The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 12-31-2013, 01:14 AM
Suspended

Default Product warning

This dude used to work at one of the shops that I subcontracted with, way-back-when. He's good people, and I liked him a lot, so I keep tabs on his vids. He also has a series called swrnc; also, he isn't a big fan of endorsing products, kinda like me; why the hell should I endorse someone's product? They aren't paying me anything! Even so, sometimes you can see various products in the background, and he only uses top-shelf products.

Anyway, I was catching up on what he has posted, and it's something to consider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Xck-1uGIU

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sts For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2013, 04:16 PM

never would have guesed it is that bad for you
he is a funny guy also
thanks for posting

original ca car
Old 01-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like PPG wax and grease remover. I probably have some. I did not know you could use rubbing alcohol.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:27 PM

MSDS on many household chemicals would scare the hell out of people if they were aware.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:01 PM
Suspended

I posted it because I use it for everything except drinking water, and I know lots of other folks handle it the same way. I have been using it as a ‘safer’ alternative than washing my hands with thinner. Vegetable oil will remove tough stuff from skin, but the next thing to come up is how it’s bad to use it as a hand soap.

If you drink beer while using w/g/r you might want to hear what he has to say. It makes sense that w/g/r molecules would happily combine with alcohol in your bloodstream.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I also enjoy his video's.He is a character lol

Old 01-08-2014, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I watched his video and can't readily recall a more blatant waste of 15 minutes of my time. Loaded with inaccuracies, starting with the spelling and grammar in his introduction and escalating from there. If you take standard precautions (nitrile gloves, an air-purifying respirator, safety glasses, etc) wax and grease remover is extremely safe. If you don't take proper precautions neither IPA (isopropyl alcohol) or wax and grease remover is safe. But don't take my word for it, look up an MSDS on IPA and DX330 or similar and you'll see for yourself. As far as removing oil-soluble contaminants from a surface to prepare it for painting, you're going to spend countless hours priming, sanding, maybe metal repair and then use a very possibly ineffectual cleaner? Really? I HAVE used IPA to clean the surface of aftermarket bumper covers to remove a WATER-SOLUBLE mold release, but that's way different than trying to remove OIL-SOLUBLE contaminants. And the IPA I used was not rubbing alcohol (30% water), but rather was anhydrous, which is commonly not available to consumers. The only way I would clean a car for painting using rubbing alcohol would be if I had a concern about some water-soluble contaminants I needed to remove, and only then after I already cleaned it with wax and grease remover (or VM&P naptha, the primary ingredient).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to paint guy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can see where a novice might find this information to be an eye opener (or eye closer, if the product is abused), but I also think a novice should not be buying some of the paint related products out there. The general public has no idea what MSDS means and will never request it. And the majority are too cheap to invest in the protective wear that can prevent harmful exposure. I applaud those who care and do.
If I want a credible source for information that can be life saving, I look for one who can pronounce what he reads.
For those who may not have watched this and do not know, reducers, thinners, wax and grease removers etc. are solvents that are quickly absorbed through your skin and go into your blood stream. None of them are good for your internal systems and can cause irreversable damage. As mentioned in the video, they attack your liver, kidneys, nervous system, etc. And get this, your unprotected eyes will absorb vapors faster than your skin, so a full face shield is your best head protection.
Also, latex gloves will not prevent absorption into your skin, use nitrile gloves as Paint Guy mentioned. I have multiple open boxes in the body shop and paint shop. We use them any time we handle liquid chemicals, paint, etc. and when doing filler work too.
I once had an employee tell me that I was the first employer he ever had that supplied face masks and gloves and wanted people to use them. He said no one ever cared about his health before.
Sad thing is I know he was right.

Last edited by 400 4spd.; 01-08-2014 at 09:11 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paint guy View Post
I watched his video and can't readily recall a more blatant waste of 15 minutes of my time. Loaded with inaccuracies, starting with the spelling and grammar in his introduction and escalating from there. If you take standard precautions (nitrile gloves, an air-purifying respirator, safety glasses, etc) wax and grease remover is extremely safe. If you don't take proper precautions neither IPA (isopropyl alcohol) or wax and grease remover is safe. But don't take my word for it, look up an MSDS on IPA and DX330 or similar and you'll see for yourself. As far as removing oil-soluble contaminants from a surface to prepare it for painting, you're going to spend countless hours priming, sanding, maybe metal repair and then use a very possibly ineffectual cleaner? Really? I HAVE used IPA to clean the surface of aftermarket bumper covers to remove a WATER-SOLUBLE mold release, but that's way different than trying to remove OIL-SOLUBLE contaminants. And the IPA I used was not rubbing alcohol (30% water), but rather was anhydrous, which is commonly not available to consumers. The only way I would clean a car for painting using rubbing alcohol would be if I had a concern about some water-soluble contaminants I needed to remove, and only then after I already cleaned it with wax and grease remover (or VM&P naptha, the primary ingredient).
paint guy, that is so right on.

I might add, how many have PPE training and apply that to the chemicals they use all the time? How many out there know how to properly fit a respirator? Folks, be smart and use proper protection when using any chemical. Check the MSDS and it will tell you how you can protect yourself and others.

As for the video...good intentions...not so good advice.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:23 PM
Suspended

The problem:
The workspace has airborne solvent in the air.

The solution:
>your unprotected eyes will absorb vapors faster than your skin, so a full face shield is your best head protection<

The conclusion:
That’s like having a pissing section in a swimming pool.

If this is an issue between a full-face shield and a full-face respirator, please complete the below sentence.

>If I want a credible source for information that can be life saving, I . . . . <

Old 01-10-2014, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sts View Post
>If I want a credible source for information that can be life saving, I . . . . <

........will watch the video link sts provided.

You are right, I meant full face respirator, not shield. Obviously a face shield won't protect you from vapors, dumb mistake on my part.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by sts View Post
The problem:
The workspace has airborne solvent in the air.

The solution:
>your unprotected eyes will absorb vapors faster than your skin, so a full face shield is your best head protection<

The conclusion:
That’s like having a pissing section in a swimming pool.

If this is an issue between a full-face shield and a full-face respirator, please complete the below sentence.

I looked up the TLV's (threshold limit value) of both IPA and Naptha, and according to the ACGIH (American Conference on Industial Hygenics) and the TLV on both is 400PPM. Conclusion: Either solvent can be handled safely or both can be unsafe to the relatively same degree. It all depends on vapor saturation and air movement.

I'm starting to think that maybe the guy in the video felt wax and grease remover might be unsafe to him because of flammability issues. He could of had an open container of it in close proximity to his (I suspect) often-used bong.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:58 AM

I work with 70% IPA on a daily basis as a part of my job. MSDS are written with "worst case scenario" verbiage to cover the butt of the chemical manufacturer. Use reasonable precautions and good ventilation and you'll be fine.