Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 10-28-2016, 07:47 AM

Default 70 GTO Conv. Saddle Trim 255 Question

The 1970 GTO convertible data plate says trim is 255 (Saddle).

Did all 255 Saddle trim for 1970 GTO convertibles come with two shades of the saddle color ?

I see photos and discussion indicating the dash, windshield pillars, sunvisors, vinyl across the top of the windshield, kick panels and carpet were a "dark" saddle, but I can't find supporting documentation.

70 GTO HT, Original Owner, Atoll Blue, #s Match, 400, 4-Speed, A/C, Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
70 GTO HT, Burgundy, Not #s Match, 455, 4-Speed, Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
70 GTO Convertible, Granada Gold, #s Match, 400, 3-Speed MT, Floor Shift, Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
Old 10-28-2016, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool Actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70oldgoat View Post
The 1970 GTO convertible data plate says trim is 255 (Saddle).

Did all 255 Saddle trim for 1970 GTO convertibles come with two shades of the saddle color ?

I see photos and discussion indicating the dash, windshield pillars, sunvisors, vinyl across the top of the windshield, kick panels and carpet were a "dark" saddle, but I can't find supporting documentation.
most colors include different shades on different pieces. Even Parchment takes three different shades to do a '69 interior. I believe it was the best they could do with the manufacturing process used at the time. Add age on top of that.

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:54 PM
Senior Chief

We met on Power Tour this year...my car has original saddle interior. The Dash, header sun visors and pillars were all a darker shade. So was the carpet that was in the car when I bought it. Hopefully this helps.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70455HOVert View Post
We met on Power Tour this year...my car has original saddle interior. The Dash, header sun visors and pillars were all a darker shade. So was the carpet that was in the car when I bought it. Hopefully this helps.
Hi, Doug. Your information does help, thanks.

The car was in pieces when we bought it. The old sunvisors and window pillars were with the car, but are trash. They were a darker color than the rest of the interior was. The car had deteriorated so much that the dash, kick panels, etc were "washed out" and I couldn't tell much by looking at them.

I have purchased an interior kit from Legendary in their saddle color.

Since I posted this thread, Just Dashes called and told me when they started the dash restoration, they found a piece of the original dash color "hidden" that had been protected from the sun/weather and said they could match it. That's what they are going to do. When I get the dash and glove box door from Just Dashes, I will then spray the window pillars and kick panels to match the dash. That should get me pretty close to what the car looked like when it was built.

I haven't been able to find a sandalwood top. Ames sells a "beige" top that is close. I may have to go with it if I can't find sandalwood.

If you know if anyone markets a sandalwood top, would you post that information?

All the body metal fabrication is done. It's ready to be block sanded and with luck might be in primer by the first of December. The frame is finished except for running the fuel and brake lines. I picked up the rebuilt engine this week.

We hope to have the car on the road by the 2007 Power Tour. Maybe see you again then ?

70 GTO HT, Original Owner, Atoll Blue, #s Match, 400, 4-Speed, A/C, Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
70 GTO HT, Burgundy, Not #s Match, 455, 4-Speed, Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
70 GTO Convertible, Granada Gold, #s Match, 400, 3-Speed MT, Floor Shift, Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler