THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Exclamation Porsche sued over crash that killed Paul Walker

Quote:
LOS ANGELES (AP) - The widow of the man who was driving a Porsche sports car that crashed and killed actor Paul Walker sued the automaker on Monday, claiming design flaws caused both men to die in a fiery crash in November.

The wrongful death lawsuit by Kristine M. Rodas says her husband was driving at 55 mph - not at unsafe speeds as law enforcement investigators determined - before it crashed last year. Roger W. Rodas was driving a 2005 Porsche Carrera GT capable of more than 200 mph, but his wife's lawsuit says the vehicle lacked a proper crash cage and safety features in the gas tank that would have saved both men's lives.

The lawsuit also contends that a failure in the car's suspension system forced it to careen out of control and strike three trees while driving down a street in Santa Clarita.

"The Carrera GT was unsafe for its intended use by reason of defects in its manufacture, design, testing, component and constituents, so that it would not safely serve its purpose," the lawsuit states.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages from Porsche Cars North America, which did not immediately return email messages seeking comment.

Kristine Rodas' attorney, Mark Geragos, said he hired the top experts in the country to evaluate the wreckage and crash. The results, he said, were an unbiased look at the accident that refutes an official investigation that determined the sports car was speeding at up to 94 mph when it crashed.

The results of an investigation by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department and California Highway Patrol was released in March and concluded that it was unsafe speed and not mechanical problems that caused the crash. That investigation was aided by engineers from Porsche, who evaluated the wreckage of the rare car.

The differing opinions on the crash will likely be a part of any trial over the lawsuit, which could take years to resolve.

Roger Rodas was trained as a race car driver, according to his wife's lawsuit. He left behind two young children upon his death.

Walker, the star of the "Fast & Furious" film franchise, co-owned an auto racing team with Rodas named Always Evolving.

Walker's death occurred on a break in the filming of "Fast & Furious 7," and the actor's two brothers are helping complete action scenes in the film. The film's release has been delayed until April 2015.

http://www.katu.com/news/entertainme...258984061.html

Old 05-12-2014, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good luck with that one.

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 05-12-2014, 11:53 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagtec1 View Post
Good luck with that one.
It'll never get to trial.

The purpose of the action is to have Porsche's lawyers figure out what the cost of a defense might be, factor in the possible loss at trial, and then toss the survivors a bone to go away.

55 MPH, huh? Didn't the accident investigation say 80-90?

Old 05-13-2014, 12:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Our legal system is flawed. This is nothing more than a frivolous lawsuit looking for $$. You're correct, it'll never get to trial...but someone will likely make a decent chunk simply by manipulating the system.

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 05-13-2014, 02:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

She also quoted Porsche's “Carrera GT is as close to a racecar as we will ever get”.
If they were only going '55 mph' how exactly is that pertinent?

The smell of money is in the air.
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/24/4...rrera-gt-case/

Old 05-13-2014, 07:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like these idiots are looking for cash. He should have been in a bubble. But really not knowing how to drive, loosing control and hitting a tree at 55 mph he should have been able able to walk away from it? Really? I hope they don't get a dime.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
It'll never get to trial.

The purpose of the action is to have Porsche's lawyers figure out what the cost of a defense might be, factor in the possible loss at trial, and then toss the survivors a bone to go away.

55 MPH, huh? Didn't the accident investigation say 80-90?
Of course, a settlement is very common. Any neg spotlight is bad for business.

This one may continue to surprise us (like posted in the other thread), and big question is: will his family/others jump in?

Bob Dillion: you posted in the other thread: the driver would be sued, but a few of us "non legal" peeps on the forum knew they always go where the "really" big (and easy) bucks are....

.....and the fact those Factory engineers came to the accident scene said a lot...... part "accident" investigation, part preparing their defense.

Other Thread after it happened.....

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...+walker&page=3

Old 05-13-2014, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm gonna sue the hammer maker next time I smack my thumb. Yeah, that's it. The increasing number of people who are unwilling to take responsibility for their own actions and instead sue whoever they can are tearing this country down to the waterline. The person filing the frivoulous lawsuit should be stuck with the legal bills, and counter-sued for defamation to Porsche. I liked Paul Walker, and it's a tragedy, but come on.....we all know what happened here, and we've all BTDT to a certain degree.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:08 AM
Senior Chief

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHarper View Post
Of course, a settlement is very common. Any neg spotlight is bad for business.

This one may continue to surprise us (like posted in the other thread), and big question is: will his family/others jump in?
If the other family (if any?) did, the suits would almost certainly be consolidated into the instant action. And, in California, about 95% of such suits settle without a trial. As to the driver of the car, I'd be amazed if his insurance company hasn't already just cut a check for policy limits, which gets them off the hook.

Quote:
Bob Dillion: you posted in the other thread: the driver would be sued, but a few of us "non legal" peeps on the forum knew they always go where the "really" big (and easy) bucks are....
There's no limitation on the number of defendants. They're freebies, all insured, and just as likely as Porsche to cough up settlement money. The factory? Sure. But the municipality that maintains the roads, the company that installed street signs, any garage that maintained or worked on the car, the Botts Dots people, and any other possible source of bucks will be included.

I'll look up the case later today and see if I can find the summons, which will detail all current defendants, including the obligatory "John Doe 1-100."

Quote:
.....and the fact those Factory engineers came to the accident scene said a lot...... part "accident" investigation, part preparing their defense.
Damage control. Ordinary in a case like this. They knew what was coming.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

that is terrible

might as well go rob a bank then sue the police for arresting you

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
14 Fiat 500e 83kW motor, 24kWh lithium ion battery, +2 sized summer tires
Old 05-13-2014, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

These are interesting to look through.
http://www.lawfirms.com/frivolous-lawsuits

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 05-13-2014, 04:50 PM

In a lawsuit that claims "defective design, materials, etc." the burden of proof is on the plaintiff to prove with the "greatest correspondence of evidence" that the part was defective. If the wife believes he was only driving 55 MPH she is beyond naive.

I would bet on Porsche's Factory Engineers in this trial.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:00 PM
Senior Chief

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadac View Post
In a lawsuit that claims "defective design, materials, etc." the burden of proof is on the plaintiff to prove with the "greatest correspondence of evidence" that the part was defective. If the wife believes he was only driving 55 MPH she is beyond naive.
The civil standard in California is "by a preponderance of the evidence," widely explained as 51% or more.

Quote:
I would bet on Porsche's Factory Engineers in this trial.
There's not going to be a trial. It'll settle after the depositions and motions are completed.

Might go so far as jury selection and letting both sides do their juror investigations, but it'll settle. 3-4 years.

BTW, I checked into getting the actual docs and L.A. County Superior Court charges to access them. Screw that, some news agency will get 'em and publish them.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:31 PM
Senior Chief

No matter how sutpid the act, there is always a lawyer willing to take the case.

1969 Firebird 350 convertible, t-5, Carousel Red
2008 Solstice GXP 5speed manual, Sly
2008 Grand Prix, Ink Slate, Winter daily driver
2009 G8, Switchblade Silver, summer daily driver
Old 05-15-2014, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdHank View Post
No matter how sutpid the act, there is always a lawyer willing to take the case.
Sadly this is the case.

Porsche ads will soon feature a discleiner "Always wear your seat belt and a fire suit. Try to avoid running into trees at excessive speeds as bad things may happen."

Old 05-15-2014, 11:29 AM

So would it be wrong to sue the drivers estate for the wrongful death of Paul Walker under the premise that "the enjoyment of watching any further movies that would have been made by Paul Walker has been taken away"? I think the right lawyer would pick it up & run with it.

Really, I wouldn't do this, but some nutcase fan might!

Old 05-15-2014, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongway View Post
So would it be wrong to sue the drivers estate for the wrongful death of Paul Walker under the premise that "the enjoyment of watching any further movies that would have been made by Paul Walker has been taken away"? I think the right lawyer would pick it up & run with it.

Move for class action status!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 05-15-2014, 11:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to 1966goat Send a message via Skype™ to 1966goat

I think the only defect part of the car was between the steering wheel and driver's seat.

461ci, Edelbrock 72cc heads, KB 15cc dished pistons, comp xe274, PRW 1.5 roller rockers, Performer RPM intake, Holley 80508 750cfm, RARE oversized manifolds, Pypes X-pipe Exhaust
Old 05-15-2014, 12:30 PM
Suspended

I say we sue walkers family for instilling the fear of Porsche in us.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:20 PM
Senior Chief

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongway View Post

No. A plaintiff must have "standing," a legal concept, to file suit.

A fan would not have "Standing" and the action would be quickly dismissed.