Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-12-2017, 11:07 AM
Senior Chief

Default Can anybody recommend a good Air/Fuel meter set up?

This is my current combo in my 1979 Trans Am SE with 4 speed.

Pontiac 455 .030 with TRW flat tops at zero deck for 10.1 compression
Edelbrock heads 84cc with Harland Sharp 1.5 rockers
Old Faithful cam
Edelbrock RPM intake
Dougs Headers 1 3/4
Holley 950 carb

What all parts do I need to buy in order to set up a Air Fuel ratio meter on my engine so that I can hopefully tune my carb alot better?

Old 04-12-2017, 11:13 AM
Boost Engineer

Talk to Shaker455 and see what he is currently using.

He uses his stuff on every carb he tunes and it seems to give him excellent results.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've seen this brand recommended many times on here: http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/inn-3891

Old 04-12-2017, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72LuxuryLeMansLa. View Post
I've seen this brand recommended many times on here: http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/inn-3891
Thats pricey but I do like that it reads from both banks.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 04-12-2017, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
Thats pricey but I do like that it reads from both banks.
Half the "banks" for half the Bank:

https://www.amazon.com/Innovate-Moto.../dp/B004MDT8MW

Old 04-12-2017, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use the Innovative setup. Mine is the older LM1, I've had it for about 20 years or so and still works like a champ.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:07 PM

Innovates are nice until you start introducing race gas or alcohol. Once you jump into race gas tuning, look into AEM Uego A/F sensors and gauges.

1987 Pontiac Grand Prix - Sage/Sage/Sage - GM 305/Th200-4r

2004 Pontiac GTO - IBM over Black - LSx 440/6-speed/4.10 SRA - Single Digit Stick Shift
Old 04-12-2017, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like many 02 sensors, they don't like leaded fuel and alcohol. Small doses of the race gas doesn't seem to hurt but you can easily just swap to a dedicated 02 for that with the Innovative if you really do a lot of that tuning. 99% of the stuff I do though is pump gas tuning.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitebird View Post
What all parts do I need to buy in order to set up a Air Fuel ratio meter on my engine so that I can hopefully tune my carb alot better?
If you buy an Innovate system it should come with everything you need except a gage pod for mounting and lug connectors for the wiring. You will have to get the bung that comes with it welded into your exhaust for the sensor.

I've installed an Innovate LC-1 and LC-2 and both have worked well. I put the LC-1 system in my Lemans 7 years ago and it still works flawlessly. I used their analog A/F gage and matched it to oil and temp gages that they used to sell. It looks like this is no longer an option but it did make for a neat arrangement.

The LC-1 and -2 are controllers only, and a separate gage was needed for read-out. Now they are selling an all-in-one version (controller built into the gage) but I have no experience with it.

An A/F meter will tell you if the mixture is way off for some reason. And if you are into close tuning you can see the impact of changes that you make. But it won't tell you what the engine really wants. Remember it is only a tool.

I've seen a lot of reviews complaining about Innovate sensor failures. But Innovate uses a pretty standard Bosch sensor so my gut is that the failures are due to improper installation in the exhaust system or some sort of improper wiring. Haven't experienced any sensor problems myself.

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 04-12-2017, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah I tend to think the sensor issue is likely user error. Either not letting it heat up before you fire it off, or most likely not welding the bung in the proper location.

The bung must be welded above parallel. I like to shoot for 10-o'clock or 2-o'clock. It's important to keep the sensor above parallel, somewhat pointing down so it doesn't collect any moisture in the exhaust system. Moister kills the sensor in a hurry. I'm still using my original sensor from 20 years ago, works great.

I use the LM because I need the versatility to move it from one car to another. It's also downloadable onto a desktop PC so you can log a curve and look for areas that need improvement. If you have more than one car or plan to maybe help a friend, the LM might be a better alternative.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use the fast dual sensor A/F meter, works great with 50/50 93/110 octane in the race car and all street cars.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

www.zeitronix.com

Old 04-12-2017, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastiresandoil View Post
Innovates are nice until you start introducing race gas or alcohol. Once you jump into race gas tuning, look into AEM Uego A/F sensors and gauges.
I use this set-up too. Works fine.

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up wideband sensors

At least two of my friends @Hypoxia Dragstrip had failures of the Innovate stuff. Can't say why. I am using the AED with good results. Bought a small gauge pod to mount the gauge and positioned the sensor above parallel in the header collector. The gauge moves around a bit in street driving, but I 'can see' changes when I alter the carb jetting. I am very satisfied with it.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

AFR moving around while street driving sounds pretty normal. If you move the throttle at all (which most everyone does when driving) the pump shot will richen the mixture, then that burns off. Getting into the power valve circuit for a second or two will do the same thing. So you see the AFR move up and down. It takes a steady foot and concentration to get a solid AFR reading at light throttle cruise.

One reason I like the LM portable version is to be able to download the curve on a PC and study the areas that need work. This is getting picky but it's worth the effort when looking for max power. When you see most dyno sessions 9 times out of 10 the AFR curve jumps all over the place throughout the pull.

If I can find my old dyno sheet on the Firebird I'll post it up. I spent countless hours with the wideband, downloading the curve and paying attention to the peaks and valleys, taking that carb apart more times than I can count. The result on the dyno was a table top flat AFR spot on 13:1 throughout the pull that never wavered. Funny when the dyno operator noticed that first commenting he has never seen such a flat steady AFR curve. The result was decent power output for a pure stocker and I contribute that to one reason why the car ran exceptionally well at the track for what the car is.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dynojet Commander 2 has been good for last 5 years.