website the address this topic very well.

http://pypesexhaust.com/faq.html#q13106

Q: What are the advantages of Pypes Stainless Steel Systems?

Stainless Steel is primarily a metal alloy that contains chromium. It this chromium content that give the metal it's corrosion resistance. It's name is meant to imply that it will "stain less" then other alloys, and not that it is "stain free". We currently have two grades of Stainless Steel exhaust components available.

409 Stainless: The price is comparable to most aluminized systems on the market. This material is used on most of the newer cars produced today. While 409 Stainless will turn a reddish-brown color and may get a hint of surface rust, It will not rust through, allowing it to have exceptional corrosion resistance.

304 Polished Stainless: Highly polished with a nice show-quality finish. This material has excellent corrosion resistance. It may turn a bluish-gold color at the hottest points. For more information about stainless steel and it's properties, have a look at Wikipedia's write-up about Stainless Steel.

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP