Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 06-06-2017, 12:14 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Funny I talked to you in front of your race car and Motor Home for 15 minutes about your mouth one time. You must have a very SHORT memory George.

Tom V.
Someone is defiantly off his Meds! Whats your name again........maybe my memory is short....LOL!

GTO George

Old 06-06-2017, 12:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Still here Tom, just not running a boat any more.
Still have the engine though.

Just got sick of an organisation (international) that would not throw out cheaters at international events, even though the tech inspectors, president of Assn, and others agreed it was blatantly outside of the rules. Reinstated due to convenience as it was all too hard to throw someone out !.

Concentrating on kids junior dragster and turning my TA ,back into corner craver for the street. No problem with over 3 lateral G.s in the boat, so oiling on the street hopefully won't be an issue :-)

J/D is a learning curve, 4 cylinder, 4 stroke, 250cc with 3HP per cube NA at 18,500 rpm. Bit different than a Ponty lol :-)

Old 06-06-2017, 01:57 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
... Race usually assumes two competitors at the same time on the same race/street course...
That restriction would rule out LSR from this discussion- but I think you intended to include LSR?

Perhaps we could ask about Pontiac fans' involvement in other "motorsports" than dragracing?

After two semi-rapid laps of Nuerburgring left me totally "drained" I have no desire to roadrace- at least not on a track that's too large to memorize.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:21 AM
Boost Engineer

Very True Jack, LSR and Texas Mile Events would not fit into the "RACING" description,
any more than "High Jumping" would, because it is more of a personal competition type of deal as you know. A Guy sets a "mark" and you say I can do better. He gets his chance and you get your chance to prove it. Same applies to Tractor Pulling. He pulled this much, I can pull this much.

Most do not have a very good "feel" of the effort to compete on a world class track like Nuerburgring or Le Mans. Roger or ho428 might have a pretty good idea though.

Baja 1000 racing is more about knowing your equipment, having the endurance to race for hours at a time, like Le Mans, not doing stupid stuff like making the wrong turn and getting lost in a box canyon full of magnetic rock and the compass/GPS does not work,
or having mechanical failures. Each team puts up a time "Height" (for the high jump) as an example and they figure out who won at the end of the day. Baja racing, people start the course in staged intervals.

So all of those "events" to me are more competitive vs a 8 second "run" every 3 hours.
But Drag Racing is what it is. A street race between two cars run on a safer environment track with the ability to have witnesses to the "Win".

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:39 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
Someone is defiantly off his Meds! Whats your name again........maybe my memory is short....LOL! GTO George
Only person on meds should be you buddy.
I don't forget to turn off stuff, don't need help doing basic engine processes, don't have others build parts for me and then pretend like they did nothing and it was all me.
Your wife's supercharger deal (with Luhn Performance doing all of the engineering) comes to mind. You never did do right by him on that deal.

I believe the part about you not remembering my name. You don't remember anyone's name but yours.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455-4+1 View Post

Just got sick of an organisation (international) that would not throw out cheaters at international events, even though the tech inspectors, president of Assn, and others agreed it was blatantly outside of the rules. Reinstated due to convenience as it was all too hard to throw someone out !.
That's about where I am with one Sanction, big money and Cliques rule so us grassroots types are basically considered back markers. More and more lower level racers are moving to lesser sanctions and adding track days to fill in our Calendars and maybe do 1 marquee event a season with the other.
It's weird that the Sanction can't see that they're killing the growth, they do see growth of entries at Marquee events but overall entries are down at the lesser events.
Basically, once you drive them away they don't come back.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:14 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Only person on meds should be you buddy.
I don't forget to turn off stuff, don't need help doing basic engine processes, don't have others build parts for me and then pretend like they did nothing and it was all me.
Your wife's supercharger deal (with Luhn Performance doing all of the engineering) comes to mind. You never did do right by him on that deal.

I believe the part about you not remembering my name. You don't remember anyone's name but yours.

Tom V.

Tell me about my deal with Luhn Performance.........i can't wait to hear it. How did I not do right by him? I had no problems and he did a GREAT job!

GTO George

Old 06-06-2017, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm waiting for racing self-propelled RV's. Yea ! ...Itsa other form of racing. I'd watch because of rules and safety rules.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So my 67 is a street car first and foremost. 8 way power leather. PS, PB, AC, EFI etc. but I take it out and beat on it like the good lord intended.

Iv'e done Midwest Musclecar Challenge with it which is AutoX and a track day at Putnam Park in Indiana. I've also done a 1.5 mile 500' elevation change hillclimb with it a few times in Waumandee Wisconsin, AutoX Goodguys DesMoines, AutoX and speedstop with it at Street Machine Nationals in StPaul and loads of street miles. This year I'm currently signed up for Optimas Search for the Ultimate Streetcar to run Road America in October. The hillclimb again in Sept, and Goodguys Desmoines AutoX shootout and the Street Machione Challenge in StPaul.

I'm about a week or so out from getting my new 433 and im geeked. 67' 400, splayed mains, forged 4"crank, ported edelbrock heads, T2 etc from PaulK here. Then its thrash time to reassemble, shake down and drive to my races, as I currently have no trailer or tow rig.

I'm in no way shape or form a competitive racecar but I do run it hard at real events and that's more than 99% of the lawn chair warriors can say.

If you click the 4th picture down its a video link

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 06-06-2017, 01:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
BTW, my experience is when you beat a chevy racer with a Pontiac on a dirt track, you are immediately accused of cheating..............Got teched by the pit steward many nights after the chevy guys whined, and was never found illegal..........
I used to do Enduros, 100-250 laps, on 3/8 paved. We had a guy that would kick butt down here with his Grand Prix the tech guys were always stumped when he went through the process of checking his car out after a race, top 5 cars. Everyone standing around the pit area was trying to pin him on something. At the end of the night, he took home the grand prize more than once.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Used to see the dirt track guys around here use the Pontiac Rally rims because of their strength.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polichena View Post
I used to do Enduros, 100-250 laps, on 3/8 paved. We had a guy that would kick butt down here with his Grand Prix the tech guys were always stumped when he went through the process of checking his car out after a race, top 5 cars. Everyone standing around the pit area was trying to pin him on something. At the end of the night, he took home the grand prize more than once.
The funny thing is 99.9% of the people teching you are asking you questions about Pontiacs and what engines came in what body styles because they don't have a clue about Pontiacs. The one I got more than once was, tech guy "They, (the whiners) say you have a 421 in your car" (67 GTO). Me, "Nope it's a 400", tech guy, "Okay I guess your legal then"..................

The complaints and the tech inspection was always after a victory by me. Same 3 guys did all the bitching and finally I was sick and tired of it. They (the whiners) were standing there while the pit steward was looking at my car after a heat race win. He was again grilling me about what engine my car had in it. I told him in front of them that each one needed to chip in $10 for gaskets ($30) and after the feature race I'd pull a cylinder head off and they could measure/look at anything they wanted to. The pit steward would hold the money until they had their looksee into the engine. If I was legal he would give me the money for gaskets. If I was found illegal the money would be returned to the whiners. The pit steward looks at them and says sounds like an offer you can't pass up, any takers? Dead quiet, looking down at their feet one of them finally says no, we're not going to post up the money. Never had any more bitching about my car after that, no more tech inspections.......................

I was never asked if my engine was a small block or a big block though.......LMAO

To Gordon's comment, the Rally II wheels were indeed one of the strongest factory wheels used by GM. I don't believe I ever saw any broken centers all the years we were racing.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 06-06-2017, 02:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Didn't "Pontiac Dude" from Florida used to post about building engines for (dirt) circle track customers?

Although, I am not sure he exclusively worked on Pontiac engines, do seem to recall some posts talking about rod/stroke ratios and "power off the corner" and such.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatRider View Post
Didn't "Pontiac Dude" from Florida used to post about building engines for (dirt) circle track customers?

Although, I am not sure he exclusively worked on Pontiac engines, do seem to recall some posts talking about rod/stroke ratios and "power off the corner" and such.
He used to build some chevys for dirt track racing. I had a conversation with him once at Norwalk about why he didn't build any Pontiacs for that application, his answer was in the stock classes, chevy had a lighter flywheel than Pontiacs did and would accelerate harder off the turns. I never bought into that and asked him then if that was the main problem in his mind why didn't he just redrill the chevy flywheel and rebalance it for a Pontiac application, I never really got any answer.

Not sure how many people know that a chevy 400 SB is the same bore and stroke as a Pontiac, guess chevy "borrowed that" from Pontiac as they didn't receive those ratios until the Pontiac 400 was in production for a couple of years. Chevy had to make a special casting for the 400 SB because of the center to center bore spacing was closer together than Pontiac (Siamese bore block). Lotsa 400 chevy blocks were sacrificed for oval track engines in the 70s and 80s and beyond. Actually the 410 SBC based sprint car engines have just a slightly longer stroke than a Pontiac( 3.80x 4.125) so the bore stroke ratio is a well known constant.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 06-06-2017, 05:26 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
Tell me about my deal with Luhn Performance.........i can't wait to hear it. How did I not do right by him? I had no problems and he did a GREAT job!
GTO George
Better. A lot better vs your original posts. "I did", "I did", "I did".

Mark is a good guy, never complains about stuff, rarely posts, always does a first class job.
Mark did, Mark did, etc is just a proper thing to do when he fixed you up with the right parts for your wife's car.

Tom V.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 06-06-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:42 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Better. A lot better vs your original posts. "I did", "I did", "I did".

Mark is a good guy, never complains about stuff, rarely posts, always does a first class job.
Mark did, Mark did, etc is just a proper thing to do when he fixed you up with the right parts for your wife's car.

Tom V.

I've thrown Marks mane and his company's names out there quite a few, again your Meds need to be increased!

GTO George

Old 06-06-2017, 08:01 PM
Boost Engineer

Follow your own suggestions George. Work on the "I am stupid" deal first.
Too bad they don't have a pill for that one, huh George.
You are making us old timers look bad.

Tom V.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:20 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Follow your own suggestions George. Work on the "I am stupid" deal first.
Too bad they don't have a pill for that one, huh George.
You are making us old timers look bad.

Tom V.
Why because I win a race once in a while or have one of the faster Pontiac's that will go lap after lap while you sit in your recliner! LOL! Yes I forgot to turn the power off on my racecar (something you don't have) after I winterized it.....bad me! LOL! Now go away like a good boy and take your Ned's it's almost nite, nite!!

GTO George

Old 06-06-2017, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can u two give it a rest!!! It's really getting old!

Old 06-06-2017, 09:28 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Can u two give it a rest!!! It's really getting old!
Ya........no sh_t!

GTO George