THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 10:00 PM
Suspended

It's completely bogus media statements like this that continues "the Danica love machine" momentum... http://youtu.be/WHcQ5wRZ9iU

"Danica Patrick is the most successful woman to get behind the wheel of a race car..." What?!!!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4705287.html

There are several women MotorSports Competitors & Champions - past & present - that'd agree with "King Richard" as to Danica's lack of demonstrated and/or proven race winning ability...except for the one (1) race win...

Old 02-11-2014, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Put a ring on it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Old 02-11-2014, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

King Richard. Lol please.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:11 AM
Suspended

Lightbulb

From an unencumbered by Danica hype source - The Smithsonian
Quote:
Why No One Will Ever Replace Richard Petty as the King of NASCAR
In America every car is a declaration of independence.

The special genius of this car lies not in what it is, but in what it did. Richard Petty, “The King,” won the Firecracker 400 behind the wheel of this car on July 4, 1984, down in Daytona Beach, Florida. It was his 200th Nascar career victory, an achievement unmatched in stock-car racing history, and he did it on the nation’s birthday in front of Ronald Reagan, the first sitting U.S. president to visit Nascar’s most famous track. This car carried the sport’s greatest star to what may have been the sport’s greatest moment.

Like every “stock car,” No. 43 is an outrage. It is coarse and loud and ill-mannered. It is a red, white and blue insult to civility and aerodynamics. It is a 630-horsepower brick through America’s living-room window.

“Stock” cars were originally exactly that, cars raced straight off the showroom floor with only minor modifications for safety and performance. By 1984 they were expensive hand-built specialty racing machines. But even then these cars were an unsophisticated anachronism—bad handling super-heavyweight carbureted V-8s with cast-iron blocks in an automotive world moving fast to nimble high-mileage subcompact aluminum and digital fuel injection. Part of the romance of Nascar then and now is the technological simplicity of its all-American excess.

Stock cars were also a sales tool for the big Detroit manufacturers. Hang around the tracks and garages long enough even now and you’ll still hear people say “Win on Sunday, sell on Monday.”

This version of the famous No. 43 was a Pontiac Grand Prix owned by Curb Motorsports. Slow to anger and hard to turn, but capable of straight-line speeds well north of 200 miles per hour, it was purpose-built for the longer “super speedway” tracks at Daytona and Talladega, Alabama. The paint scheme was and is instantly recognizable to race fans. The number, the colors, that Petty Blue, that oval logo with the burly cartoon half-script. STP, a fuel additive, was Petty’s primary sponsor for decades. It stood for “Scientifically Treated Petroleum.” Or “Studebaker Tested Products.” No one seemed sure.

The King was a throwback, too, in his Stetson and his pipestem jeans and gator boots and those sunglasses like Chanel welding goggles. The North Carolina son of Nascar’s first great star, Lee Petty, he fathered the next generation of racing’s most famous dynasty. This race car and that racer and that 1984 race bridged the years from Nascar’s moonshine and red-dirt beginnings to its cork-lined helmet and bathing-beauty days to the clean-shaven, two-terabyte matinee idol brand strategy the sport has lately become. Drivers now are less Southern, more corporate, more camera-ready—and inauthentic in the way 21st-century country music feels inauthentic.

Richard Petty was the thing itself. He didn’t win again, but 200 is a round and beautiful number. And likely never to be equaled. Next man on the list has 105.

Look for Mr. Petty these days in the luxury suites at Daytona, the corrugated sheds at Martinsville or the pits at Bristol, still tall and lean as a picket. Smiling. Shaking hands with fans. He retired in 1992 with seven championships, the winningest driver in Nascar history.

Maybe stock car racing is what you get when you bend the American frontier back on itself, every one of us running wide open in circles trying to get back to where we started. The world roaring by in a blur. Real race fans of every generation, the true believers down in the chicken bone seats, understand the 43 is more than a car, or even a race car. It’s a promise, a contract, a binding agreement with sensation. An uprising. A revolution. Seven-thousand revolutions a minute, an ode to spectacle and sex and inefficiency, to upward mobility and economic freedom. To velocity and possibility. It is a time machine and a love affair, a prison break and a thunderclap and the first step west when you light out for the territories. It is good money and bad fun, necessity and opportunity, an anthem for Americans everywhere and anywhere without a voice of their own.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histor...ascar-4142934/

Sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using Tapa-What?!!!

Speaking of Petty, winning, NASCAR, etc. see the April 2014 Hot Rod
"Special Anniversary Of The 426 Hemi: 1964-2014"

"The King's First Elephant"
"Richard Petty, the 426 Hemi, and a Clone of the Car That Started It All"

Check it out. Great issue.

Last edited by Alvin; 02-12-2014 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lol funny..

Old 02-12-2014, 12:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I always wondered who that burger king guy was...

Old 02-12-2014, 02:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Jealous?

Richard isn't jealous of a model.

He was a racer - something Danica has never been and never will be.

She may be able to drive a car fast, but she doesn't know how to race.

No one will ever match Richard's 200 Cup wins. Danica most likely will never get closer to Petty's win record than she was before her first Cup race.
IMOI i dont count his last win.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

But....what happens when Jimmy Johnson gets his 7th championship? Does it get an * like the home run records during the roid years since NASCAR monkeyed with the points system every ****ing year???

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Boss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2014, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
But....what happens when Jimmy Johnson gets his 7th championship? Does it get an * like the home run records during the roid years since NASCAR monkeyed with the points system every ****ing year???
It should...

The old points scheme worked fine. It promoted both winning races and consistency.

Petty won 7 Championships and in those years won 93 of his 200 Cup wins. He also had 4 seasons where he had 10 or more wins that he didn't win the Championship.

Example - 1970 he had 18 wins and finished 4th. Bobby Isaac won that year with only 11 wins. Bobby had 32 top 5's compared to Richards's 27. Bobby also finished a lot more races - completing 11,253 miles of competition compared to Richard's 9,813.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2014, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Danica is very positive that she won't race Indy again, unless she does...

Quote:
While Kurt Busch is close to a deal to run the Indy 500 this year, his teammate, Danica Patrick, says she won’t be running the race again anytime soon.

Patrick, who finished third in the 2009 Indy 500 and has five top-10 finishes in the event, said Monday that she is no longer interested in running the race at Indy and the Indy-Charlotte double. Patrick and Busch are teammates at Stewart-Haas Racing.

“I love the Indy 500,” she said. “It’s an amazing event and everyone should go see it sometime, but as far as me as a driver, I’m not seeking it out anymore. I’m not saying I wouldn’t take the opportunity if I felt like I was in a position to win a race, but after last year when it didn’t work out, I’m no longer trying to make that happen.”

Patrick, a former IndyCar star, moved to NASCAR part time in 2010 and ran the full Sprint Cup schedule for the first time last year. She tried to put together a deal to run the Indy-Charlotte double last season, but it didn’t work out.

Patrick said on the Sprint Media Tour Monday that she won’t attempt to run Indy again — unless it’s an opportunity she can’t turn down.

“I feel like last year I kinda made a final effort going for last year’s race and when it didn’t happen and it wasn’t the right thing to do for me as a driver, I really feel like I have gone far enough now without doing it that I feel like I’m not seeking it out anymore,” she said. “I wouldn’t want anything to take away from what I’ve done there.

“I’m not saying I wouldn’t do it, I’m saying I would only do it if I really felt like I had an opportunity to win. At this point in time, my sole focus is Cup, and it takes that. It really takes the sole focus; it’s unbelievable how much it takes to compete at this level. So I’ve stopped making an active effort to doing (Indy).”

After winning the pole for the Daytona 500, Patrick struggled last season, slumping to 27th in the final Cup standings. She begins her second full Cup season this year with teammates Tony Stewart, Kevin Harvick and Busch.
She says she has to have her "focus" on Cup. Her boss, Tony Stewart, managed to do the Memorial Day double in 1999 and 2001 and finish 4th in the points in '99 (his rookie season) and 2nd in the points in '01.

In '99 Tony finished 9th at Indy and 4th at Charlotte. In '01 Tony was 6th at Indy and 3rd at Charlotte.

Danica doesn't have what it takes to actually RACE 1100 miles in one day.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The touring princess would make a good politician, she's pro to both sides of a subject.

Just as most politicians, talks a lot and doesn't really say anything...............

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-12-2014, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz68 View Post
IMOI i dont count his last win.
If you don't recognize Petty's win on the basis of some rule bending, then JJ shouldn't have any championships. Cheatin Chad has been caught every year by the NASCAR Gestapo trying to gain an unfair advantage. If the last Hendrick appeal would have went the other way (and I think it should have) he wouldn't have won last year.

A slap on the wrist was all he got for his early infractions, when he got caught. The more times he's been caught the stiffer the penalties get along with NASCAR coming down harder on rule benders. Just how many times did Chad get away with rule bending over the last 13 years that NASCAR didn't catch them giving an unfair advantage to the 48 car?

Knaus is good, but without some type of advantage over other teams the stats don't add up on the win ratio.

Who can forget this caught on the radio in car?

"If we win this race, you have to crack the back of the car," Knaus could be heard telling Johnson on the recording. "Got it?"
"Really?" Johnson replied, sounding surprised.
"Yes," Knaus said. "Got it? You don't have to have to hit it hard, you don't have to destroy it. But you've gotta do a donut and you've gotta hit the back end, or somebody's gotta hit you in the ass-end or something. OK?"
After Johnson responds with apparent silence (he can't be heard saying anything else), Knaus added, "You'll be alright. Can't take any chances."

1984 Grand Prix

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2014, 12:06 AM

those were the glory days...not unusual to see a guy go flag to flag or put a few laps on the runner up.

http://www.realclearsports.com/blogn...tona%20500.jpg

Old 02-13-2014, 08:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
If you don't recognize Petty's win on the basis of some rule bending, then JJ shouldn't have any championships. Cheatin Chad has been caught every year by the NASCAR Gestapo trying to gain an unfair advantage. If the last Hendrick appeal would have went the other way (and I think it should have) he wouldn't have won last year.
As much as I don't like JJ, this is where I need to disagree with you and it revolves around another problem I have with NASCAR.

Innovation is what set the early teams apart. The ability to open a rule book & read between the lines, building cars that met the rules, but weren't even close to stock is what moved the entire series forward - hell even the MFG's were doing it - Superbirds were just one example.

The fact that Chad will still try to come up with improvements when NASCAR says that our rules include everything we haven't thought up yet is a testament to his strength as a crew chief. Ray Evernham was another building the T-Rex car for the Winston that had so many innovations it became illegal as soon as the race was over.

It's part of the series and goes as far back as the early shine runners with the beefed up springs - take that away like NASCAR wants to, and it's just another IROC race.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Boss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2014, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The fact that Chad will still try to come up with improvements when NASCAR says that our rules include everything we haven't thought up yet is a testament to his strength as a crew chief.
And here I will disagree with you.

When Chad instructs his driver:

"If we win this race, you have to crack the back of the car," Knaus could be heard telling Johnson on the recording. "Got it?"

Then he knows he's clearly outside of the rules. Knowing that what you've done is illegal is just blatant cheating.

This is no different than what MWR did in the last race this past season - and we all know the ramifications that occurred after that blatant attempt to cheat the system.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2014, 08:54 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
As much as I don't like JJ, this is where I need to disagree with you and it revolves around another problem I have with NASCAR.

Innovation is what set the early teams apart. The ability to open a rule book & read between the lines, building cars that met the rules, but weren't even close to stock is what moved the entire series forward - hell even the MFG's were doing it - Superbirds were just one example.

The fact that Chad will still try to come up with improvements when NASCAR says that our rules include everything we haven't thought up yet is a testament to his strength as a crew chief. Ray Evernham was another building the T-Rex car for the Winston that had so many innovations it became illegal as soon as the race was over.

It's part of the series and goes as far back as the early shine runners with the beefed up springs - take that away like NASCAR wants to, and it's just another IROC race.
Agree... Check out this Smokey Chevelle Link, it's a dead-on read to your point
http://www.canepacollection.com/deta...d-5117058.html especially the "Ford" frame useage.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
And here I will disagree with you.

When Chad instructs his driver:

Then he knows he's clearly outside of the rules. Knowing that what you've done is illegal is just blatant cheating.

This is no different than what MWR did in the last race this past season - and we all know the ramifications that occurred after that blatant attempt to cheat the system.

That's a direct result of NASCAR's no tolerance policy - wreck it so they can't make up a new rule! If you ain't cheating, you ain't racing!

MWR's stunt is just poor sportsmanship.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Agree... Check out this Smokey Chevelle Link, it's a dead-on read to your point
http://www.canepacollection.com/deta...d-5117058.html especially the "Ford" frame useage.
First of all - Smokey IS a legend in NASCAR racing.

The car was never raced because it never passed tech inspection. At the time - the Ford frame was the only exception allowed to the stock manufacturers chassis.

Smokey tried to circumvent the rules and got caught.

How many times have we heard it said that people want to see them go back to "stock" cars. Well - they weren't "stock" back in the day either.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Just start rumor John Force will hire her to drive for him $$$$

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've gotten second place because someone else was doing the creative rules interpretation and they full well knew they were cheating.

Upon pointing the fact out to the track owner that the tires were a half inch over the 7 inch maximum allowed, he agreed with me they were oversize. Having taken second place I asked him what he was going to do about it, the reply, "I'll tell him by next week he had better have the right tires on his car".

That slap on the wrist is hardly sufficient when your car is legal and your going home with second place.

If NASCAR would take the win away from the cheaters then it might promote following the rules to the letter. Any way you slice it it's morally wrong if you win, you did it under false pretenses. I built my own car and as you can see by the picture in my signature it's possible to win with a car within the rules. My car was examined almost each week by the officials because someone thought it was illegal, upon examination every time it was deemed legal. The feeling of being completely legal and besting your competition, PRICELESS!!!

It takes more time, drive and skill to be within the rules and win, than it does to cheat.
Something my parents taught me, cheaters never prosper.

Anyone that says cheating is racing, doesn't have the right attitude in their life.

1984 Grand Prix

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread