THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Did you ever surprise a stranger with your Pontiac knowledge?

A few year ago I went to pick up my daughter from a playdate. I spied a 1968 Tempest and a 1968 GTO in the garage. I talked to the dad about his cars and his projects. He mentioned he bought a 455 block, but wasn't sure if it was a 455. I said "see that '55' in the lifter valley? His wife came out and we talked about the colors of his cars. He couldn't remember the names of the colors and I said "Mayfair Maize and April Gold". His wife shot him a dirty look wondering how a random dad could know this.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:48 PM
Suspended

Yeah, the girl at the DMV when I pointed out they had left a digit out of the VIN on my title. She asked how I knew and I explained what each digit means from the 2 to the 6 digit serial number including the missing number in the first few digits. Wow, okay I'm impressed.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No....but I've had a few that surprised me with theirs. Like the guy that told me he bought a '68 GTO brand new back in the day with a 389 and three deuces....and the other guy that told me that he had the Trans Am with the Olds engine in it. He was doing alright until he threw this in... "That's the one everybody wanted".

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Hey, is that a 69?"

My response plays in me head ; http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yg2u_De8j5o

Old 11-08-2013, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I usually get told I'm full of it. I don't volunteer any info unless specifically asked and I know the person is going to listen.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
No....but I've had a few that surprised me with theirs. Like the guy that told me he bought a '68 GTO brand new back in the day with a 389 and three deuces....
Maybe he was just thinking of his ZIP code, 38932. lol

Old 11-09-2013, 01:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
Maybe he was just thinking of his ZIP code, 38932. lol
What's really funny about it is that this guy worked at a Pontiac Dealership. I was calling trying to find if they had any old license plate frames with the dealer name on them and we got off onto memory lane.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Whenever I attend a car event I’m not one to sit long so I’m always standing around but not next to my car. I like listening to the conversations that transpire.

I love surprising and most times correcting the parking lot “Experts” that seem to have the know all/inside information about my Pontiac's.

Most times it turns into a good conversation but there is always that one jagoff who must have been in the car when it was built based on their knowledge

Old 11-09-2013, 07:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I hear the factory had a hard time chasing off those guys hiding in the back seat as they ran down the line.....hehehehe

1960 Laurentian 283
1963 Laurentian 283
1976 Trans Am 400
1977 Trans Am 400
1951 Chieftain Flat head 6
1967 Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Firebird 400 coupe
1979 Trans Am 403
1971 Formula 455 (clone)
1969 Firebird 350
1968 Firebird 428 manual.
Sydney, Australia
The Following User Says Thank You to LeighP For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Old 11-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I pulled into my local car parts store and there was a guy in the parking lot with a pontiac 400 in the back of his pickup. A store employee was out there shooting the crap with him. I stopped as i walked by and tried to talk to them and I got glared at by the employee; he didn't want to hear anything that I had to say so I shrugged and just kept going. The "zone" employee was apparently a self-professed expert on pontiacs and he was telling the guy all kinds of wrong crap. I just had to laugh. As an owner of a pontiac 455 powered T/A race car and a TATA *I* certainly didn't know anything LOL......

Anyway, I sure hope that those "chevy" tips he was getting worked (pop up pistons!)

Old 11-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You meet all kinds.
I had a Thermoquad on my 400 a few years ago and you could barely see it. I had a guy ask about it. Said he didn't think they came on a Pontiac. Most folks ask one of 2 questions....is it a 455 and is it a tri-power?

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:51 AM

No, I don't think I've ever surprised anyone with my Pontiac knowledge... well... at least not like Warren Oates...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLhKh0RQ5Eg

Old 11-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Went to a fireworks show in my Catalina convert. Went to get a drink and as I was walking back one of the kids in front of me says what kind of pontiac is that. The second kid said its an executive. I said it kind of looks like a catalina to me. The kid says no its an executive. I didnt say anything more as I opened the door of my catalina to sit down. He was surprised by that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Txbobcat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Being that Im 21, Pontiac guys are usually suprised that I know a thing or two about them. But once we start talking, they seem pretty happy that there is a younger generation into older car, including pontiacs.

There was this one guy this past summer I ran into at a local show, and we must of talked for 40 minutes about all things 70-73 T/A. Its real cool to meet other Pontiac freaks.

There was this one guy however, who was with his wife looking at my car who just didnt get it. He was looking at it, and I heard him say "I dont know what year it is", then he looked at the dash and went "Oh! its a 79!". Then he turned and asked me if it was, and I shook my head and said 71. He looked very depressed after that

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Every time I'm at a car show, there are people that feel the need to tell those around them whether my Pontiac is a "Big Block" or "Small Block!"

I'm at the point where I hardly ever even react to those comments anymore. I guess this syndrome will never go away!

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to Dick Boneske For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
Every time I'm at a car show, there are people that feel the need to tell those around them whether my Pontiac is a "Big Block" or "Small Block!"
Ok, the suspense is killing me....so? Which is it?

Old 11-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txbobcat View Post
Went to a fireworks show in my Catalina convert. Went to get a drink and as I was walking back one of the kids in front of me says what kind of pontiac is that. The second kid said its an executive. I said it kind of looks like a catalina to me. The kid says no its an executive. I didnt say anything more as I opened the door of my catalina to sit down. He was surprised by that.
I'm impressed that a kid would even know that Pontiac made an Executive.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 67drake For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post

I'm at the point where I hardly ever even react to those comments anymore. I guess this syndrome will never go away!
I get that a lot with the "455" thats leafed on the shaker. People point to it and state "Oh, its a big block".

Hey, at least they think its cool right?

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 11-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You know, I am impressed nearly Every day with what YOU ALL KNOW! Always learning, so its great to have those little tidbits, or facts to refer to.
In this neck of the woods you'll see more Parisienne from across the border, than an Executive. Both are scarce on the roads...