Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 10-01-2019, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Again, it is not possible to drill any holes 180 apart on a Melling Pontiac idler gear. Not happening. At any rate it is just a theory. How do you know the oil flow see,s one hole as incoming and one exiting. Maybe they are both intakes holes and the oil exits out the top and bottom of the gears ? No real way of telling, its just someones idea.
I bet when I pull my pump the idler shaft is perfect. I will post it.
Don’t get me started on all the errors in this statement. I HAVE drilled supply and drain hole in Melling oil pump idler impellers that are 180 degrees apart for DECADES. Do what you want to; it’s your engine, but I sure as hell do NOT want to see the crying when something goes to s$&t....

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-01-2019, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Don’t get me started on all the errors in this statement. I HAVE drilled supply and drain hole in Melling oil pump idler impellers that are 180 degrees apart for DECADES. Do what you want to; it’s your engine, but I sure as hell do NOT want to see the crying when something goes to s$&t....
Since I have ran Pontiacs for more than 35 years, street raced and raced at the track and never blown a head gasket, spun a rod bearing much less blown up a engine, I think I am good.

I know its a small thing, does not mean a lot. But how are you going to drill holes 180 deg apart on a idler gear unless you drill through the "tip" of a gear. I am assuming you drill the holes at the bottom of the Vs. Look at the pic of this idler gear on this Melling Pontiac 60lb pump. What is that 150-160 deg V to V. So the balance will always be out, you are removing weight unevenly.
I
The oil is getting crammed into the hole when the 2 gears mesh. How can there be any positive in- out flow of oil ? I just think if you drill 2 holes oil is getting crammed into both of them and there is no "flow" between the 2 because the hole you think of as a exit hole is getting oil shoved in it every time it makes a revolution in a millisecond.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040724.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	521319  

Old 10-03-2019, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Since I have ran Pontiacs for more than 35 years, street raced and raced at the track and never blown a head gasket, spun a rod bearing much less blown up a engine, I think I am good.

I know its a small thing, does not mean a lot. But how are you going to drill holes 180 deg apart on a idler gear unless you drill through the "tip" of a gear. I am assuming you drill the holes at the bottom of the Vs. Look at the pic of this idler gear on this Melling Pontiac 60lb pump. What is that 150-160 deg V to V. So the balance will always be out, you are removing weight unevenly.
I
The oil is getting crammed into the hole when the 2 gears mesh. How can there be any positive in- out flow of oil ? I just think if you drill 2 holes oil is getting crammed into both of them and there is no "flow" between the 2 because the hole you think of as a exit hole is getting oil shoved in it every time it makes a revolution in a millisecond.
Centrifugal force and windage effect. You might want to study BASIC physics. HOW do you force pressurized oil into a passage with no low pressure area to relieve the pressure of the incoming oil. Answer: you DO NOT. That is function of the second hole opposite of the feed hole: to create a low pressure area for the oil to flow to that will not re-pressurize it. Then again, you DID believe you can grind hard chrome off a crank journal.....

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-03-2019, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Centrifugal force and windage effect. You might want to study BASIC physics. HOW do you force pressurized oil into a passage with no low pressure area to relieve the pressure of the incoming oil. Answer: you DO NOT. That is function of the second hole opposite of the feed hole: to create a low pressure area for the oil to flow to that will not re-pressurize it. Then again, you DID believe you can grind hard chrome off a crank journal.....
You know since you chimed back in the thread you said you were out of, those panties will feel a lot better if you just give them a tug. Must be all bunched up.

Old 10-03-2019, 04:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Don’t forget to install a .060 harden washer behind the spring to keep your 60 or 80 pump output when using the 9/16 ball. This is a good read. Thank to all involved

Old 10-03-2019, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll see if I can find a 9/16" ball. I put a hardened washer in already. I may play with adding more washers. Initially I was thinking 65lbs is good. But I think I'll mess around and see if can tune the pressure closer to 70lbs.