Old 11-23-2017, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Frame to body alignment

This week I separated the frame and body on my 72 Lemans convertible. Prior to doing so, I took measurements of frame to inside rocker. I also noticed only the driver side had a pin alignment hole for frame and body (maybe I missed it if there were more).
I know at one time this car had been hit in the front. I also noticed the rear most frame cross bar is bent from being hit in the rear.
My question is, how do the front firewall brackets for fender attachment roughly line up with the front frame rail? My driver side is about 1/8" forward of front frame and passenger side is about even or flush to front frame . The driver side alignment pin for body to frame also appears to look like it angles to the front. With that, I assume the driver side of body may be pushed forward about an 1/8". Anyone know for sure how this is suppose to be?
Thanks,
TJ

Old 11-25-2017, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't help with measurements, but I made some steel alignment pins with info I found on the Chevelle site and used the alignment holes in the frame and body to realign the shell when I put it back on the frame.

IIRC, there are 3 alignment holes, all on the drivers side. One at the front, one at the back, and one near the lower control arm bracket.

In my case, I found that after aligning the body using the pins, the body seemed to be in the proper location front to back, but was actually over towards the passenger side too much, and had roughly 1/2" less gap between the rocker and framer on the DS compared to the PS.

I installed a set of tires and wheels and when I made measurements from the outside edge of the tire to the QP lip I could see the same 1/2" offset, which would have interfered with wider tires.

I shifted the body over to the DS and set it up for equal gap on both sides.

So pins and alignment holes may only get you part way. I would trust for fore/aft alignment, but not side to side.

1970 Oshawa built 1 option Judge. 24 year restoration/upgrade project finally finished!

1979 Trans Am - low-buck drag car project for when I retire
Old 11-26-2017, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It looks like I used a hole I thought was an alignment hole, but not. The body underside actually turned out to be an elongated hole.
Due to your post and I looked. I do now see the front and rear alignment hole, but haven't seen the third one. This is a convertible, so not sure if that differs.

Thanks for your input.
TJ

Old 11-26-2017, 10:51 PM

Hmm I didn't know that there was alignment holes. Where are they on the frame?

Old 11-26-2017, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pics found on the Chevelle site. Red arrows show the location of the alignment holes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frame align holes3.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	468730   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame align holes2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	468731  

1970 Oshawa built 1 option Judge. 24 year restoration/upgrade project finally finished!

1979 Trans Am - low-buck drag car project for when I retire
Old 11-26-2017, 11:59 PM

Thanks for the info..i already have car back on frame and now the next question..Is there a torque spec for the body bolts?

Old 11-27-2017, 12:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by soitenly View Post
Thanks for the info..i already have car back on frame and now the next question..Is there a torque spec for the body bolts?
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...14#post5182214